best headphones for Hip-Hop??
Mar 11, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #31 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would anyone recommend these for any genre of music? From my brief listen to the beats the bass is that of the Sony XB series; extremely bass heavy running over the mids. If you're looking for bass, real bass that goes deeper and hits only when it's called for take a listen too HFI-780s.

And as youve stated....you had a "brief listen". Ive heard them many times on their listening stations in stores and also on my own equipment. My opinions of them are in the Beats threads.

Sorry, but were just not as well-informed as you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Please tell us all what we like.
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #32 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And as youve stated....you had a "brief listen". Ive heard them many times on their listening stations in stores and also on my own equipment. My opinions of them are in the Beats threads.

smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

You yourself admitted that they were overpriced. Why buy something overpriced? The very definition of it is that there's something cheaper that's just as good or better.

If it's overpriced for audiophiles, which are known to spend $500 for a freakin' cable upgrade, then they're overpriced for everyone. Throwing "audiophile" in there does not create an excuse. Overpriced is overpriced.

Mar 11, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #33 of 71
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

biggrin.gif

I'm saying they do nothing well, the bass is almost identical to that of Sony XB500 and they're $50 headphones. I haven't read through the Beats threads and if you like them I can only think you like the built in amp and compare them to underpowered headphones. They are extremely bass forward but like other bassy headphones don't produce the deep bass you get from the likes of HFI-780, it's more HTIB quality bass as opposed to say a 1200 Watt Velodyne.

Mar 11, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #34 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by MannyWins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are the Astro Mixamps considered good amps??

Don't know anything about the Mixamp, but like I said, you wont really need an amp for the M50's.

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #35 of 71
Quote:

I'm saying they do nothing well, the bass is almost identical to that of Sony XB500 and they're $50 headphones. I haven't read through the Beats threads and if you like them I can only think you like the built in amp and compare them to underpowered headphones. They are extremely bass forward but like other bassy headphones don't produce the deep bass you get from the likes of HFI-780, it's more HTIB quality bass as opposed to say a 1200 Watt Velodyne.

I never said Beats were my kind of phones, but he will using them for rap etc.
They were made for rap. And the Beats bass doesnt totally muddy up the midrange as bad as you say. You heard them briefly. I heard them many times.
smily_headphones1.gif

And im not liking the built-in amp and comparing them to under-powered headphones either. Im not a newbe. And who says hes going to be a fanboy of the Ultrasone sound too? Ultrasones have a weird diffused sound, and not everyone likes them. That diffused sound may not be good for rap and r&b music. It took me awhile to get used to my Icans. I hated every Ultrasone i heard, when i first heard them. They just sounded weird.
Ultrasones are not a phone you buy online without hearing them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #36 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You yourself admitted that they were overpriced. Why buy something overpriced? The very definition of it is that there's something cheaper that's just as good or better.

If it's overpriced for audiophiles, which are known to spend $500 for a freakin' cable upgrade, then they're overpriced for everyone. Throwing "audiophile" in there does not create an excuse. Overpriced is overpriced.

There is a difference between over-priced for audiophiles and over-priced for someone else.
Audiophiles look for balanced sound most of the time, and Beats arent balanced. Theyre taylored for rap music.
People into rap arent usually audiophiles. They want to enjoy the bass-beats and lyrics etc., and they have a right to like what they like, but they usually go for phones like Beats. Ive stood in stores and watched peoples reactions to different phones before.
I suggested Beats, llike alot of other people did in this thread i might add, because of the music genre he said he wanted it for. He didnt say he also listens to classical and rock etc. He wants them for urban music.

Do you think the people driving around with huge subs in their cars going BOOM BOOOM BOOM would like the beats???
If you have one of those neighborhood-killing stereos in your car, then get the beats.
If you have Bose "everywhere sound" in your car, fine then get the Ultrasones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also...i believe your head-injury only allowed you to critisize me, without being helpful and also suggesting a headphone for the OP.
At least i tried to be helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #37 of 71
For hip hop I'd definitely stay away from sennheisers. Based off of what I've "heard" (yes that's heard with my ears and not read with my eyes) I'd buy the D2000's instead of the beats by dre. They are similar priced but with the Denon's you can do the markL mod to tighten up the bass and you can get the J$ pads to further enhance the soundstage. They are both pretty simple mods that elevate the phone beyond the beats by dre.

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #38 of 71
OK guys back on the subject.. thanks to everyone who gave me thier opinions..

i went a bought the Audio Technica ATH-M50.. these are my first expensive headphones (outside of the Astro Gaming headphones but i use those strictly for gaming) and as soon as i tried them i was extremely happy.. they sound incredible and the bass is exactly what i wanted..

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #39 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by MannyWins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK guys back on the subject.. thanks to everyone who gave me thier opinions..

i went a bought the Audio Technica ATH-M50.. these are my first expensive headphones (outside of the Astro Gaming headphones but i use those strictly for gaming) and as soon as i tried them i was extremely happy.. they sound incredible and the bass is exactly what i wanted..

awesome. It's always nice when these recommendation threads work out.

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #40 of 71
Quote:

I never said Beats were my kind of phones, but he will using them for rap etc.
They were made for rap. And the Beats bass doesnt totally muddy up the midrange as bad as you say. You heard them briefly. I heard them many times.
smily_headphones1.gif

Whether or not you like or dislike the Beats, if the bass muddys up the midrange or not - Fact of the matter is there are better headphones out there like the JVC RX700 for $30 for a more neutral tone, even the $50 Sony XB500 for an almost identical sound to the beats. What I and others are saying is the Beats are overpriced for anyone; if you like the beats, you'll like Sony XB.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #41 of 71
Quote:

Whether or not you like or dislike the Beats, if the bass muddys up the midrange or not - Fact of the matter is there are better headphones out there like the JVC RX700 for $30 for a more neutral tone, even the $50 Sony XB500 for an almost identical sound to the beats. What I and others are saying is the Beats are overpriced for anyone; if you like the beats, you'll like Sony XB.

Give it up already. He found his headphones! (Also i thought the beats sounded better than the Sonys. Theyre both at BestBuy. )

To the OP: Hope you enjoy the 50's. Maybe ill get to hear some at tomorrows meet.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #44 of 71
Quote:

There is a difference between over-priced for audiophiles and over-priced for someone else.
Audiophiles look for balanced sound most of the time, and Beats arent balanced. Theyre taylored for rap music.
People into rap arent usually audiophiles. They want to enjoy the bass-beats and lyrics etc., and they have a right to like what they like, but they usually go for phones like Beats. Ive stood in stores and watched peoples reactions to different phones before.
I suggested Beats, llike alot of other people did in this thread i might add, because of the music genre he said he wanted it for. He didnt say he also listens to classical and rock etc. He wants them for urban music.

Do you think the people driving around with huge subs in their cars going BOOM BOOOM BOOM would like the beats???
If you have one of those neighborhood-killing stereos in your car, then get the beats.
If you have Bose "everywhere sound" in your car, fine then get the Ultrasones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also...i believe your head-injury only allowed you to critisize me, without being helpful and also suggesting a headphone for the OP.
At least i tried to be helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

And at least I didn't have to resort to a pointless insult at the end of my post, joking or not. I did help by attempting to steer the OP away from the Beats. Perhaps I was at least partially successful.

I'll be brief since the OP already found his headphones.

You're wrong. Okay, maybe not that brief. But how can you honestly justify the purchase of a headphone that is overpriced regarding sound quality with something like "They're good for genre X and nothing else"? Doesn't that make things worse? Not only are they bad for their price, but their only redeeming quality is in the playback of a single genre? Would you buy a $1000 computer that is bad at everything but web browsing, but does web browsing about as well as any other $1000 computer? Even if all you do is browse, that's a handicap that limits the functionality of the product.

People have made this point over and over again. There is better bass for the price. And if bass is their only redeeming quality, then how are they worth the money? Even if you DO want bass and nothing else, nothing but pants-throbbing bass, why would you consciously handicap yourself by buying a $300 headphone with $300 bass and $100 everything else when there are $300 headphones with $300 everything in easy reach? You're buying shoelaces without shoes. Maybe they're really nice shoelaces, but they won't keep your feet dry.

Grados are made for rock, but they can at least stand on their own two feet in every other genre. Being good at one genre alone is no excuse.

Now we got out last words in and can let the OP enjoy his M50s. You can respond, I don't care. I won't respond back though.

For the record, I don't think the people driving around with huge subs in their cars going BOOM BOOOM BOOM would like anything that can't shatter housing foundations from a dozen blocks away.

And please, don't compare Bose anything to Ultrasone. I haven't heard an Ultrasone, but I know they don't deserve that. That's just low.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #45 of 71
i owned the D2000 and imo they are no 'good' for urban genres and those types of music. the sound is far too refined and accurate on the whole. while the bass is 'big' - deep and impactful, it is still even to some extent.

whereas for hip-hop you want the main emphasis to be a serious mid-bass hump for that 'groove' factor. how present mids and highs can be with this kind of signature is debatable and probably a quality indicator between different 'hip-hop' cans.

granted, this kind of sound will be largely despised here for its inaccuracy, but believe me, this is how those genres of music are meant to be presented. they are the opposite of audiophile friendly. only a handful of producers do things that can sound great through high-end equipment and in these cases the material is still better to listen to with 'silly' bass.

so, the d2000 were way too bright and i am looking for a new set - the dreaded beats by dre (new version called spins are dropping too) are near the top of my list. they will also have to be comfortable, which eliminates quite a lot of bass friendly cans, but other considerations include the sony XB series, DT770 and a few others...

i would recommend the panasonic rp-htx7 for the price though, works well with hip-hop. plenty of detail without being too shrill and nice bass. still too thin for my liking, but plenty of punch and enjoyable with urban genres. i also think the bose IE's have tremendous low-end - call it fuzzy, muddy, distorted or whatever, but it's there and rumbly in large quantities. shame they have such a lack of mids and highs it restricts detail/resolution in a major way. but completely non-fatiguing sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back