Best Headphones for Gaming?
Feb 7, 2007 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

cotdt

Headphoneus Supremus
Gaming sound is very important to me. Anyone who has experienced gaming audio nirvana will know that it is every bit as powerful as musical nirvana. I'm looking for a headphone for playing computer games, like DOOM and old fantasy RPGs. My requirements are huge soundstage and incredible detail. I want the headphone to completely disappear, in every way possible. I'll be using them with a balanced rig.

Currently the best headphones I've used for gaming are my AKG K701s and love it, but the soundstage is a bit small. For a headphone, pretty good though. It's more detailed than other commercial headphones I've heard, but I never heard any of the high-end ones. Still, I need more detail. I've also made some DIY headphones that sound amazing but are not comfortable, so I need something comfy so that I will think that I'm not actually wearing headphones when in fact I am and I want to be able to move my head about and have my mouth open without swallowing my own spit.

Have any of you tried the HE90 for gaming? Or Omega II? Or K1000s? What about Ultrasone Edition 9s?

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 20
The 701's soundstage is too tiny?!
blink.gif

Hardstuff.

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 20
For modern games like Gears of Wars but Doom? Are you talking the console remake now? Maybe they have updated the sound. Otherwise the original sounds they where having stellar Soundblaster 64 support. I got a great improvement going from PC speaker to Soundblaster 64 but then not much...

However for modern games yes these HI FI cans is good for more then just music
wink.gif

If you want as big soundstage as possible I guess you must run open headphones. Proline 2500 however it´s said they are very reveiling of bad recordings. Which would make Doom sound exceptionally bad if so lol.

I am getting the 750 since I kind of need the insulation and like what it does to the bass as well
smily_headphones1.gif

A900 have a really nice soundstage... Haven´t heard the AKGs though but it don´t feel cramped really. DT 770 PRO I have also got but it don´t have the soundstage of the A900 but still pretty good especially for closed headphones.

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 20
I'm surprised you find the find the soundstage of the AKG K701 to be lacking. It's one of the headphones with the wider soundstages, that I've heard. That being said, I find them to be too 'polite' for gaming, they're just pleasant, something that would be nice to wear for long periods, as they are quite non-fatiguing.

My A900LTD do seem to be less veiled but have just as wide if not wider soundstage, at least to my ears and I find them to be much better for gaming. The only other headphone that I've heard that has a better soundstage, is the Audio Technica AD900.. that's the AD open series, not the A series. However, the bass is a bit lacking in that.

Another headphone that I haven't tried, but you may want to check out, would be the Sony SA5000.

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 20
A900LTD it´s closed too?

So I know if I am comparing the creme de la creme closed headphone for soundstage with the 750s S-Logic
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 20
Since you're a confirmed k701 nut, you never find them at fault for their usual complaints. If you think they're god's greatest gift to man....how about keeping them as your gaming headphones?
biggrin.gif
Either that or save up for the HE90!!

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you're a confirmed k701 nut, you never find them at fault for their usual complaints. If you think they're god's greatest gift to man....how about keeping them as your gaming headphones?
biggrin.gif
Either that or save up for the HE90!!

well the K701s are way better than the HD650, Grados, and many many other headphones I've heard, both for music and gaming. these things are just magical, but i want a bigger soundstage. i wonder if there is even better headphones around... so i will explore a bit and compare things to my reference, the K701s.

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 20
I agree with poster #'s 5 and 6. How can you get much more detailed sound from an 8-bit source? Im sorry to say my friend, but what level are you expecting to reach? You arent going to get hardcore sound from the original Doom...

That being said, I made a post earlier, and got great suggestions about the DT770/80ohm version. so I purchased them, and am awaiting their arrival. I will tell you how they sound once I get them.

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
these things are just magical, but i want a bigger soundstage. i wonder if there is even better headphones around... so i will explore a bit and compare things to my reference, the K701s.

k1000 or HE90 are your best bets.....8 bit Doom on the HE90 must be just awesome. Soundstage should be great.....well I'm sure you'd find the k701 better with music anyway
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back