Best headphones for me
Aug 11, 2006 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ChaseD13

500+ Head-Fier
hi i have several questions

1) does anyone know of retail chains that will allow you to try on headphones (radioshack doesnt allow this) i live in nj if there are any specific stores

-here is what i am looking at for headphones- i have around a 100$ budget, but if better price/perforamce cost more than i can spend more

my uses are going to be listening from my stereo reciever and ipod use
so the phones need to be able to be powered from the ipod and still sound good

i dont care about "style" sound is what matters

currently my top choice is the senn hd 280 pros, they are sealed and are a good value

i was also looking at the grado 80s and possibly 125s but i have heard these arent comfortable and that they leak sound (would i annoy others on say, an airplane?)

which of these would be best? or are there any other good headphones at this point. ive read through the recommendation stick (all 17 pages) and other site reviews and this is what i have come down too.

feel free to share any experiences with these phones and recommend others!

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 28
The Grado/Alessandro MS-1's are $99 shipped. They seem to be highly recommended, and apparently have a more "neutral" (which I generally read as "true") sound.

It might be helpful to post the genre of music that you're going to be playing.

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 28
as a 15 yearold i listen to all kinds of rock (emphasis is on the classic stuff though, zepplin and floyd are tied for first)

lately ive been in a dance/techno mood though lol.

i would say classic rock first then electronic/techno/dance stuff like sandstorm

i dont really listen to classical stuff

i also like to mention that good bass isnt loud bass for me. i enjoy clear and precise bass but i cant stand distorted bass- gives me a headache.
i hate it when kids say "wow this sounds awesome" when it is a stereo with the bass all the way up distorting the crap out 50 cent

Aug 11, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13
i also like to mention that good bass isnt loud bass for me.

I thought you didn't care about the style of the sound?
tongue.gif
I think you're going to end up raising your budget. Maybe go for some Grado PS-1's. Haha, no really, go for it.

Aug 11, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz
I thought you didn't care about the style of the sound?
tongue.gif
I think you're going to end up raising your budget. Maybe go for some Grado PS-1's. Haha, no really, go for it.

you're joking on that one right? he said he doesn't care about the style, but only the sound.

Aug 11, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #8 of 28
Ah, classic rock first! I'll put in a second vote for MS-1s.

Even have the right kind of bass. They can be bought with a 1/8" plug for the iPod and come with a 1/4 adapter for the receiver.

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #12 of 28
well i dont know of any headphone stores nearby and my mom is goin past bestbuy and cirucit city so i might as well se what the have so i can get some listening!

i know circuit has 280s so i cna try em on, that way if someone says xxx sounds bright or has more bass, ill have something to compare too

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 28
At least here in Minnesota, Guitar Center lets you try on headphones. They carry closed and semi-closed headphones, but not open ones. I know they carry the Senn 280's.

I haven't had a problem finding places that carry Grado's that let me try them, but I don't anywhere specific to New Jersey.

Aug 11, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
At least here in Minnesota, Guitar Center lets you try on headphones. They carry closed and semi-closed headphones, but not open ones. I know they carry the Senn 280's.

I haven't had a problem finding places that carry Grado's that let me try them, but I don't anywhere specific to New Jersey.

guitar center also carries BeyerDynamic DT770/80 Pros. See if they have a demo pair.

Aug 11, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz
I suppose the Sony V6's would fit the bill.

Yep. For a 15-year-old on a budget, and who wants something for iPod use too, they'd be fine. Plus, as he gets older and gets more stuff, they can still be his backup travel phones for those times when he doesn't want IEM's in his ears. $75 delivered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back