Best headphones for classical music
Aug 31, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #61 of 148
I really enjoyed my Beyerdynamic DT1990 for classical and film scores. Ive recently tried the Hifiman Arya, but they're quite out of budget fkr both of us(for now).

I would also consider the Sennheiser 660S, despite not being a sennheiser fan, i was surprised with their ability to distinguish detail in violins for various albums i had, that being said i did find the DT1990 better in every way than the 660S.

One fault the DT1990 have is that they require an amp, i wouldn't recommend using them on a mobile device or desktop solution with a proper amp to drive them. The 660S can be pushed by a phone, dap, laptop or PCs internal sound card.
The Beyerdynamic DT1990 are indeed great with Classical and Jazz. Listening earlier today to one of my fav guitarist, Tal Farlow.

Sep 1, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #62 of 148
I listen exclusively to classical music. The AKG K702's lack bass, even after being broken in; they were my first "quality" headphones, and now i use them exclusively to watch TV. Next, I got Sennheiser HD600, which I like a lot--but they need a decent amp. Their midrange is very clear. They aren't bright at all. Soundstage is decent. I had the Senn 650 but sold them quickly because the bass was very muddy, and overall the sound was dark. I also have Focal Clears, which are now my favorite for classical music. The midrange is more detailed than the 600's, and the bass goes a little deeper but remains tight. They are easier to drive than either the AKG's or the 600's.

Comfort: The AKG's have "bumps" inside the headband--they don't bother me at all, but some have found them uncomfortable. The Clears are the heaviest of these three, but I find them comfortable. The 600's grip tightly on an average-sized head, but I stretched them over a set of books for a couple of days and then found them comfy.

Sep 1, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #63 of 148
I listen exclusively to classical music. The AKG K702's lack bass, even after being broken in; they were my first "quality" headphones, and now i use them exclusively to watch TV. Next, I got Sennheiser HD600, which I like a lot--but they need a decent amp. Their midrange is very clear. They aren't bright at all. Soundstage is decent. I had the Senn 650 but sold them quickly because the bass was very muddy, and overall the sound was dark. I also have Focal Clears, which are now my favorite for classical music. The midrange is more detailed than the 600's, and the bass goes a little deeper but remains tight. They are easier to drive than either the AKG's or the 600's.

Comfort: The AKG's have "bumps" inside the headband--they don't bother me at all, but some have found them uncomfortable. The Clears are the heaviest of these three, but I find them comfortable. The 600's grip tightly on an average-sized head, but I stretched them over a set of books for a couple of days and then found them comfy.
I think the Beyerdynamic DT 1990's are a good step up from the AKG702/ Senn600/650 which I previously owned and sold. I do think the newer Senn HD660S (which I own) is quite good with Classical.Thought about buying some Focal Elears ( huge list price drop), but changed my mind after reading post of the DT1990 sounding better. Also would like to hear the Focal Clear or purchase them when/if the prices comes down..

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #64 of 148
I think the Beyerdynamic DT 1990's are a good step up from the AKG702/ Senn600/650 which I previously owned and sold. I do think the newer Senn HD660S (which I own) is quite good with Classical.Thought about buying some Focal Elears ( huge list price drop), but changed my mind after reading post of the DT1990 sounding better. Also would like to hear the Focal Clear or purchase them when/if the prices comes down..

The Audio-Technica R70X, IMO, is another solid choice in the Senn 600/650/660S/AKG702 group.
It outdoes them in quite a few aspects - esp. overall SQ with nice bass - although does pull up short
in some others (like comfort).

And another - which IMO doesn't get enough credit on these pages is the Shure SR1840.
After a few years with them, I still think they're a really fine sounding set of cans.

I think they best all of the headphones listed above, overall. Really well tuned for a very
rich, true musical presentation. Yes, a few nits can be picked on build quality, but only
a few. As far as I'm concerned they give the 1990's a good run for the money - less
expensive by a good amount, in fact. They have been out for a good long while, though -
people legitimately wondering when their replacement will arrive...

Sep 15, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #65 of 148
I find it quite interesting that no one has suggested the Fostex TH600 and its derivatives; they have great soundstage (even though they are closed), phenomenal sub-bass and the somewhat addicting V-shaped sound signature. I own the K7XX as well as a K240 sextett and all of them are top choices for classical in different ways depending on the mood.

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #66 of 148
Stax SR009s

IMG_2918.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #67 of 148
K712 is great for classical - I think it's a little better for it than HD600 due to the wider soundstage and better instrument separation. I have both of those, but what I really find myself enjoying classical on is a pair of Focal Clears...

Oct 7, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #68 of 148
I find it quite interesting that no one has suggested the Fostex TH600 and its derivatives; they have great soundstage (even though they are closed), phenomenal sub-bass and the somewhat addicting V-shaped sound signature. I own the K7XX as well as a K240 sextett and all of them are top choices for classical in different ways depending on the mood.

You mean like the TH-X00? If so, I can't agree - as I usually do with you.

Oct 8, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #69 of 148
You mean like the TH-X00? If so, I can't agree - as I usually do with you.

Hahaha, thats true we usually do agree. I haven't heard the TH-X00 yet but it's supposed to have better midrange than the TH-600 so I assume it would be better. What about the TH-X00 do you not like for classical?

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #70 of 148
Hahaha, thats true we usually do agree. I haven't heard the TH-X00 yet but it's supposed to have better midrange than the TH-600 so I assume it would be better. What about the TH-X00 do you not like for classical?

Ummm... I find the bass to be way too much, but worse the mid and upper bass is so elevated it obscures the low bass. Also the bass is under damped for classical, much more of a rock sound.

The HD-600 is my ref for classical, and while the soundstage is meh, its better than the TH-X00.

Then there is the treble - the HD600 treble on its own doesn't seem that special, but it works for that can. The treble on the TH-X00 (Mahogany) lacks detail and is grainy. The Ebony is better, but both can't handle loud volumes or very complicated passages - IM and break up.

Now, those are different cans and the 600 may well do a better job.

Oct 8, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #71 of 148
Ummm... I find the bass to be way too much, but worse the mid and upper bass is so elevated it obscures the low bass. Also the bass is under damped for classical, much more of a rock sound.

The HD-600 is my ref for classical, and while the soundstage is meh, its better than the TH-X00.

Then there is the treble - the HD600 treble on its own doesn't seem that special, but it works for that can. The treble on the TH-X00 (Mahogany) lacks detail and is grainy. The Ebony is better, but both can't handle loud volumes or very complicated passages - IM and break up.

Interesting points - for some classical recordings, TX-X00 can be great, such as organ recordings. It kind of depends where the bass sits, but they can deliver pipe organ pedals, cello, etc very well. I find myself really liking K712 and the Focals for a wider range of classical music -- Clear does a terrific job with piano in particular, and I also have a set of Elegia's when I need something closed back. Both are excellent at a wide range of things. I think they beat HD600 and K712 in most regards. They have a more intimate soundstage, but that can work also.
Some my best listening hours recently have been with Elegia fed by a tube amp, more holographic than you'd guess. The recent Igor Levit Beethoven collection is a good example of something that really comes across well on the Focal's...

Oct 8, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #72 of 148
Interesting points - for some classical recordings, TX-X00 can be great, such as organ recordings. It kind of depends where the bass sits, but they can deliver pipe organ pedals, cello, etc very well. I find myself really liking K712 and the Focals for a wider range of classical music -- Clear does a terrific job with piano in particular, and I also have a set of Elegia's when I need something closed back. Both are excellent at a wide range of things. I think they beat HD600 and K712 in most regards. They have a more intimate soundstage, but that can work also.
Some my best listening hours recently have been with Elegia fed by a tube amp, more holographic than you'd guess. The recent Igor Levit Beethoven collection is a good example of something that really comes across well on the Focal's...

Yes, the Clear are a spiritual child of the HD-600, but it exceeds it's parent - I just don't happen to have a pair, so the 600 is still my piano go to - as much as I like the HEX v2 and HE-500 modded better overall, neither can quite do the job from top to bottom on the piano.

The TH-X00 does better when there is one instrument only plying the bass. But when you get into Panegyric recordings of Bill Bruford and bassist (or more), or a double bass, the instruments affect each other, to the detriment of bass damping.

Nice reply BTW.

Oct 9, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #73 of 148

Interesting,I can see how someone can say the bass is too much (personally I disagree), however, I've never been able to understand how anyone can say the midrange is elevated (granted, I have the TH600 not the TH-X00). My number one problem with the TH600 has been the massive hole where the midrange is supposed to be, I find the deep U signature to be extremely polarizing for me depending on the day.
Personally, I didn't like the HD600 or any Focal headphone so your endorsement of the two tells me we just value the signatures in question quite a bit differently. At least we mostly agree on Hifiman stuff :)

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #74 of 148
Interesting,I can see how someone can say the bass is too much (personally I disagree), however, I've never been able to understand how anyone can say the midrange is elevated (granted, I have the TH600 not the TH-X00). My number one problem with the TH600 has been the massive hole where the midrange is supposed to be, I find the deep U signature to be extremely polarizing for me depending on the day.
Personally, I didn't like the HD600 or any Focal headphone so your endorsement of the two tells me we just value the signatures in question quite a bit differently. At least we mostly agree on Hifiman stuff :)

I said the "mid and upper bass" is elevated, not the mids. The mids are well set back from the bass - which sometimes gives depth, but more often is false and attention grabbing.

Try the HD600 on the bottlehead crack - it mashes my Rag 1 with the 600 (including never before heard 20-40 Hz bass). I like the 600 as a reference from 100-2.5k, but I listen to it very seldom. The only Focal I like is the Clear - but its a bit on the ascetic side for me, rather listen to the HE-500. I had a shot at a Clear NIB a month ago for $750 and I passed. More interested in the HFM HE6se for $899 new (out of stock at Adorama).

Last week or so I'm playing with Alara for $339.15. Warm, good bass, but congested sound stage stock - until I physically opened it up to being about 60% open (it was 20% open - see the Alara thread). Better then the MD 4XX, HFM 400i, HE5se, HE5LE, Aeons and Sundara. More enjoyable than the HD600. More dynamic than the HEX v2, but not quite as coherent. Lacking some depth, and treble detail, and substance vs HE500 - but its only got 55 hours on it, and no XLR cable yet.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #75 of 148
I said the "mid and upper bass" is elevated, not the mids. The mids are well set back from the bass - which sometimes gives depth, but more often is false and attention grabbing.

Try the HD600 on the bottlehead crack - it mashes my Rag 1 with the 600 (including never before heard 20-40 Hz bass). I like the 600 as a reference from 100-2.5k, but I listen to it very seldom. The only Focal I like is the Clear - but its a bit on the ascetic side for me, rather listen to the HE-500. I had a shot at a Clear NIB a month ago for $750 and I passed. More interested in the HFM HE6se for $899 new (out of stock at Adorama).

Last week or so I'm playing with Alara for $339.15. Warm, good bass, but congested sound stage stock - until I physically opened it up to being about 60% open (it was 20% open - see the Alara thread). Better then the MD 4XX, HFM 400i, HE5se, HE5LE, Aeons and Sundara. More enjoyable than the HD600. More dynamic than the HEX v2, but not quite as coherent. Lacking some depth, and treble detail, and substance vs HE500 - but its only got 55 hours on it, and no XLR cable yet.

Fair enough, a slight misread on my part.
The HD600-Bottlehead Crack combo is supposed to be amazing but ever since I got the LCD-3s I've confirmed I'm a planar guy, so short of a meet I'll never hear that combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back