Best headphones under $50?
Mar 2, 2017 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

onua1554

New Head-Fier
I want something over the ear and closed. I'm looking for something below $50 but I have a little bit of wiggle room. All I'll be doing is casually listening to music (genres of rock), youtube, netflix, etc. from my phone and computer. I've been looking at the Monoprice 108323 but I'm wondering if there are any better options.

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 10
  I want something over the ear and closed. I'm looking for something below $50 but I have a little bit of wiggle room. All I'll be doing is casually listening to music (genres of rock), youtube, netflix, etc. from my phone and computer. I've been looking at the Monoprice 108323 but I'm wondering if there are any better options.

I would add to your list the Audio Technica ATH M30X and the Shure SRH240. The Monoprice is also good. I have the M30X. It's quite good for the money.

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 10
@headphone dwarf Is the Status Audio cb1 really that much better than the ATH M30X (keep in mind I'm just going to be casually listening to music, videos, etc. from my phone and computer)? Obviously I much prefer the removable cable but I'm wondering how they compare on everything else. It's a little out of my price range but I might be willing to go up a bit if they're really going to be a noticeable improvement.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 10
  @headphone dwarf Is the Status Audio cb1 really that much better than the ATH M30X (keep in mind I'm just going to be casually listening to music, videos, etc. from my phone and computer)? Obviously I much prefer the removable cable but I'm wondering how they compare on everything else. It's a little out of my price range but I might be willing to go up a bit if they're really going to be a noticeable improvement.

I think your answer can be found in the "Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)" thread here on Head-Fi. Most of the discussions are about inexpensive but very good sounding Chinese designs--most closed back, but not all--costing between $30 and ~$100.

If you're willing to go the "ChiFi" route (I certainly am--have owned 6 Chinese headphonses--kept 2, gifted 2, 2 others F.S. here, including the CB-1), I think you'll find a number of quality closed back alternatives that are way more comfortable and affordable than the ATX's.

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 10

@Pharmaboy Thanks, I'll check it out. Is this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/822184/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-on-or-over-ear-headphones the thread you are talking about? Also, since you seem to have a good amount of experience with this type of headphone, do you have a personal recommendation for me? I've been trying to do some research but it seems like every time I find a video or a review I always get the same "BEST HEADPHONES UNDER $XX" so it's hard for a beginner like myself to weed out what actually is my best option.

Mar 3, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 10

@Pharmaboy Thanks, I'll check it out. Is this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/822184/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-on-or-over-ear-headphones the thread you are talking about? Also, since you seem to have a good amount of experience with this type of headphone, do you have a personal recommendation for me? I've been trying to do some research but it seems like every time I find a video or a review I always get the same "BEST HEADPHONES UNDER $XX" so it's hard for a beginner like myself to weed out what actually is my best option.

You're welcome!

Well, you should read that thread. What you'll find there--not all in one post, of course, but across dozens/hundreds of posts--is experience by multiple headphone owners w/multiple inexpensive Chinese headphones. Plenty of opinions (every hears music & headphones differently), but not a whole lot of selling or manipulating going on...

I'm a frequent poster there. My first really excellent experience in this realm is the Yenona Adapter Free DJ Headphone. It's a very comfortable, "fun" headphone, terrific pads, light, closed back design. The sound really wowed me--a lot of quality bass, maybe a bit too much (I sure didn't mind); pretty decent, if a little bit recessed midrange, above average soundstaging, and sparkly yet pleasing treble. They just sounded so good. Still have them, still like them a lot. But (like everything) they have some slight demerits: at least on my specific Yenona, the headphone weirdly got somewhat brighter, weeks after burn-in finished (I've never heard of that happening)...so I went on an earpad switch odyssey.

Yenona has been rebranded "Oneodio," and they made 3 changes: they made the earcup sliders metal, not plastic (my plastic ones are pretty sturdy, not what I would label a problem); the often too-loose 3.5mm input jack at the base of one of the earcups has supposedly been corrected/improved so a 3.5mm cable jack would hold (if true, that fixes the one real problem w/the original); but on the downside, the superlative stock pads appear to have been downsized a bit in depth & comfort.

Here's an ebay link to the exact Yenona I have...if they ship what's shown here, it's well worth having, though the price is not optimal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yenona-Adapter-free-DJ-Headphones-for-Studio-Monitoring-and-MixingSound-Isola-/112271157784?hash=item1a23e1ea18:g:qSAAAOSw4DJYfNyz

For a little more money, another excellent "all rounder" closed back design is the Status Audio CB-1 (retails for ~80, incl. shipping if discounted). These have been very well reviewed on Head-Fi, w/a rave review by "Z" on youtube. They are slightly warm, good coverage across the frequency range, relatively comfortable, good soundstage. I have a very big head and found they fit me, though at full extension/no room to spare (they're a little smaller in scale than the Yenona). I think very well of the CB-1, but have mine F.S. here mainly because they're so simllar to another closed back design that to me is the pick of the litter:

The Chinese closed back design, the ISK MDH9000, has been "cloned" 5-6 times--ie, rebranded w/nothing changed except small design/color/branding elements. I've owned 3 examples of 2 rebrands, and found they all sound identical--that is to say, very good. IMO these are perfect all-rounders: they do everything well, nothing badly, and a few things superbly. The bass is truly excellent. Some on that thread think they're too bassy, but I'm not one of them. The midrange is perfect, and the soundstaging is definitely better than I expected. The treble is just right to my ears: all the details in the music but zero brightness or "edge." I can see these being used for work (studio monitoring) based on their general flatness & accuracy; but even more for music appreciation & fun; all the music I have sounds excellent on them.

My favorite rebrand is the Marantz MPH-2 (had 2, gave 1 away, kept the other). Prices really fluctuate: I got my 1st pair for $39.99/MusiciansFriend & my 2nd pair for $54/ebay. They just sold for $39.99 again at MF, but are now up to $99 there. The price will no doubt go down again soon, there or elsewhere. Right now the best reputable/warranty-included seller price I see is $86 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-MPH-2-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B01E75MKRY

However, the virtually identical clone, the LyxPro HAS-30, is available for less ($59) on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/LyxPro-HAS-30-Headphones-Professional-Entertainment/dp/B018Y5CVO0

I prefer the Marantz in small ways, but they sound identical (I owned both and compared them).

The cheapest clone I know of is from Stellar Labs. It looks identical in form to the others, but no one I know has actually owned one. They're $52:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-HC-5985-/35-5985

The headphone that (I think) started it all, the ISK MDH9000, has been only intermittedly available. Just found what looks like a live link on aliexpress, priced at ~$56:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2016-New-Arrival-ISK-MDH9000-Professional-Hifi-Hd-Monitor-Headphone-fully-closed-type-for-Computer-Recording/816277_32621089954.html

So unless you're a treble-fan who wants only "clinical accuracy" (translation: bright) with "tremendous rendering of details" (translation: bright) and "highly accurate bass" (translation: bass-shy)--my recommendation would be any of the ISK MDH900 clones.

2nd best would be Status Audio CB-1 (which I have F.S.). I also have a Takstar HD6000 closed back headphone F.S. It's somewhat different from all these headphones, though it has its pluses, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back