Best headphones, no amp, no budget
Mar 8, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #17 of 37
No amp? LCD-X

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #18 of 37
Bang for buck, you won't beat the V-Moda M100 or Hifiman HE-400. Past the 3-400 dollar price range, diminishing returns hit hard. Start there, and then decide if you really need to move up. I'd imagine you'd be satisfied for a long time!

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #19 of 37
  No amp? LCD-X

+1 , relatively easy to drive, great bass if you like rap/hip-hop and one of the best headphones around if money really is no object ($1700). ultimately getting an amp would improve just about any headphone so I wouldn't spend that much on headphones to drive them with an iPhone

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #20 of 37

+1 , relatively easy to drive, great bass if you like rap/hip-hop and one of the best headphones around if money really is no object ($1700). ultimately getting an amp would improve just about any headphone so I wouldn't spend that much on headphones to drive them with an iPhone

If he is going to use them as portable headphones then it may not be a great choice. 

Would be great for the OP to tell us more about what he wants. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #21 of 37
Also, if your coming from Beats I wouldn't jump in somewhere up top, maybe try something like the Sennheiser Momemtum. They are affordable ($300), great sounding, stylish, closed-back and designed for portable use. Jumping in at the complete top is kind of silly if you don't even know what good sounds like yet.

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #22 of 37
  If he is going to use them as portable headphones then it may not be a great choice. 

Would be great for the OP to tell us more about what he wants. 

Yeah, that's why I revised my recommendation for him. But in fairness he did ask for what we thought was the "best" headphone not necessarily most practicle. the momentums are definately a solid first step up from Beats.

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #23 of 37

Yeah, that's why I revised my recommendation for him. But in fairness he did ask for what we thought was the "best" headphone not necessarily most practicle. the momentums are definately a solid first step up from Beats.

Yeah, they are even though I don't like them. Too warm and smooth for my taste and kind of congested. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #24 of 37
Thank you all for your recommendations! I looked up all the headphones you mentioned. 
redface.gif

I'll start by saying that you should keep in mind that I currently use beats pro ($450) and it's the best SQ I've ever had the chance to experience (it's the only pair over $100 i've ever owned). That being said, whatever my final choice is, I trust you that the SQ is considerably better and that I will notice it right away, because otherwise it would be a deceiving purchase. 
frown.gif

So here's what I narrowed it down to:

- B&O H6s ($400): I really like how they look, I liked them the most as far as appearance goes;
- Sennheiser Momentum and NAD HP50 are both the same price ($300) and I like both designs, maybe the Seinnheisers more though, so which one is better in terms of SQ?
- V-Moda M100 ($310): I'm undecided on the design, but from what I gathered they have the best bass so they might be an interesting option;
- Then there's the LCD-Xs, which are 6x the price (1700$)... I like the design, although they seem a little heavy for travel/gym/school use (I assume they put the other headphones' SQ to shame though??)
- The other models not mentioned in this post were disregarded simply because I didn't like their design, and I disregarded the JVC HA-S680 ($65) because it clearly isn't an upgrade from what I have. 
tongue.gif

So I guess for now the bottom line is: B&O H6 vs Sennheise Momentum/NAD HP50 vs V-Moda M100 vs LCD-X. (although I'm open to new suggestions!)
Since I know nothing about SQ and what to look for in the specs, I ranked them by design.
Just (another) reminder from OP: I won't buy an amp, it's for my iPhone/iPod (mostly Rap/Hip-Hop) and the main goal is to UPGRADE from pro beats' SQ (which BTW sound great to me, but I wanna know what I've been missing out on, because music is a big part of my life.) 
smile_phones.gif

Thanks again for your posts! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #26 of 37
My current favorite is the B&O H6 (seriously sexy+comfortable+neutral) but for you I would definitely recommend the V-Moda M100 for the crazy bass and/or the Bowers and Wilkins P7 for luxurious looks/build and fun, great sound. All of these are streets ahead of your beats. I think you may be disappointed that the H6 places no/very little emphasis on the bass. The momentums were fine (excellent design + accessories) but were too small on my average sized ears and were quite uncomfortable for me.

In terms of sound I would say the NAD HP50 edges out all four headphones I mentioned with the H6 and P7 following closely behind (even if the HP50 looks pretty funky on-head).

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #27 of 37
N
Best headphone + no amp = stupid goal.

Not necessarily. While this guy isn't on a budget (being on a budget would be a good reason), some people truly want to be portable/simple. And considering the options (I'd say we're entering a golden age of closed portables), it may not be as necessary to use an amp anymore.

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #29 of 37
Also if there is no budget and you want portability without an amp I would look into a high quality portable player like the Astell and Kern AK240 or the AK120. Running something like an LCD-X out of an IPhone or something similar seems like it would be a bottleneck in performance.

http://www.astellnkern.com/

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #30 of 37
For the gym and on the go? You may be better served by the ruggedness of the m100 over the momentum.... But the momentum would edge out the m100s tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back