Best headphones, no amp, no budget
Mar 9, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #31 of 37
Overall, I agree. But it's an reasonable question for portable. (I wouldn't carry an amp either.)

Why would that be a stupid goal? It seems as though he wants to be portable.

Agreed. I have/had portable amps and found them to be too much of a burden to carry for me. Plus having to keep two devices charged? PIA. Portability is about convenience.

There are plenty of good headphones around that don't need an amp. You also don't have to spend $2000. In addition to those already suggested Beyerdynamic DT1350 & Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 32 will work well unamped and sound better than Beats.

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #32 of 37
Agreed. I have/had portable amps and found them to be too much of a burden to carry for me. Plus having to keep two devices charged? PIA. Portability is about convenience.

There are plenty of good headphones around that don't need an amp. You also don't have to spend $2000. In addition to those already suggested Beyerdynamic DT1350 & Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 32 will work well unamped and sound better than Beats.

I know very little about headphones specs but isn't 80 ohms too much for iPhone use? I think for now I'm leaning towards the M-100s or the B&W P7s

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #34 of 37
I know very little about headphones specs but isn't 80 ohms too much for iPhone use? I think for now I'm leaning towards the M-100s or the B&W P7s

The DT1350s work very well with many portable devices. I don't remember anyone saying that there is a problem with the iPhone. Worked fine with my Samsung Note 2. You could always ask questions here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/564273/the-beyerdynamic-tesla-dt-1350-fan-club

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #35 of 37
  Also if there is no budget and you want portability without an amp I would look into a high quality portable player like the Astell and Kern AK240 or the AK120. Running something like an LCD-X out of an IPhone or something similar seems like it would be a bottleneck in performance.

http://www.astellnkern.com/

Wow that player looks sick, I had no idea such thing existed! But how much does it change the SQ? I'm always a little sceptical when I see graphs and technical details, I ask myself if the difference is really perceivable by our ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back