Best headphones under 400
Jul 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

theriseoftroy

Head-Fier
Just looking for some general recommendations... Closed-back would be preferred but I will consider open. I listen to jazz, house, hip-hop, classical, acoustic, folk. I have a set of AKG K550s and Beyer T90s. Love both but the T90s are not at all portable and the k550s aren't fast enough for some of the music I listen to. Im looking to spend around $400 but per usual the cheaper the better as long as quality is suffice.

Troy

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 31
Ultrasone PRO 900. Might be a $100 over your budget for a new one, but it's worth it. Trust me. From someone who owns most of the TOTL cans out there, the PRO900 has the best bass available, and are "fast" paced. Comes with a lot of accessories too...

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 31
  Troy, it sounds like you are in search of something portable. Try the B&W P5, it's one of my favorite portables.

The P5's look very slick, but speaking as someone who owns 2 pairs (idk why), you're overpaying for the design if you're buying new. They sound good at the $199 price range, not at their $299 MSRP. I'd buy a used pair off ebay if you're going that route, they're going pretty cheap apparently.. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 31
Thank you all for the recommendations. I should have been more specific... I am looking for over-the-ear headphones or IEMs, unlike the B&W P5. I was looking at the P7 though, I would increase my budge if it is worth it. Im not sure about B&W though, I have a pair of their 685 speakers and they just dont do it for me. I know these sound completely different than their headphones, but I am not a huge fan of the company.

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 31
Hey Troy. I have both the K550 and Mad Dog w/ alpha pads. I really like them both. They have different sound signatures. I prefer the Mad Dog. I don't know if I would consider the Mad Dog very portable though. They need an amp and they are relatively bulky.

- Roy

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 31
  Thank you all for the recommendations. I should have been more specific... I am looking for over-the-ear headphones or IEMs, unlike the B&W P5. I was looking at the P7 though, I would increase my budge if it is worth it. Im not sure about B&W though, I have a pair of their 685 speakers and they just dont do it for me. I know these sound completely different than their headphones, but I am not a huge fan of the company.

Troy, I've never given their P7 headphones a listen, but I have heard they improve greatly over the P5. If you can demo them, it could be to your benefit. I completely understand how you feel about the company. I personally found only a few of their CM line and their 800 line of loudspeakers to be exceptional. However, the P5 was the only headphone that came a bit close to the Audio-Technica ESW9, which are my favorite portable headphones, hands down.

If you'd like something much more over-the-ear, have you tried the HifiMan HE-400 headphones? Those perhaps would be the headphone you are searching for.

Cheers,
Chris

Jul 13, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 31
You might also want to check out Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame list for ideas: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed
:)

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #14 of 31
If you want a closed can +1 for the Momentums. I've owned mine since last October and absolutely love them. Comfortable, great sound signature, ample bass, pretty much the whole package.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 31

Troy, I've never given their P7 headphones a listen, but I have heard they improve greatly over the P5. If you can demo them, it could be to your benefit. I completely understand how you feel about the company. I personally found only a few of their CM line and their 800 line of loudspeakers to be exceptional. However, the P5 was the only headphone that came a bit close to the Audio-Technica ESW9, which are my favorite portable headphones, hands down.

If you'd like something much more over-the-ear, have you tried the HifiMan HE-400 headphones? Those perhaps would be the headphone you are searching for.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris,

I remember hearing good things about the ATH ESW9 in another thread. Maybe I'll give those a look.

As for HiFi-man, I have heard the He-400s and I'm not too big of a fan. Their colossal size is really what drives me away. I had also purchased the RE-600 IEMs from HiFi-man and they really didn't suit me either. I think at this point I may just get a pair of ATH-m50s unless something better pops up on this thread or in my searching. They're basic and I feel that I need to have a pair in my collection...

Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back