Best headphones for listening to The Mars Volta?
Nov 2, 2005 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

kidkoala

Head-Fier
I remember seeing a rather popular thread about good cans for listening to Tool, so I thought I'd make one for one of my favorite bands. For those of you who haven't heard of The Mars Volta, they're a very sonically complex group that I feel would fully test the entire frequency spectrum. Because the music is so complex and layered, I want something that does not sound muddy. I also need a very, very quick set of headphones with great decay, to keep up with the extremely fast and punchy music. Can anyone think of anything? Anything for $300 and under would be great (amp could be included in price).

Nov 2, 2005 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kidkoala
I remember seeing a rather popular thread about good cans for listening to Tool, so I thought I'd make one for one of my favorite bands. For those of you who haven't heard of The Mars Volta, they're a very sonically complex group that I feel would fully test the entire frequency spectrum. Because the music is so complex and layered, I want something that does not sound muddy. I also need a very, very quick set of headphones with great decay, to keep up with the extremely fast and punchy music. Can anyone think of anything? Anything for $300 and under would be great (amp could be included in price).

I would recommend a headphone with a rather dark sonic balance and still good detail, such as the HD 650. But even with the HD 650, «De-loused in the Comatorium» sounds quite shrill and at times squawky with those dominating scratchy electric guitars... and this after careful equalizing of the recordings. So I've given up on The Mars Volta when it comes to sound quality. You better take the scratchy sound as it is and try to find a headphone with good allround qualities. (Which the HD 650 absolutely is, BTW.)

peacesign.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
I would recommend a headphone with a rather dark sonic balance and still good detail

Agreed. I prefer the hd555 when listening to Deloused in the Comatorium. The slightly laid back sound puts the screeching at a safe distance.

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 26
Y'know? I picked "Deloused..." up yesterday on a whim not really knowing what to expect. Not quite my usual cup 'o tea, but I could tell there is a lot there that merits a closer listen and I can't wait to spin that one again.

Anyways, I thought they sounded rather nice even though I was listening on my HD201s in public.

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 26
For 300, I recommend a MS-2i. It's the closest I've heard to the less agressive Joe Grado sound while still staying Grado (SR325i is definitely still in the John Grado camp in the highs) and has the best chance at that price range to do right by the Mars Volta. Side note - On an HP2, man, it sounds GREAT!

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 26
"Deloused in the Comatorium" sounds great on my Beyerdynamic DT770/80's.

Nov 2, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 26
This is a good question - as mars volta is a good testing tool for an audio setup (especially the first album). Whenever I have time to sit down with some new gear i always test with kyuss, mars volta, autechre, boards of canada, and meshuggah (among others). I have yet to find headphones that can do volta or kyuss justice - but my un-educated guess (through process of elimination) would likely be a grado or allessandro can. I've got a pair of ATH-PRO700's right now - they're clean, dry and do a good job of most genres, but shine with electronic. Consequently, the answer to your question will also likely be the answer to which will be my next listening can.

good luck, i'm curious about the answer

Aug 28, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holybanana
After listening to the new album. I'd like to bump this one
smily_headphones1.gif

Not available in the USA until 9/12...

Aug 28, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
For 300, I recommend a MS-2i.

Listening to Cygnus.... Vismund Cygnus through my MS-2i and SuperMacro IV makes me want to slam dance in my cube at work. Unfortunately, they might fall off my head, which would be sad.
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
"Drunkship of Lanterns" through DT-770s with the lights off... music doesn't get much freakier than that.

Or much better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back