Best Headphones per Genre?
Jun 20, 2007 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

reorx

100+ Head-Fier
Ive been voraciously reading almost all threads here lately, planning my eventual rise in the headphone ranks, and from what ive read, it seems that Grados are the undisputed champs when it comes to rock and classic rock, and just guitar-based music in general (due to their "brightness" and "in-your-facce" sound, terms which i honestly do not understand)

Which is why i purchased some SR-60's (along with some bowls to sample the 80 sound, as well as to do the comfy sock mod) since rock is my primary music of choice.

However, i do notice (and have read as well) that the 60's dont do as well for classical and electronica, as well as some jazz where some of the notes that Miles hits just dont sound right.

So, since I want to enjoy my collection (i listen to all genres really, except for maybe bubblegum european techno) to its fullest, what are the best headphones to get per genre?

Next to rock, i enjoy classical. What phones best represent classical? I know source and amp is also a factor. i use either lossless or high bitrate mp3s (192 cbr mostly) through an ipod and go-vibe v5, or through my pc with an upcoming still-undecided dac (probably bithead). From what ive read, the classical champs are Senn's in general, particularly the 595's or the 650's. Is this true?

For electronica, ive read that Beyer D880's and D990's are the way.

I have no idea what phones are best for jazz, blues, big band music.

Do you really believe in genre-specific headphones or is there a best over-all jack-of-all-trades phones out there?

Thanks, based on feedback from my query, i can finally decide what next to get. Arg. I shoudlve listened to all the warnings and run away from this place as soon as i got my grados.
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 17
Where do the AKGs belong in these rankings?

And whats the logical next step from an sr-60, if i want a more classical oriented listening experience, 555's? Or should i just stick to the grado sound (which i find very much to my liking. I like my music bright)

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And whats the logical next step from an sr-60, if i want a more classical oriented listening experience, 555's? Or should i just stick to the grado sound (which i find very much to my liking. I like my music bright)

I would try the DT880 if I were you, based on these few comments you have given.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
classical music = sennheiser
bass-heavy (hip hop, electronica, gaming, movies) = beyer dynamic
rock, jazz, metal = grado

Blues sounds good with all cans.
And all music sounds good with KSC75!!

But individual headphones may vary.

Also I've never heard a bass-heavy BD other than the DT770.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 17
I'm a great believer in having a set of complementary phones; one for the rock side of things and another one for the bigger classical side of the ledger. Additionally there can be a fairly great overlap where they both can sound great. There are days when everything sounds better brighter while another day the same stuff sounds better darker. I have a variable Tinnitus problem so how I "hear" is different on some days. Having two sets of phones with some fairly major differences can make the difference in a fun listening session or no fun at all.

"In your face" is another reason why I like THREE sets of cans! My HD600 give me a nice wide soundstage which makes me feel as though I'm comfortably back a few rows in the concert hall, while my MS2i put me right up front leaning on the stage, with their relatively average soundstage. Now then; if I wanna crawl right on up there and get right in with the performers where I have to keep my elbows in so I don't hit their guitars, then my nice forward "in THEIR face" MS-1 come in handy!

Jun 21, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

AKGs are similar to the KSCs in a sense that they're more of utility headphones that can cover most all genres. Each of their headphones are more specialized toward gaming or classical or whatever.

Quote:

I agree with 003, if you've got an amp already, DT770 (if you want to turn into Darth Beyers) or DT880 is your best bet considering what you've said.

You've already got the Grado sound which is why I don't recommend the MS-1 or SR-225. I believe one of the Beyers will serve you better... if you don't feel like upgrading to the Darth Beyer, definitely DT880!!!

Jun 21, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 17
He said he wanted a brighter sound though, and the Darth beyers I have read are the definition of warm which is why I did not recommend them.

Also, I do not think akg is a "utility" headphone maker, at least not the K501, K701 or K1000 anyway. Maybe the K701 but not the 501 (from what I've read) or 1000.

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 17
Great all-arounders:

HD 650 (non offensive & portable) non-expensive, possibly expensive to amp
Stax 4070 (rock, jazz, hip-hop, etc.) espensive, expensive to amp
Omega II (statement headphone) espensive, expensive to amp

Jun 21, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #11 of 17
I think the good all arounders are HE90/Qualias/K1000s. Hrm I am not familiar enough with the O2s to comment, but from what I seem to be feeling is that headphones with really big soundstage turn out to be more versatile as genre goes.

Grados and ATs which for me have generally had less soundstage are more rock oriented/fun headphones.

Lesser Sennheisers still have pretty decent soundstage and I feel they are pretty good for everything, but evidentally many disagree. O2 also has big soundstage as does R10 and all of these are supposed to slant towards the classical side.

I don't know where Ultrasone falls. I know the Ed9s can do rock for sure but everything else? No idea.

Jun 21, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #12 of 17
I feel the Denon AH-D2000 is a great all arounder.

Electronica is the SA5000's middle name, as long as it isn't electronica that is dependent on heavy bass (in which case I'd recommend D2000). The DT990 is way too bassy, in my opinion, for electronica.

Jun 21, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are days when everything sounds better brighter while another day the same stuff sounds better darker. I have a variable Tinnitus problem so how I "hear" is different on some days. Having two sets of phones with some fairly major differences can make the difference in a fun listening session or no fun at all.

x2 here!
Some days, *none* of my cans sound "right" and I just abort my listening session that day. Godd thing that is infrequent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back