Best Headphones Under $40?
Mar 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

jboom91

New Head-Fier
My birthday is coming up and my girlfriend wants to get me some headphones and $30-40 is her budget.  These are almost exclusively going to be for in-home use, gaming on my laptop.  A few things I am looking for are comfort, over the ear, and at least decent at blocking outside noises.

I understand that for this price range the quality won't match anywhere near higher prices, but I assume there are always a few that excel above the others within their own price range.

I have been trying to do my own research for hours and have only gotten more confused, I appreciate any help, thanks in advance. 
smile.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 26
Monoprice 8323 (rebranded kickers that go for $100) with DT 250 velour pads ~$40

And for $5 over you could get nockoff AKG's called superlux HD668B

Just noticed you said gaming...
I dont know about gaming at that price but AD700 would be the best as it has the best soundstage but go for ~$90.

Levelcap even did a video on them: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yVme7rxdTLk

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 26
More irons up for the Panasonic HTF600. These have been getting more play time than anything else in my collection. Great for music and gaming. They leak a lot of sound so in home use is best. Less than $30 too so you can get a good burger to go along with it for your birthday.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 26
sennheiser hd201 :)

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:
More irons up for the Panasonic HTF600. These have been getting more play time than anything else in my collection. Great for music and gaming. They leak a lot of sound so in home use is best. Less than $30 too so you can get a good burger to go along with it for your birthday.

I also vouch for the Panasonic HTF 600's.
Semi-closed (optimistic expression for people who want closed headphones, but have cans that are numerous of holes),
angled drivers, comfort, durability, and good details all in one!

Did I mention price?

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:
 A few things I am looking for are comfort, over the ear, and at least decent at blocking outside noises.

Although JVC S600's are mainly portable, but the things you mentioned it does very well, plus it has big sub-bass potential and with a bit of EQ it can sound really nice, on amazon it's $34.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:
Although JVC S600's are mainly portable, but the things you mentioned it does very well, plus it has big sub-bass potential and with a bit of EQ it can sound really nice, on amazon it's $34.

I would not recommend the s600's I tried them in a store, and they sounded very muddy and maybe a little muffled. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #13 of 26
I picked up some JVC nanotube phones (forget the model number) a while back out of curiosity and have ended up using them quite a lot. I'm very impressed with them for the money. They need about 2hr of break-in, and then they start really impressing. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #14 of 26
I picked up some JVC nanotube phones (forget the model number) a while back out of curiosity and have ended up using them quite a lot. I'm very impressed with them for the money. They need about 2hr of break-in, and then they start really impressing. 

It's either S500 (on-ear) or S600's (around-ear)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back