Best headphones for classical music
Mar 26, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #31 of 148
I’ve been curious about the Voce
Haven’t had a chance to hear it, I wonder if it also has the micro detail of the SR-009

during CanJam london i compared intensively the SR-009s and the VOCE, drived by the BHSE, and...did not liked the VOCE that much. Too soft compared to my SR009...

Mar 26, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #32 of 148
BHSE + Stax SR009 ! trust me !

IMG_6102.jpeg

Mar 26, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #35 of 148
I’ve been curious about the Voce
Haven’t had a chance to hear it, I wonder if it also has the micro detail of the SR-009

Not in my opinion, but that's not a problem for me.

When I hear the 800S or the high end Stax, like most folks I marvel at the micro details, but, following that, it starts to draw attention to itself, and then the irritation starts.

Voce has lots of detail, but it doesn't irritate. It reminds me of the best loudspeakers I've ever heard (Verity Parsifals, MG 20, ML CLS IIz w/ Gradient subs) - a balance between detail and broad brush strokes - that is a cue for great reproduction.

Too bad I'll need a lotto ticket to hit to afford one and the amp.

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #36 of 148
Not in my opinion, but that's not a problem for me.

When I hear the 800S or the high end Stax, like most folks I marvel at the micro details, but, following that, it starts to draw attention to itself, and then the irritation starts.

Voce has lots of detail, but it doesn't irritate. It reminds me of the best loudspeakers I've ever heard (Verity Parsifals, MG 20, ML CLS IIz w/ Gradient subs) - a balance between detail and broad brush strokes - that is a cue for great reproduction.

Too bad I'll need a lotto ticket to hit to afford one and the amp.

Very interesting notes on the VOCE, thank you

I can understand the fatigue with the SR-009, although IMO I'd still say generally it's a well-rounded headphone (or 'electrostatic earspeaker')

To complete the comparison, I wonder how a Shangri-La Jr sounds compared to the VOCE and/or SR-009

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #37 of 148
Very interesting notes on the VOCE, thank you

I can understand the fatigue with the SR-009, although IMO I'd still say generally it's a well-rounded headphone (or 'electrostatic earspeaker')

To complete the comparison, I wonder how a Shangri-La Jr sounds compared to the VOCE and/or SR-009

I heard the Voce and Shangri-La Jr in the same session, both on the HFM Jr Amp. Shangri-La was really good (much better than my only estat the Stax 303 Classic), but as soon as I went to the Voce, that was it. No more Jr.. The reality (bass & body) melded with the delicately drawn details of the Voce convinced me fast that its the best headphone I've heard. I have read that it has won a number of awards. I'm afraid to hear it again since the cost is over my budget, but anyone that can afford the freight should hear it.

Mar 26, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #39 of 148
Mar 30, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #40 of 148
Interesting thread. I'm primarily a classical orchestral listener looking to potentially upgrade from DT880s - which I generally like, but am always looking to improve on.

I've owned planar loudspeakers (Apogee Acoustics) now for more than 30 years, so I've been curious about how the technology has been implemented in headphones. But it sounds as if these headphone planars are primarily suited for pop, rock, and other bass-heavy genres. I've also been curious about the DT 1990s and T1s.

Mar 30, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #41 of 148
I use my Audeze LCD-2CB's for classical and have no issues whatsoever. :)

Mar 30, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #42 of 148
Had a pretty long auditioning session at Audio46 yesterday with some great cans and I have to give it up for the 800s. It really is a remarkable headphone and simply the best when it comes to reproducing the sound of a violin, or big orchestra for that matter. I ended up nabbing a HFM Arya because it's a better all-around headphone but there is real buyer's remorse every time I listen to classical. :triportsad: I hope to own the 800s at some point in the near future.

I'd love to try a Stax setup and be just as wowed but unfortunately they didn't have one setup. I experienced one at Canjam NYC a couple years back but it was way too noisy to get a detailed impression. Considering the price tag though it's probably best I hold off on that for while :D

Mar 30, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #43 of 148
But it sounds as if...planars are primarily suited for pop, rock, and other bass-heavy genres.

Planar bass can be exquisite, very detailed and controlled, but the planar headphones I’ve had have not been bass canons. The HE400i and HE560 turned out to be much better for classical than the HD650, which has too narrow a soundstage for large scale works like symphonies and concertos.

Mar 30, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #44 of 148
So what did you end up buying? :p
Hello all! Seems like this topic is getting some attention. Well, I must say that I had the chance to get a massdrop AKG K7XX second hand for $100 and these are the best 100 I've spend in a while! These are pretty good for classical music, with nice soundstage and a very natural sound. I'm about to try an HD800 which is for sale here in Colombia and if I like it I may end buying it.

Someone mentioned the Focal Clear and I should mention that I bought a Focal Elex a while ago and it turned to be a pretty good headphone for classical, it is very detailed and dynamic and this character makes music feel so live like that it enjoys some of my classical listening time

Mar 30, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #45 of 148
Hello all! Seems like this topic is getting some attention. Well, I must say that I had the chance to get a massdrop AKG K7XX second hand for $100 and these are the best 100 I've spend in a while! These are pretty good for classical music, with nice soundstage and a very natural sound.
Good choice! if you're ever looking for a closed-back for classical music in a similar pricerange, I recommend the Sony MDR7510. Would be a great compliment to the AKG K7XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back