Best headphones for studying?
Oct 18, 2017 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mr.Wiggles

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! Hope you can help me pick a new headphone to help me in my studies.

I need them because I don't like hearing noises when I am studying and it will help me through the commute. Isolation is my top priority then I guess it would be nice if it is wireless because I carry a lot of books and the commute isn't easy.

My only headphone is the HD - 25 and it's great so far. Isolates most of the noise but, not enough when you're in a place where there are lots of people. My budget can go up to $500.

Thank you in advance!

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 11
I would go for a wireless noise cancelling headphone.
Sony MDR-1000X or Sennheiser Momentum Wireless.
Bose QC35 is also pretty good, and might be the most comfortable of the three, but I think it doesn't exceed the other two in overall sound quality.

I don't own any of them, but I've tried them all out multiple times.

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 11
I would go for a wireless noise cancelling headphone.
Sony MDR-1000X or Sennheiser Momentum Wireless.
Bose QC35 is also pretty good, and might be the most comfortable of the three, but I think it doesn't exceed the other two in overall sound quality.

I don't own any of them, but I've tried them all out multiple times.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it! I've been looking at the Sony 1000x and most of the reviews claim it is one of the best among the noise cancelling headphones and I saw on Amazon that the refurbished units goes for 200$ without tax. But, I saw an issue it has with the creaking on the band part of the headphone which kind of worries me. Also, I saw Sony released the 1000xm2 just recently. Have you tried it?

Oct 18, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 11
Not yet, I've only held it, but the battery was dead since it was a shop floor model.
I'm pretty sure it's identical to the 1000X but with the extra touchpad, but I havn't researched the matter.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 11
I'd take a look around the internet for a used Audeze EL-8C!

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 11

With critical emphasis on the 2nd version.
The first one sounded terrible.

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 11
I too have been looking for a pair of headphones for studying. I used the V-Moda M-100s for a solid 4 years while I was in college, but now am studying for the CPA exam and need to focus a bit more. I currently have the Sony WH-1000XM2 and Beats Studio 3s in my presence. The 1000xs blow both my V-Modas and the Beats out of the water. As for noise cancelling, I'm typically at my house studying and I cannot head my dog bark, garage door open or people really talk when music is on. When I'm not listening to anything those noises are dramatically cut down, but I can slightly hear them. I still have a few weeks before my return period is over on the 1000xs, but I think the only cans I'd return them for would be the B&W PX, which are $50 more. Good luck!

Oct 19, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #8 of 11

But it doesn't have noise cancellation :frowning2:. Although it's quite tempting.

I too have been looking for a pair of headphones for studying. I used the V-Moda M-100s for a solid 4 years while I was in college, but now am studying for the CPA exam and need to focus a bit more. I currently have the Sony WH-1000XM2 and Beats Studio 3s in my presence. The 1000xs blow both my V-Modas and the Beats out of the water. As for noise cancelling, I'm typically at my house studying and I cannot head my dog bark, garage door open or people really talk when music is on. When I'm not listening to anything those noises are dramatically cut down, but I can slightly hear them. I still have a few weeks before my return period is over on the 1000xs, but I think the only cans I'd return them for would be the B&W PX, which are $50 more. Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback. How are the headphones so far? Aren't you experiencing any issues with the bands which the first 1000X editions are suffering from? I might get the m2's if it doesn't have the cracking issues. If it does, I might have to look for another brand that has decent NC and good build quality.

Nov 8, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 11
Hi again. Just going to give my experience with the 1000X Sony MDR. I was able to try them out on one of the Sony stores and experienced the Noise Cancellation feature. It was highly irritating for me. I don't know if it's just me but it was unbearable for me. It felt like when you're in an airplane and your ears are experiencing pressure? I don't think I'll be using the Noise Cancellation of any headphones if they give the same discomforting experience. Are there any other wireless headphones that offer great isolation like the HD-25's without ANC?

Nov 8, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #10 of 11
There is an alternative route you could take.

The Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro is not wireless, but it does isolate VERY well due to the earpads they use, and the cable is detachable.
I would propose the idea of combining it with a bluetooth AUX adapter, such as this: https://www.amazon.de/Bluetooth-Aut...0152947&sr=1-8&keywords=bluetooth+aux+adapter

Then you get the full versatility of wired, wireless bluetooth, isolation and comfort.

I have two friends who have used adapters like this, and they've been fairly happy with them. No idea if they actually sound any good and their battery life is pretty low.. usually 4-6 hours.
At that price, it might be worth buying two different adapters, just so you can rotate them when the battery runs out, see which one is better, maybe return the worse one and buy a 2nd of the better one for backup and rotation.

But.. it's only an idea, not something I've tried out myself, but I've certainly entertained the thought.

PROS:
If the wireless thing dies, it's a cheap replacement, or under separate warranty.
This headphone is also extremely durable.

CONS:
Adapter maybe looks a bit dumb(?) and sticks out a bit... might be an issue when head is down studying.

Nov 8, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 11
But it doesn't have noise cancellation :frowning2:. Although it's quite tempting.

Thank you for the feedback. How are the headphones so far? Aren't you experiencing any issues with the bands which the first 1000X editions are suffering from? I might get the m2's if it doesn't have the cracking issues. If it does, I might have to look for another brand that has decent NC and good build quality.
Depending on your budget, check out the B&W P7. I ended up going with them over the PX, 1000XM2 and Beats Studio 3. They aren't a noise cancelling headphone, but block out noises better than my V-Modas. They also sound way better than anything else I've tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back