Best HeadPhones To Go Balanced
May 18, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #16 of 19
while it may be true that every headphone improves in balanced operation (assuming you believe in the benefits of going balanced), it also seems true that the improvements are more apparent or to a larger degree on some headphones as opposed to others, so i think the question is accurate; at least that was my inquiry.
smily_headphones1.gif

i mean if you own headphone w and it is your favorite headphone but everyone said making it balanced resulted in little improvement over single ended, at least when compared to headphones x, y, and z, then you would consider that and may decide that the money required to recable and/or buy an amp (and possibly source as well) is not worth it.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #17 of 19
This is an old thread that I came across due to a link in a more recent thread.
I'd like to add the Edition 9 to the list of hp that improve with balancing. I love the Edition 9 SE, but its gets even better in balanced mode in my experience. The soundstage widens and deepens to make a "fuller sound", better separation of instruments/voices, and the texture of the sound becomes even smoother or more refined.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #18 of 19
im going to balance my 650s one day. I heard a few balanced pairs at canjam this year and they dropped my jaw..with Headroom Max Balanced it was HEAVEN.

Out of everything at canjam, i can honestly say that i wanted that amp the most =)

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #19 of 19
Balanced v SE is a dilemma. I have balanced Alessandro MS1, Hifiman HE500, fostex Rp40 modded. I found a slight improvement soundstage, articulation and separation. But in my opinion it did not justify the cost as my mood probably made more difference. I prefer my Mapletree tube amp(SE) to balanced. On the other hand Grado Gs1000, Sennheiser Hd600 scale up and definition improves dramatically in balanced mode. They never sound as good in SE mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back