Best Headphones for Listening to Piano Recordings? Not monitoring, but listening.
Nov 2, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #31 of 43
I would think based on my limited experiences, that the Sony R10's would be magical with just pure piano music - large soundstage and sweet mids.

I personally think the Senns are little bit lazy in presentation for a lot of piano music. I think Grado's would give you a sweet/warmish sound but you wouldn't get the full impact of a grand piano (soundstage becomes an issue). The AKG K1000 would be a great headphone in this category but you might yearn for a little more fuzz depending on where your coming from.

Yea, now that I think about, the R10's would fantastic for piano music but detrimental to the wallet.

Btw, I would also give the nod to the L3K's as they have a bigger soundstage than most of the cans mentioned in this thread and sound seductively warm out of a EarMax or Raptor.

Nov 2, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #33 of 43
For only piano listening, between the dynamic cans I've heard, I'd choose the AKG K501, no doubts. The airy and "free from resonance" sound ot these headphones does a very good job with piano.

Maybe the new K601/701 can do better with the same "magic", but, who knows 'till now...

bye
Andrea

Nov 2, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #34 of 43
I would have to say the Audio Technica AD2000's. They beat my HD650s for solo piano pieces. I don't know if those AD2000 owners out there agree with me on this...

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary
If you are talking about my desire of wanting answers, that's one thing. I don't have a rush to know. If you mean which headphones I intend to buy, I am heading for the HE60/HV70 because they are extremely cheap (even being that cheap I may not be able to get them cause they are the last ones and I still haven't got the money).

Errr...HE60/HV70 is extremely cheap? Compared to what? HD650, HD600, DT880, K501 and K701 should be cheaper than any electrostats.. Typically, dynamic headphones are cheaper than electrostats (of course, with electrostats, you get the amp as well for the price)..

SH

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #36 of 43
Of the Headphones I have, I have to say that this is one of the strong points of the Grado HF-1 and I'm a little suprised others haven't mentioned it. When compared to my HD600, which I love, the HF-1 seems to have a more pleasing, fuller and accurate reproduction of the piano. To me the lush mids and more forward presentation of the HF-1 are perfect for solo piano. It tonal quality reminds of what I might hear if I was setting there listening to someone playing. If mixed in and trying to hear the combined sound of piano backed by strings, percusion and horns I think the knod then goes back to the HD600.

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf
Hey, pibe, I think you are gona leave the HE60 in the shop. Pity!. In any case, the dt880 is a very good dynamic phone, but it needs amplification. There is now a good sale of an amp (that seems to be very good) combined with USB DAC (to connect it to a computer) for $400, the Corda Aria (http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=143768). But any good dynamic+amp is gona cost what they ask you for the HE60. Here is your tough choice. I wish I were in your shoes!.

Regards.

Hi dude, what's up? I AM going for the HE60, it's just I want to know my options in case they are gone. It is very nice to read experiences argumenting differenting views. Whatever happens with the HE60 I'll let you people know.
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
Errr...HE60/HV70 is extremely cheap? Compared to what? HD650, HD600, DT880, K501 and K701 should be cheaper than any electrostats.. Typically, dynamic headphones are cheaper than electrostats (of course, with electrostats, you get the amp as well for the price)..

SH

Hi mate, how you doing? Sorry for not clarifying before. I can get the HE60/Hv70 for $600usd. Which to me mean 1800 pesos (try to see it this way, products in dollars here not only costs 3 times but usually are twice the price in dollars they are there in the US). So it is cheap because the other lower models are just 200usd or even less below: DT-880 could get at 375USD, Hd600 not less than 400, 450USD. That's why I said that.

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #39 of 43
When you ask about which headphone is best for piano, that's a wide category. Solo classical piano, piano concerto, jazz piano with accompaniment, or something else?

If you are talking about solo classical, there are many good choices Senn 580/600/650, AKG 501, AT's, Beyer dt880's and possibly even some Grados.
My choice would be the Senn's here. If I wanted a headphone strictly for classical I would go for the hd600. If I wanted a "all around" phone that would do classical well, and still do other stuff well, I'd go for the hd 650. Here the AT's and 880's wold be worth considering too. I'm not a particular fan of the AKG line, but I know many like them for classical.

If you are talking about primarily piano concerto, I'd definately rule out the Grados here, and consider one of the other choices.

If you are more interested in jazz piano, I'd probably look more to the Grados, and less to the Senn 580/600's & AKG 501's. Some of the other chioce could be good here as well.

Happy listening.

- augustwest

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:58 PM Post #40 of 43
I'm surprised noone has nominated the HD595s for a more economic solution. I find the accurate, delicate reproduction of piano solos. The setup used was my "Transportable" one below, and an example of some of the music is "Nocturno" by Maria Letona. FYI, I found the HD595 an upgrade to the HD580, especially in Classical and Jazz reproduction.

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
When you ask about which headphone is best for piano, that's a wide category. Solo classical piano, piano concerto, jazz piano with accompaniment, or something else?

If you are talking about solo classical, there are many good choices Senn 580/600/650, AKG 501, AT's, Beyer dt880's and possibly even some Grados.
My choice would be the Senn's here. If I wanted a headphone strictly for classical I would go for the hd600. If I wanted a "all around" phone that would do classical well, and still do other stuff well, I'd go for the hd 650. Here the AT's and 880's wold be worth considering too. I'm not a particular fan of the AKG line, but I know many like them for classical.

If you are talking about primarily piano concerto, I'd definately rule out the Grados here, and consider one of the other choices.

If you are more interested in jazz piano, I'd probably look more to the Grados, and less to the Senn 580/600's & AKG 501's. Some of the other chioce could be good here as well.

Happy listening.

- augustwest

Hi, thanks for your post. What does AT's mean? In a review comparing the DT-880 to some Sony's and I think some Sennheiser, the guy wrote that for piano the DT-880 sounds like plastic or something like that. It would be primary Solo piano (classical), then Piano Concertos (with orchestra), then jazz and other genres are not so important as classical.

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
I'm surprised noone has nominated the HD595s for a more economic solution. I find the accurate, delicate reproduction of piano solos. The setup used was my "Transportable" one below, and an example of some of the music is "Nocturno" by Maria Letona. FYI, I found the HD595 an upgrade to the HD580, especially in Classical and Jazz reproduction.

Hey Steve, what's up? Isn't the HD595 famous for it's strong bass? Doesn't it colour the sound for piano? Or is it jost strong in other instruments and music? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back