Best headphones for me?
Feb 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

weirdek

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to the whole audiophile thing so I need a couple of advices from you guys.
I'm from Croatia and my choice her is pretty much nothing or overpriced headphones. So I will be buying from eBay or Amazon which have shipping to my country. Basically my best headphones (or headset to be exact) so far is the Sound Blaster Tactic3D Alpha which I bought a year ago. So I'm definitely gonna notice a difference in terms of sound quality.

So I'm on a budget of about 100-110$ and I'm usually looking for some price cutdowns on Amazon or cheap offers on eBay. 
What I'm looking for is a decent pair of cans which have good bass and a good soundstage since I will be playing some games on it. I've found these headphones so far:

ATH A700 (110$ on Amazon), AKG K518LE, SOL Republic Tracks and Sennheiser HD438. In terms of sound quality I believe that ATH A700 is the best pair of cans here, but if in some way I'm not able to get them I still want a decent boomy headset (I listen mostly to dubstep, d'n'b, some rock and punk, hip hop and rap) with good audio quality overall. 

I realise I would need a good DAC/AMP for the ATHA700 but the FiiO one's are out of my budget so I'm basically limited to the Xonar DG.
Also, the K518LE is like 40-60$ so it's quite the bargain and they don't really need a good sound card. I will be using them on my PC, but if I get anything else but the ATH A700 I will be also using it on my mp3 player/android.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 20

Quote:
Heya,

The AD700 is awful, terrible, for your music genres. It has no sub-bass at all, so you can forget the awesome rumble of 30hz with your dubstep.

Here's the headphone for your needs (gaming & dub) and your budget: HTF600 with these pads.

Review in signature.

Very best,

Thanks for a quick reply, I didn't realise that those were so cheap! The thing is I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I want a good step-up from my Tactic 3D Alpha's. Will the Xonar DG improve the quality a bit? It's really cheap so I would buy it if it's worth the money. Or do you know some USB sound cards that aren't too expensive but are better than Realtek ALC 892 which I have on my Motherboard (I want something for my laptop too since it's crappy)

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
Thanks for a quick reply, I didn't realise that those were so cheap! The thing is I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I want a good step-up from my Tactic 3D Alpha's. Will the Xonar DG improve the quality a bit? It's really cheap so I would buy it if it's worth the money. Or do you know some USB sound cards that aren't too expensive but are better than Realtek ALC 892 which I have on my Motherboard (I want something for my laptop too since it's crappy)

The Xonar DG is excellent as a soundcard for both music and gaming and even has a decent amplifier built in. It's definitely an excellent deal at like $30. And the HTF600 listed above has huge sound, don't let the price fool you, it sounds like a $100~150 headphone easily. And you'll love it's sub-bass. It also has a great sound stage for gaming.

Very best,

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 20
Just one final question, what's the difference between the beyerdynamic pads and the default one's? I will spend the extra money if they improve the headset on comfertability and sound quality

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 20
Soundblaster live is a great soundcard for bout $40 if you want a decent set of headphones id go ATH-M50 amazon has these for a bit above your pricerange you could get those they are top of the line if not go for a set of staggs these are great budget headphones for around $40 and they deliver great quality sound

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
Just one final question, what's the difference between the beyerdynamic pads and the default one's? I will spend the extra money if they improve the headset on comfertability and sound quality

The Beyer pads are velour, velvety. Very comfortable. The stock pads are pleather, solids. I suggest having both so you can determine comfort. Both are comfortable, but I highly suggest the velour pads, as it makes it really comfortable to wear forever while gaming and just jamming out to music. Again, see the link in my signature to the HTF600 for detailed information on the headphone and the acoustic properties of changing the pads to velour to see if it sounds like something you'd want.

Very best,

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 20
Are there any other headphones that sound really good but cost a bit more? If there are like 70$ headphones that are better than these I would gladly pay for them. It's just that my budget is 90-100$ and Xonar DG is included into it (about 20$)

Just want to get the best for the money

Edit: I found Shure SRH440 for about 60$, Samson SR850 for 50$ and Creative Aurvana Live for 70$. Are they worth a buy? I would like it to be bassy but not overpowering. Just wondering if they beat the Panasonic's. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 20
Depends on who you ask.  I'd pick the Creative Aurvana LIve! over those Panasonics any day of the week, for any purpose.  And the CAL's drop down in price periodically on Amazon, down to the $55-60 level. 

But I'm a known dissenter regarding those Panasonics.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 20
Mal, unless OP made a typo, he saw the closed A700 for sale on Amazon, not the open AD700 that gets frequently recommended for gaming.
I don't know what the exact sonic differences are, but we do need to be clear that we're talking about the same thing here.

Quote:
ATH A700 (110$ on Amazon), AKG K518LE, SOL Republic Tracks and Sennheiser HD438. In terms of sound quality I believe that ATH A700 is the best pair of cans here, but if in some way I'm not able to get them I still want a decent boomy headset (I listen mostly to dubstep, d'n'b, some rock and punk, hip hop and rap) with good audio quality overall. 

I realise I would need a good DAC/AMP for the ATHA700 but the FiiO one's are out of my budget so I'm basically limited to the Xonar DG.
Also, the K518LE is like 40-60$ so it's quite the bargain and they don't really need a good sound card. I will be using them on my PC, but if I get anything else but the ATH A700 I will be also using it on my mp3 player/android.

Quote:
Heya,

The AD700 is awful, terrible, for your music genres. It has no sub-bass at all, so you can forget the awesome rumble of 30hz with your dubstep.

Here's the headphone for your needs (gaming & dub) and your budget: HTF600 with these pads.

Review in signature.

Very best,

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 20
Yeah, I was talking about the A700 (I believe that they're black as opposed to the 'ugly' design of the AD700's) I'm sceptic about the Panasonic's, I would try them out but they aren't available in my country. So basically I'm leaning towards the CALs and can you suggest some good pair of cans for about 60-70$ which I can plug into the Xonar DG.

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #13 of 20
Hey hi everyone. I have just joined this club of headphones.  So all I need is your help Regarding Headphones, Like I want to spend 200$, I need much """BASS"""  I really want bass, so suggest me, N one of my friend suggested me Sennheiser px360. So should I go with it or any new suggestions, And one more thing is that should i go with The BT model or The normal one.

Sorry if my ENGLISH is wrong.

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
AD700s have a much different sound than A700. A700 provide more bass but are weak in the treble department and lack the AD700s wide soundstage. Just a look at the FR charts for each of the headphones shows how different they are.

How about the cheaper sister of the A700, the A500. Here's a quick review:
http://www.whathifi.com/review/audio-technica-ath-a500

They are over my budget by a lot. I only considered the A700 because they were on discount and were 100$. I'm still pretty confused, I mean I go through a lot of reviews but I really can't deside which headphones to take. For now I preferr CALs, K518LE and SOL Republic Tracks which are not over 75$. Keeping in mind i need about 25$ for Xonar DG it's perfect for my budget. But if there are cheaper headphones that deliver great sound quality for the price (Like the Panasonics, but like I said I'm a bit sceptical about them)  then I would consider them. Basically I preferr sound quality over comfiness, but the build quality should be at least average.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #15 of 20
weirdek: I think the AKG 518 definitely has bass, but I'm sceptical of the design and build quality--it's got 2 thin wires coming out of each ear cup, with almost no strain relief. 
As for how it sounds, it's a bit muddy. A bit.

Gaming tends to require headphones that aren't too bassy or muddy, especially if you want to play competitively. Too much bass can make it hard to hear enemy footsteps. 
I've never tried them, but the some cheap Koss headphones get recommended quite often for gaming--I think it's the KSC 35 or KSC 75. Check them out, they're both well within your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back