Best Headphones, or Earbuds Under $30
Jan 27, 2015 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kitkazmat24

New Head-Fier
Looking for the best bang for my buck in terms of sound not so much build. I have read into Xiaomi Pistons 2, Porta Pros, and Monoprice 8323, but I want a solid reviews or recommendations before I purchase some new headphones.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 13
$30 gives us little to work with, especially since you didn't tell us--

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound and don't isolate well)?

What equipment will be feeding and powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

If you don't buy in the U.S.--where you buy?

Pending those answers, check the buying guide:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 13
Honestly, at $30 p, either save up a bit more, or just go to bestbuy and grab something that seems pretty well made. You arent going to get much better than whatever came with your phone for $30.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 13
Honestly, at $30 p, either save up a bit more, or just go to bestbuy and grab something that seems pretty well made. You arent going to get much better than whatever came with your phone for $30.

you can get pistons for as low as $18 and they trump any stock earphones that come with any phone. 

OP, for around $12 the soundsoul s-018's are a great choice or if you can swing $30-35, the TTPOD T1E are a great choice.  Piston2 are great too, but i upgraded to the T1E from the Pistons and the T1E is better in almost every way.  i have not personally heard the S-018 but based on what i've read, they are amazing for the price and some people compare them with IEM's costing much much more.  all of these options will blow away what you can get at best buy for $30.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 13
Superlux HD681--very detailed, slightly treble-forward, solid bass and mids, excellent soundstage for the money--around $31.99, amazon. Lots of mods available for these cans, if you're into that kind of thing. Many people on this site have this or a related SL, even while also listening to much more expensive cans, which says something about the brand.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 13
1. Yes I'm okay with leakage and little isolation.

2.I will be using this on Note 3 and laptop, and planning to buy on amp.

3.Mellow sound with a slight bass, or just balanced.

4. I'm planning on using these at home many, but maybe some times outdoors.

5. Buying in US.

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 13
1. Yes I'm okay with leakage and little isolation.

2.I will be using this on Note 3 and laptop, and planning to buy on amp.

3.Mellow sound with a slight bass, or just balanced.

4. I'm planning on using these at home many, but maybe some times outdoors.

5. Buying in US.

Suggest that you put whatever money you planned to spend for your amp and move it to you headphone/IEM purchase budget.

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 13
LG quadbeat 3 maybe

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 13
Can't go wrong with porta-pros (unless you have long hair). KSC75 are good too, but the two pairs I've had broken rather quickly. On another thread someone was saying the koss KTXPro1 was very good as well. JVC Flats are nice for ~12

Haven't tried them but VE Monks earbuds are $5 and highly praised if you are patient for shipping from china  http://www.head-fi.org/products/venture-electronics-ve-monk

IEM wise, Carbo Tenore would be my rec (there is also Carbo Basso, i have not tried), a little above 30. 

Feb 1, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #13 of 13
I have read many reviews that make clear that the Portapros are really THE choice at the low end. Basically, however much they cost should be what you should be willing to pay. Don't go below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back