Best headphones under $100?
Aug 15, 2016 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Michael2200

Head-Fier
Hi guys!
I've looked around the forums and have found many threads like this but none have had exactly the same criteria as me. Recently i snapped the cable on my B&O Form 2i. I repaired the headphones but they just don't sound the same (and are not as reliable anymore). 

Therefore I'm looking for a new pair of headphones (under $100) to use daily. I'd like for the headphones to:
-Have a detachable cable (I break cables like nobody)
-Be semi-open or closed back. This is because I will be using the headphones in public places (like school) and would like as little sound escaping my headphones as possible.
-Be light and small enough to be carried in a backpack with school bags
-And the headphones to be (kinda) cool looking. 

The headphones I have been looking at are: 
Audio Technica Ath M40x 
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 on ear (bit pricy but here in Sweden the price for the 1.0s is around the same)
Audio Technica ATH-WS55

Any advice/suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance. 

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 14
The Fostex T50RP may be up your alley.  Has a detachable cable, solid sound quality, semi-open, and gives you ears at the same time:

https://www.amazon.com/Fostex-Semi-Open-Headphones-Commercial-Applications/dp/B0002MT6RY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1471320953&sr=8-5&keywords=fostex+headphone

Aug 16, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 14
Also consider the Beyerdynamic Custom Street, they're on-ear, and you can customize the cups, as well as customize the level of bass by selecting on of three slider positions. Not sure how much they would cost in Sweden, but here in the States, the black ones are under $100 right now and the white ones are a tad over $100.

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 14
  Hi guys!
I've looked around the forums and have found many threads like this but none have had exactly the same criteria as me. Recently i snapped the cable on my B&O Form 2i. I repaired the headphones but they just don't sound the same (and are not as reliable anymore). 

Therefore I'm looking for a new pair of headphones (under $100) to use daily. I'd like for the headphones to:
-Have a detachable cable (I break cables like nobody)
-Be semi-open or closed back. This is because I will be using the headphones in public places (like school) and would like as little sound escaping my headphones as possible.
-Be light and small enough to be carried in a backpack with school bags
-And the headphones to be (kinda) cool looking. 

The headphones I have been looking at are: 
Audio Technica Ath M40x 
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 on ear (bit pricy but here in Sweden the price for the 1.0s is around the same)
Audio Technica ATH-WS55

Any advice/suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance. 

Spend a little bit more and wait a while until Massdrop offers the K553 again. Join up and ask there, and if more people ask then it's basically a signal to them that there are enough people interested. Last drop I think it went for $120 each.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k553-pro-studio-headphone

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 14
The Noontec Zoro II are now only about $60 and they sound pretty decent for <$100 cans. They are light, foldable and I think look good. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 14
Also consider the Beyerdynamic Custom Street, they're on-ear, and you can customize the cups, as well as customize the level of bass by selecting on of three slider positions. Not sure how much they would cost in Sweden, but here in the States, the black ones are under $100 right now and the white ones are a tad over $100.

I co-sign the Custom Street as far as sound. They are very good sounding. Especially when the sliders are in the middle position.

Excellent build quality as well.

What I really don't like about them is the comfort, or lack thereof. Very tight clamping force. My ears start to hurt within a half hour or so.

Fostex T50RP NEED a powerful amp. Something to be aware of.

Good sounding headphones under $100? Check out Superlux & Takstar branded headphones.

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 14
I co-sign the Custom Street as far as sound. They are very good sounding. Especially when the sliders are in the middle position.

Excellent build quality as well.

What I really don't like about them is the comfort, or lack thereof. Very tight clamping force. My ears start to hurt within a half hour or so.

Fostex T50RP NEED a powerful amp. Something to be aware of.

Good sounding headphones under $100? Check out Superlux & Takstar branded headphones.

Yeah, the custom street sound look like a good choice which Il check into. The Fostex are out though cause I have no intention of getting an amp, thanks for the heads up.

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 14
Spend a little bit more and wait a while until Massdrop offers the K553 again. Join up and ask there, and if more people ask then it's basically a signal to them that there are enough people interested. Last drop I think it went for $120 each.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k553-pro-studio-headphone

That does seem like a good choice, and I'm already a member of mass drop but they look kind bulky to be carried around every day.

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 14
Yeah, the custom street sound look like a good choice which Il check into. The Fostex are out though cause I have no intention of getting an amp, thanks for the heads up.

The Fostex T50RP MK3 are really, really good headphones -- in fact, they're the ones I have on right now at my desk -- but they definitely need power, and I didn't recommend them because I also assessed that they would not fit your stated fashion requirement. :)

For that matter, I don't find the Custom Street to be terribly beautiful by any means, but they're "ok" on the fashion front in my view, and the customization option on the cup covers can make them more so potentially, and they are also far more portable size-wise than the Fostex as well.

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 14

The Fostex T50RP MK3 are really, really good headphones -- in fact, they're the ones I have on right now at my desk -- but they definitely need power, and I didn't recommend them because I also assessed that they would not fit your stated fashion requirement. :)

For that matter, I don't find the Custom Street to be terribly beautiful by any means, but they're "ok" on the fashion front in my view, and the customization option on the cup covers can make them more so potentially, and they are also far more portable size-wise than the Fostex as well.

I totally agree with you. For me, most "audiofile" headphones aren't that beautiful but sacrafices have to be made somewhere and, for me its sound quality>looks. 

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 14
Should i Buy samson 850 or go with 950 to pair with fiio m3.. M3 has flat sound and 850 are on the bright side so i am afraid i might end up with very faded lows.. though i am tempted by the clarity that 850 offer.. or otherwise recommend me on other set of cans for m3.. i want to build a cheap audio setup for travel and while travelling i tend to lose or break my equipment so not going above 100$ for a set of cans for m3

Aug 19, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 14
T50rp needs good power. And it's pretty big. It doesn't sound all that fun, either.
K553 no detachable cable.  Big.
SR850 no detachable cable. Leaks sound. 668b has detachable, but still leaks.
950 often goes on good sales, is closed, if its highs are a bother EQ them down.
M40x is a more neutral-sounding M50x.  I've never heard it, but it checks a lot of your boxes.
Maybe look at the M30x too.
JVC S400 and S500, no detachable, but sound nice, small and folds up.  On-ear.  Plasticky but cool enough looking imo.

I wouldn't want to carry around the bigger headphones every day.  

If you want to blast sound in quiet areas, you probably have to go with IEMs.  For $100 you can get 20 pairs of KZ EDR2.  Or a Rock Zircon or something.

edit: oh, I just realized the OP's thread was getting hijacked on a couple of those.

Aug 20, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #13 of 14
  T50rp needs good power. And it's pretty big. It doesn't sound all that fun, either.
K553 no detachable cable.  Big.
SR850 no detachable cable. Leaks sound. 668b has detachable, but still leaks.
950 often goes on good sales, is closed, if its highs are a bother EQ them down.
M40x is a more neutral-sounding M50x.  I've never heard it, but it checks a lot of your boxes.
Maybe look at the M30x too.
JVC S400 and S500, no detachable, but sound nice, small and folds up.  On-ear.  Plasticky but cool enough looking imo.

I wouldn't want to carry around the bigger headphones every day.  

If you want to blast sound in quiet areas, you probably have to go with IEMs.  For $100 you can get 20 pairs of KZ EDR2.  Or a Rock Zircon or something.

edit: oh, I just realized the OP's thread was getting hijacked on a couple of those.

Have a small brain derp, what headphones do you mean Samson "950"s or? IEMs aint my thing cause I can't get them to stay inside my ear (besides the Apple Earpods, which despite the hate, have a great design). So, it looks like the m40x/m30xs should be a choice I should lean on. No thoughts on the Ath-WS55?  Thanks for the advice, it helped clarify which headphones I probably should throw out of the equation!

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #14 of 14
  Have a small brain derp, what headphones do you mean Samson "950"s or? IEMs aint my thing cause I can't get them to stay inside my ear (besides the Apple Earpods, which despite the hate, have a great design). So, it looks like the m40x/m30xs should be a choice I should lean on. No thoughts on the Ath-WS55?  Thanks for the advice, it helped clarify which headphones I probably should throw out of the equation!

Yes, Samson SR950.  They don't check many of your boxes, but the prior random post mentioned them and then after replying I realized it wasn't you.  

I don't think WS55 has detachable cable. And looks a little cheap. If you're considering those, may as well consider things like the Tascam MX2 (and its probable clones) that should be pretty cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back