Best Headphones under $200?
Apr 11, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #17 of 51

Quote:
The best is very subjective. I like Musical Fidelity V-Can MK-II.

confused_face_2.gif

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #18 of 51
My genre listening range tends to be all over the place, I mainly listen to alt rock/classic rock/electric. oh and the occasional jazz track here and there and even hip hop I suppose. I'm open to all suggestions, I just hope we can all come to some conclusion on the best headphone all around for under 200 although it may be quite opinionated I suppose.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #19 of 51

Quote:
My genre listening range tends to be all over the place, I mainly listen to alt rock/classic rock/electric. oh and the occasional jazz track here and there and even hip hop I suppose. I'm open to all suggestions, I just hope we can all come to some conclusion on the best headphone all around for under 200 although it may be quite opinionated I suppose.

I hate to disappoint, but there's no way on God's green earth there will be a consensus on this issue. lol

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #20 of 51
I think the best thing for the moment is to narrow down what you're looking for and what you want to avoid .......

From your comments - would this be correct?

• Want an allrounder, relatively balanced with good clarity - not bass heavy.
  • Want these to be closed cans (from your comment - to listening in car or plane) - ie some isolation required.
  • Want to be relatively portable (again from comments re travel) - however you have no issues with looking slightly goofy (so full sized cans OK)

Still need to know (so we can give you accurate help) -

1. What source will you be using?
  2. Amped vs non-Amped
  3. Supra-aural (on ear) OK - or prefer circumaural (around the ear - tends to be more comfortable)

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #21 of 51
Source is probably from, an iPod classic or Galaxy s2 if I don't have my iPod but that's fairly rare, I would prefer something circumaural and for the time being I don't really have the funds for an amp, although I will probably buy a Fiio E11 in the next week or two if that helps, and balance is key not neccesarily boring, but bass heavy and sibilance is a definite turn off even if everything else is perfect on the cans. hope that helps narrow it down a bit. I really only need minor isolation, because background noise doesn't really bug me too much ^_^

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #22 of 51
Quote:
Source is probably from, an iPod classic or Galaxy s2 if I don't have my iPod but that's fairly rare, I would prefer something circumaural and for the time being I don't really have the funds for an amp, although I will probably buy a Fiio E11 in the next week or two if that helps, and balance is key not neccesarily boring, but bass heavy and sibilance is a definite turn off even if everything else is perfect on the cans. hope that helps narrow it down a bit. I really only need minor isolation, because background noise doesn't really bug me too much ^_^

OK - that helps - so add to the list:
* circumaural
* easy to drive

Of the cans I've heard - the two that spring to mind are the Shure SRH840 and the Fischer FA-003 / Brainwavz HM5.  Both relatively well balanced, good clarity, timbre etc.  Both well within your budget.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #23 of 51

Quote:
I'm in a closed off corner office with a door to it, they don't leak that bad do they? :O

Its not only about the sound leaking out, they also let outside sound in. You'll hear all kinds of ambient sounds.
You can also think about IEMs if you want better isolation.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #24 of 51
I'm pretty ecletic too.. so I ended buying the Senn 558's for stuff like classical and certain rock genres, and I picked up a Audio Technica m50s for when i listen to hip hop and electronic.. Both are actually amazing for most genre's, but each has its strengths and weaknesses.

Apr 12, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #25 of 51

Quote:
I'm pretty ecletic too.. so I ended buying the Senn 558's for stuff like classical and certain rock genres, and I picked up a Audio Technica m50s for when i listen to hip hop and electronic.. Both are actually amazing for most genre's, but each has its strengths and weaknesses.

Buying different sets for each musical genre is always better!  

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #27 of 51

Quote:
Honestly for your main genres Grados may be the way to go!

Oh yes - grados - even though he wants circumaural and some isolation 
rolleyes.gif

I'll bow out now - looks like OP will get plenty of good suggestions ......

(M50 when he's looking for something without a lot of bass, and doesn't like sibilance / sharp treble........ ) - shakes head and walks away .......

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #29 of 51
The Ultrasone HIFI 780 and Denon D2000 are both excellent cans that are very different.

Go with the 780 if you want a balanced but bright (think a step down from Grado) sound.  The weakness is that they may not be the most comfortable for all day use--at least with the stock pads.

The Denon brings a dark warm sound signature with excellent bass/sub bass but the mids are a bit recessed.  It is large but comfortable.

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #30 of 51
If I could afford all of these headphones I would buy them, sadly I'm going to have to just choose one and hope I like it, because I have nowhere to try them out locally :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back