Best headphones horror movies?
Nov 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Big Daddy Cool

New Head-Fier
Hey,
I have been lurking around and I have finally decided to go for ultrasone 2500, mainly for horror movies and computer games, for $245!

Before I make final purchase, I would like to ask which headphones would you rather recommend for horror movies? I know ulrtasone 780 or ath-900 would have been really good for gaming, but at $245 for 2500? The price is too awesome to pass-up. Unless I can get better ones under $400 for my needs, thanks. By the way I think bass tends to be real nice in horror games such as dead space!

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 16
Any relatively strong bassed closed headphone. Definetly closed to enhance the rather claustrophobic feeling.

Beyerdynamic DT770 should do nicely. As do Ultrasone Pro 750, a closed version of Pro 2500.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 16
Isn´t horror movies all about the treble? screeching girls and what not?

I wouldn´t necessary say closed but headphones with a thick atmosphere. (generally closed though) Not to airy like K701 for example.

Bass helps but you may consider getting a transducer for maximum jump in your seat effect
wink.gif

If it wasn´t for my Ultrasones which are best for every movie genre available I would probably pick my Audio technicas A900 over the DT 770 Pro. It has a more dreamy atmosphere if you are into psychological horror rather then zombie slash fests
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn´t horror movies all about the treble? screeching girls and what not?

yeah, I was thinking a more upfront presentation is more in order. Soundstage could ruin things because it'll expose where the maniac killer is hiding (DON'T OPEN THAT DOOR B****!)

Go for a Grado.

tongue_smile.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 16
Nothing compares to watching a horror movie with full surround loudspeaker system, when you hear noises from your left, right, back and so on but can't see anything, now that's scary! My guess is that a closed headphone with huge soundstage and nothing in the sound spectrum recessed is the best choice since you need a good, strong bass for effects, a solid midrange that brings out all those scared voices in a nice manner and highs to take care of all those spinechilling screams and such. On second thought, maybe a closed headphone with exaggerated, yet good bass so you can pump up the volume and don't tear your eardrums apart.
What do you guys think?

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 16
Well T0dy, the headphone u describe so far seems like ultrasone 900 pro (since I do not know any other with the qualities you have described!), cheapest I found was like $467! I am looking for ones under $350. Of course if anyone know a headphone which performs like or better than ultrasone 900 pro, let me know!

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #11 of 16
Also, a phone which isn't very smooth and too laid back, not too lush and warm for horror movies. Please update us on if the Ultrasone 900 is good for horror, I'm eager to hear!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #15 of 16
2315867278_682fcc8a20.jpg

I'd say that. If by any chance you look yourself at the mirror wearing that you might experience a heart attack...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back