Best headphones/setup for The Beatles?
Jul 29, 2007 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

jellybones

500+ Head-Fier
I've got a really good collection of lossless DESS Blue box Beatles albums. I listen to them on a daily basis and I'm wondering what people think a system that best suits their music would look like.

Do you think the HF-1 would do well? They are on their way to me. (Well, already here..but can't pick them up from the PO until Monday.)

My setup is in my sig. Of course, like everyone else I'm itching to upgrade. What do you guys think?

Jul 29, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 29
Oh No! The Beatles!!

I Love the Love album through the MS2i!

I really dig the early Beatles with my MS-1 when I'd really like to be on stage or in the studio with them!

".....excuse me George; didn't mean to bump your guitar, nice Gretsch by the way!"

And for some of the later stuff with a wider range of instruments and effects, I like to sneak in with some HD600!

Yeah; I know. I'm not really helping here.
frown.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 29
I think all Grado with fit Beatles well - both on the sound and the look
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 29
Thanks for the replies.
Yeah, I mainly dig most of the later stuff..Rubber Soul and on.

Favourite probably..Magical Mystery Tour.

Ah, yes that Love album. I really want to get the vinyl copy of that.

Jul 29, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 29
Fine choice in headphones. One thing that may be worth looking into down the road is an amp that has cross feed. Many of the Beatles songs are recorded strong left or strong right (all vocals in the right ear and all guitars in the left). I have found that cross feeding older albums to be a good thing.

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 29
Side-stepping your criteria for a moment...

The perfect 'Beatles rig' for my money would be:

The entire Beatles collection on high quality vinly.

The best vinly rig you could afford.

A pair of Grados, preferably the PS-1s, but since they are near impossible to come by, the RS-1s would be my second pick.

An upgraded/custom MAD Ear+ purist HD for amplification.

A 'Cordacross' or some other sort of a crossfeed circuit would be advised to prevent you from getting seasick while listening to recordings with extreme hard left/right panning.

Back to reality suggestions:

RS-1s with a MAD Ear+ purist HD for amplification and a 'Cordacross'. Roll pads to tastes (sample bowls and flats at the bare minimum). My second pick for phones would be either the MS-2is or the HF-1s.

Based on your signature, I think you are in fine shape to listen to your Beatles collection. Just be sure to sample different pad configurations with the HF-1s, and consider either using some sort of digital crossfeed from your PC, or look into an external crossfeed unit. Some people don't care for crossfeed, and I would tend to agree with them when it comes to more modern music. But in cases where there is hard panning left and right (like old Beatles recordings, etc) I think crossfeed is invaluable.

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 29
Thanks everyone. lmilhan, thank you specifically. I have a pretty nice vinyl rig that I bought in the sale forums. Restored Rotel RP2400 with Sumiko Pearl cartridge.

I have been looking into the MAD Ear+ purist.

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people don't care for crossfeed, and I would tend to agree with them when it comes to more modern music. But in cases where there is hard panning left and right (like old Beatles recordings, etc) I think crossfeed is invaluable.

sorry to detour from the OPs question

what's a good track to really open my eyes to crossfeed?
i have it on my bithead and i really can't tell the difference when the crossfeed is on or off

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry to detour from the OPs question

what's a good track to really open my eyes to crossfeed?
i have it on my bithead and i really can't tell the difference when the crossfeed is on or off

Eleanor Rigby. Once that opens your eyes (ears), you'll start to hear the xfeed's influence on bunches more of their songs.

(I'm 3/4s deaf in one ear, and cannot listen to ye olden Beatles - or lots of other '60s stuff - through headphones w/o crossfeed; elsewise, too many of the tracks sound something like clear instruments through the good ear and super-muddied vocals in the other.)

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #12 of 29
Im not a huge beatles fan, but I have the white album, Love and Sgt Pepper. I'm almost ashamed to admit that Ive only recently added these to my collection.

Another RS1 vote from me. Amp them with something detailed and warm... PPXslam, Woo-6, EC/SS or AE-2, the latter-2 if you're on a tighter budget. All are great RS1 amps IMHO, groovy-warm yet not brutally analytical/detailed.

If I had to pick a runner up it would be the HF1.

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torula Yeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eleanor Rigby. Once that opens your eyes (ears), you'll start to hear the xfeed's influence on bunches more of their songs.

(I'm 3/4s deaf in one ear, and cannot listen to ye olden Beatles - or lots of other '60s stuff - through headphones w/o crossfeed; elsewise, too many of the tracks sound something like clear instruments through the good ear and super-muddied vocals in the other.)

It's a shame isn't it? I was amazed after an op on one ear (cementing two bones) which gave me more even frequencies. Beatles stuff was particularly noticable. Looks like I really do need to get a crossfeed amp. I guess you use crossfeed with everything? I guess that mucks up soundstage?

Jul 29, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #14 of 29
listen with what the beetles originally used themselves: fullrange bookshelf speakers powered by EL84 tube amp... they seemed very fond of this combo.

headphones and The Beetles don't go along together IMHO, there is some crazy stereo panning that sucks the realism out of the music. crossfeed helps but tends to change the tonality of the sound.

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 29
Listening to Magical Mystery Tour on my MS-1's, as I type, and it sounds AWESOME!! I'm sure any GRADO will do The Beatles great, especially HF-1. You can't go wrong, HF-1 + Beatles = Winning combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back