Best Headphones for Listening to Cassettes?
Feb 14, 2024 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Yeeterkeeter

New Head-Fier
I am a huge fan of cassettes, and as such, I have a very large collection. The issue I run into while listening is the overemphasized top end and the shallow feeling bass. Even while using Dolby NR, I still find that the top end is way too loud, and it makes the bass problem even worse. Overall, I find that everything but the top end is very muddy-sounding, and while I tolerate it, I know I can do better. Should I just get an EQ, or is there a specific headphone that you think works really well with cassettes?

Feb 14, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 10
The correct answer is the Koss Porta Pro or similar Koss 60 ohm variant to taste.

1707926808468.png

I think the KTX Pro is a real gem that not many 60 ohm fans know about... all perfect for the magnetostatic cassette experience.

1707926837432.png

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 10
I’ve heard that Grados are very good for listening to cassettes, since they have a lot of top end, and the muddiness of the cassettes makes them sound softer than they normally would be, but since I haven’t listened to grados with cassettes (since I don’t own grados) but that makes sense to me

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #10 of 10
I’ve heard that Grados are very good for listening to cassettes, since they have a lot of top end, and the muddiness of the cassettes makes them sound softer than they normally would be, but since I haven’t listened to grados with cassettes (since I don’t own grados) but that makes sense to me
You could try the SR60 or SR80's. The 80's get a lot of love in the Grado Fan Club thread. I would look on eBay for a good deal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back