Best headphones for "neutral" music?
Aug 28, 2008 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

user123456

Head-Fier
Which of these headphones produce the most neutral sound, neutral and clean and as "audiophile" as possible.

Sony MDR-XD300
Sennheiser HD465
Senheiser HD555

Beyerdynamic DTX700
Beyerdynamic DTX800
Beyerdynamic DTX900

JTS HP535
Icemat Siberia (white) will remove the mic.

AKG K 44
AKG K 66
AKG K 77

Technics RP-F880E-S

I know they might not be the best audiophile headphones, but these are the only ones in my price-range and I want one with neutral sound and not that much disturbance.

They will be mostly used for music, but maybe for movies too.

Bass is not that much important, the most important is clean and neutral sound, thanks.

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 27
I know the MDR v6 usually have the huge proviso along the lines that they are "extremely neutral"...but I'm not sure that's really something to recommend them.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 27
The main problem is the wallet, but I want some comfortable headphones, lightweight and decent sound.

Doesn't need to be the best sound, but whenever there is an "comfortable headphone" with nice cushions it must cost like 100-300$, I can't afford that.

I've found the most DJ-phones have neutral and good sound, but their design aren't made for 24/7 hours in front of the PC.

If I had the cash I'd just buy the beyer dynamic dt 770 pro or akg k701 but I don't so I need a cheaper model that is comfortable and has decent/clean sound.

Aug 28, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 27
The only headphones i've found to be neutral are my Roland RH50. it make my Sennheiser's and AKG's sound very commercial.

Aug 28, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 27
Why don't you take a look at the For Sale forum here? You might be able to find a good deal for a 'neutral' pair of headphones. FWIW, the DT770 aren't exactly neutral, they are bass-heavy. And to some the K701 is very neutral, to others it has an emphasized midrange or lacking bass. There are lots of cans out there, however, that sound good, neutral or not. If I were you, I'd take a look at the FS forum, see what you can afford and then do a search here for the cans you can afford to see whether the sound signature appeals to you. Sorry for your wallet and welcome to the wondrous world of Head-Fi!

Aug 28, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #8 of 27
Any of the Denons are extremely comfy. I dunno if they're considered "neutral", though. How does anyone know if a set of cans is neutral anyway? None of us have ever heard the "pure" sound, right? It's always played through some headphone or speaker or something.

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get some Philips SHP-2700. They are outstanding for the money and seem to be along the lines of what you are looking for.

Got an image on them? Is the headcushioning comfortable etc?

Why are they that cheap if they are that good as you say?
confused_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any of the Denons are extremely comfy. I dunno if they're considered "neutral", though. How does anyone know if a set of cans is neutral anyway? None of us have ever heard the "pure" sound, right? It's always played through some headphone or speaker or something.

Are AH-D301 any comfortable then?

Neutral sound is like plain and boring sound, very clear. Some of sennheisers however sound a bit "space-alike" with highs and mids going far away.

I'm looking for something who has decent mids, decent highs, decent bass, but not something who will only produce great bass like the porta pro, it should be plain sound and clear without any extra effects, ofc all headphones gets disturbance from the electronics around but at least you can hear the sound pretty clear with most headphones.

So prior one is comfortable headphones and light-weight that you can have for several hours without pain on your head, most of the headphones I've had have had good sound but bad design and plastic over the headband instead of comfortable cushionings.

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #10 of 27
This is what I got now, my head gets painful from the plastic headband over the head, no cushions or anything under the headband:

foto.ashx

I can't believe I even bought it, but the sound was good.

And that's why I'm looking for something more comfortable.

Edit: *these are my old pair* not the new ones.

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you take a look at the For Sale forum here?

I rather buy from my local store, I've found a deal with $30 for a pair of Sennheiser HD 570, is that a good buy? Are those oldies still good or is the sound too un-modern?

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the D2000 and wouldn't have thought of them much as not being neutral, until I got the K701. They are highly colored. If you want to hear the sounds as they were recorded, without adding any spark, without adding much anything the Denons won't do, get a 701
k701smile.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #13 of 27
Akg's higher end headphones are very neutral in the sound, I've tried akg k601 and k701 in my local store, and I love them but the wallet is not that big.

Sure I'm not gonna be spoiled and say I deserve the best cans around for cheap bucks, I never said that I just want some decent headphones for 75-100 USD, and I live in sweden the headphones here aren't as cheap as in the U.S.A.

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by user123456 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got an image on them? Is the headcushioning comfortable etc?

Why are they that cheap if they are that good as you say?
confused_face.gif

I just googled and this came up first:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/s/s...00_pss_eng.pdf

They are quite comfortable. I don't know why they are so inexpensive. Probably made in China in high volumes. Also, build quality is not as good as more expensive headphones, but adequate nonetheless. If I had to live with one set of headphones in the sub 100 EUR pricerange, this would be it. And they go for around 30 EUR!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back