Best headphones for listening to Thom York?
Jan 6, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #16 of 25
Also note those are probably Nigel's cans and not Thom's as the pic is from a recent Radiohead studio session. It's probably also safe to say they aren't the same cans that were used when making The Eraser. You can probably do better, I've only listened to The Eraser on my cans though, so I can't really offer any suggestions.

Jan 6, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also note those are probably Nigel's cans and not Thom's as the pic is from a recent Radiohead studio session. It's probably also safe to say they aren't the same cans that were used when making The Eraser. You can probably do better, I've only listened to The Eraser on my cans though, so I can't really offer any suggestions.

I don't know if it's safe to say any of that, but i am missing a closed phone since my dear 270s chord has died (severed), so this gives me a perfect excuse to replace them with the 271s. i dearly enjoyed them before and another poster here testified that the eraser sounds good with'em.

if anyone has a good link to discounted prices that would be handy

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #20 of 25
Sorry to disappoint you all, but the headphones "artists" use when recording rarely have anything to do with how the record actually sounds. They just need to hear the playback to play along with and are probably what they have in their, or the studio's stash. You want to hear the album as it was recorded? Find out what kind of monitors they mixed it on, and acoustically treat your room.

Jan 6, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #21 of 25
The Eraser is an interesting album to ask this question about. When I first heard it I found it very thin and irritatingly spare: I'd have said "poorly produced" by comparison with OK Computer. Hearing it on my K 701s, though, I realise that it's a very "picky" album that just refuses to sound right on the majority of systems. Like others here, I'd recommend neutral headphones to get the most out of it.

Jan 6, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by z_accoustics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if it's safe to say any of that, but i am missing a closed phone since my dear 270s chord has died (severed), so this gives me a perfect excuse to replace them with the 271s. i dearly enjoyed them before and another poster here testified that the eraser sounds good with'em.

if anyone has a good link to discounted prices that would be handy

I'm not sure why you would think that the same headphones would be used when recording The Eraser and Radiohead.. they have a very different sound. But it sounds like the 271s would be a good fit for you, as you liked the 270.

Jan 6, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #24 of 25
Thom YorkE

And i found it strangely great with IEMs (UM2)
As for full size, i think DT990 worked great

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnzoPolotso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to disappoint you all, but the headphones "artists" use when recording rarely have anything to do with how the record actually sounds. They just need to hear the playback to play along with and are probably what they have in their, or the studio's stash. You want to hear the album as it was recorded? Find out what kind of monitors they mixed it on, and acoustically treat your room.

Sorry to dissapoint you, thom prefers to listen to music on headphones

Jan 6, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by z_accoustics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw that one too. Looked good except for the "US $22.99" shipping fee.

Is the Zu cable your standard upgrade for this baby?

shipping feed included it's still cheaper than you'll find it anywhere else
cool.gif

i don't know if the zu cable is the standard upgrade, but I own it, and enjoy it very much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back