Best Headphones for me (mostly metal listener)
Mar 12, 2013 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Self Annihilate

New Head-Fier
I've decided to use my tax refund to buy some nice headphones. I'm no audiophile but I can definitely tell the difference between good headphones and bad ones. I've looked around at various sites to try to decide what to lean towards but they have lead me all me all over the place. I want to keep the price in the mid 100s (130-170) but I can go up to 200 if really necessary. Here are the artists I listen to the most:
1. Rammstein (favorite band)
2. Dethklok
3. Children of Bodom
4. The Offspring
5. Disturbed
6. Skrillex (love some songs, hate others)
7. Korn
I listen to a bit of everything (rap, punk, pop, etc.) but those are the main artists I listen to ATM. Even though I listen to mostly metal, bass is pretty important to me but i dont want it to overpower everything else. Things I need in a pair of headphones:
1. Over ear
2. Detachable cable
3. Sounds good without amp
4. High build quality (not going to beat them up but I don't want to absolutely have to baby them)
Things that I'd like to have:
1. Metal construction (I really like the look and feel of V-MODAs and Beats Pros)
2. Not overly bulky
3. Can fold for easier transportation (like Beats)
If there are some headphones that would work well but would be amazing with an amp I'd be willing to spring for a portable one but I'd still like to stay in my price range and it'd have to be able to fit nice in a carry sing case with the headphones. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 6
There are a few headphones out there that meet most of your requirements, but you should probably relax a few of your requirements if you want to get the most for your money. The Beyerdynamic DT770-80's, Audio Technica M50's, and Ultrasone HFI-580's might be close to what you want; do a little research into those. Rammstein has a lot of deep guitar sounds, so a headphone with a little bit of a bass boost sounds pretty good with them.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 6
I don't think the 4 things I listed as need are really hard to come by. Over-ear and detachable cable are easy to find and by high build quality I don't mean a tank I just need something that won't break if I drop them. I think the toughest part is probably the amp part but I'm willing to remedy that if need be. The other things I listed aren't necessary, just bonuses. Thanks for the info though, I've read good things about the M50s and I'll take a look at the others you listed.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 6
The detachable cable cuts off a lot of good headphones. The metal requirement leaves pretty much just the Beyers, which are a great choice, but not just because they're metal. I have them and think they're great; they'd fit your requirements if not for the fixed cable and non-folding design. They're "Made in Germany," like a certain flamethrower wielding band, too.
wink.gif
A lot of headphones in that price range won't work without an amp according to many people, but actually they will work pretty well without an amp. It's just that if you add an amp into the mix  you get a noticeable improvement, so it's kind of a shame to miss out on the full potential of your headphones. Still, one of those headphones unamped is much better than most of the mainstream headphones out there (especially Beats). You could buy the headphones now and get an amp later when the upgrade itch hits you.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 6
+1 for the Made in Germany reference. Anyway metal isn't a necessity and I know its rare, I just like pretty much all the metal headphones I've seen. If I get into it enough I'll look into getting a real amp but where I'm at now I probably don't need it. The detachable cable is because I can't stand the idea of ruining some nice headphones because the cable went bad (the most common way my headphones break). If its easy enough to fix then that requirement can go away. I have 0 experience in customizing/repairing headphones so having a detachable cable seemed to fix the problem. Folding is a very loose requirement, I really don't care all that much if the fold or not but it is a bonus if they do.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 6
im looking into the dt770s myself lol with similar music taste.... the thing with the detatchable cable i was really concerned but you can mod them and insert a detatchable cable socket and ive heard of the beyer cables lasting like 5+ years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back