Best headphones that don't need an amp?
Feb 19, 2011 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

KamillaLove

New Head-Fier
I would like to plug the headphones directly into the 3.5mm output of my DAC, because there is no space to place an amp behind my computer screen. I want the same high resolution performance as from Stax headphones but without any amp. Which high-end headphones can be driven without an amp?

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 14
No headphones can be driven without an amp. If your dac has a headphone out, it has an amp inside it, unless the 3.5mm is lineout instead, in which case you can't use headphones with it. Well you can but it won't be a very thrilling experience...

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I am using EMU0404 USB DAC. Does the 3.5mm output include an amp?

Hmm, plug your headphones here, I guess?

Yes it does have a headphone amp.
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
As far as I know, please correct me someone if I'm wrong, but every DAC has an amp.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think not necessarily. On computers soundcards and such we usually see a "line-out/headphone jack", but actually that's bad nomenclature. A real line-out signal wouldn't even drive headphones.
But in practice, I think every single USB DAC out there has a headphone amp built-in.

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 14
The EMU 0404 does have a headphone amp built it.  It isn't particularly good, but it is OK.  The Sennheiser HD 598 and the previous model HD 595 which is still available although discontinued and priced much lower now are both quite decent without a dedicated headphone amp and quite acceptable from the jack of the EMU 0404.  Just about any headphone, like the ATH M50, which people refer to running out of their ipod without a dedicated headphone amp will do fine.  I use the headphone jack out of the EMU 0404 fairly frequently.  It's better than the output from my ipod and worse than the output from a Little Dot Mark III. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:

Good to know.  
Are they that good? 

They both are more into studio sounds, on the K-701/2 side. The question is if the OP will be satisfied with other studio cans like the K-702, K-240MKll, K271MKll, GMP 8.35, M-50.
The Sony CD-3000's are very expensive for second hand hps, around 450-$500. in this price range you can get the K-702 and a good hps amp like the, Matrix m-stage, Meier, Arietta/Headfive, or even the Heed Canamp (used from F/S forum).

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #14 of 14
grados

Users who are viewing this thread

Back