Best Headphones for Listening to Piano Recordings? Not monitoring, but listening.
Nov 2, 2005 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Aryolkary

100+ Head-Fier
The best headphones for listening to piano. Best of the best, no matter the bass, etc. The best headphones that are perfect in every possible aspect for listening to piano recordings?
Thanks.

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
Sennheiser Orpheus

Leaving electrostatics aside, in the dynamic line, you know. Hd650?, DT880? Rs-1? You are the expert guys. You tell me

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 43
Dynamic phones: HD 600 (with recable, perhaps), K1000, maybe the upcoming K701 if it's all that it's cracked up to be.

Balanced armature: Ety ER-4P/S (I think this has the best detail of all headphones for chamber music)

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Dynamic phones: HD 600 (with recable, perhaps), K1000, maybe the upcoming K701 if it's all that it's cracked up to be.

Balanced armature: Ety ER-4P/S (I think this has the best detail of all headphones for chamber music)

As you can see I don't have experience with high end cans yet, but let me ask you why is Hd600 better than hd650, or is it you have hd600 so that's the best you've tried? Somewhere I have read the DT-880 isn't really very good with pianos. Is that so?

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #6 of 43
I loved the piano sound through my HD650's.

Some piano fans might have some deeper feedback with respect to specific tonalities of piano in different headphones. I remember reading comments of even specific brands of piano sounding better in certain headphones than in others.

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 43
Aryolkary,

The HE60/HEV70 will do it better than any of these cans.
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 43
I've tried and owned an HD 650 for a little while (returned it for a refund when I got a great deal on a HD 600). The consensus seems to be that the 650 is darker and slightly muddier, which to my mind makes it less than ideal for piano.

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
I remember reading comments of even specific brands of piano sounding better in certain headphones than in others.

Wow, that surprises me. Anyway there is also the factor of considering piano concertos (where a whole orchestra takes part, so there it is more complicate I guess)

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Aryolkary,

The HE60/HEV70 will do it better than any of these cans.
biggrin.gif

akwok I know that. But if I can't buy them in time, I wanna know. I am quite anxious as you can see
tongue.gif

I would like to hear the DT-880 are the best for piano? Hehehe looks like it's not gonna happen.

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #11 of 43
Of the phones I've owned (check profile), I think PS-1 and K1000 are best for piano. PS-1 is better for solos, especially if there is lots of left-hand action
wink.gif
K1000 is better for piano concerti.

I didn't really like HE60+HEV70 for piano recordings because there isn't enough weight. Ditto for ER4p and SA5000.

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
Of the phones I've owned (check profile), I think PS-1 and K1000 are best for piano. PS-1 is better for solos, especially if there is lots of left-hand action
wink.gif
K1000 is better for piano concerti.

I didn't really like HE60+HEV70 for piano recordings because there isn't enough weight. Ditto for ER4p and SA5000.

You just edited the thing I was gonna ask. You first wrote punch and now that you put weight I understand. What are the best headphones for piano (always talking about piano, and piano concertos) in the sub 500usd category? Thanks.

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary
You just edited the thing I was gonna ask. You first wrote punch and now that you put weight I understand. What are the best headphones for piano (always talking about piano, and piano concertos) in the sub 500usd category? Thanks.

If you have the time, wait 2 weeks for the AKG 701s to come out

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
If you have the time, wait 2 weeks for the AKG 701s to come out

If you are talking about my desire of wanting answers, that's one thing. I don't have a rush to know. If you mean which headphones I intend to buy, I am heading for the HE60/HV70 because they are extremely cheap (even being that cheap I may not be able to get them cause they are the last ones and I still haven't got the money).

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary

At under $500, my preference HD650 for its full bodied sound. To me, natural sound is more important than hearing every detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back