Best Headphones for Classical Music under $200
May 29, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #16 of 23
The K501s are great but are no longer in production and finding used sets in good condition is not easy. For a little over $200 + shipping from Amazon you can get the K601 which sounds like an improved K501 to me.

And I'm with you Erik: Classical on vinyl sounds the best!

May 29, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A side benefit is picking up a receiver with a phono stage. You'll be able to run a turntable. Classical on vinyl is hugely underappreciated, so you'll be able to find more LPs than you can store on the cheap.

I find the selection on Vinyl very very limiting. Especially if you're scouting used ones. Mostly you'll only find recordings up to the 80s, but almost nothing newer. The newer recordings are soo much better than 80s or 90s recording.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

May 29, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #19 of 23
I would disagree on the Senns (650 or 600) for large scale symphonic. In my listenings to them (at meets) they just turn into mush even thru very good amps. Too smooth and laid back. I prefer the AKG sonic signature although they can be a bit lean in the bass.

May 29, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the selection on Vinyl very very limiting. Especially if you're scouting used ones. Mostly you'll only find recordings up to the 80s, but almost nothing newer. The newer recordings are soo much better than 80s or 90s recording.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

OK, let's make a deal: You can have all the classical CDs and I'll take all the 50s-70s classical LPs
beerchug.gif

May 29, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #21 of 23
Yes, I'll gladly choose the CDs anytime..
biggrin.gif

Have you ever compared a Furtwrangler Beethoven recording from the 50s (mono) to a modern Beethoven recording like Osmo Vanska? Even the mp3s shows tremendous difference.

Also, strings on an old recording is pain to the ears.
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

May 29, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #23 of 23
Hey, thanks for all the replies.

I've had a good read through of the reviews of the headphones suggested.

I won't be looking to drive the new headphones with my cowon, that's strictly for portable use!

Looks like the k501s are the ONE for classical. At least for its price.

But, I am starting this home listening thing from scratch. So I don't have an amp. And I live in Sydney, where k501s might be a bit hard to get. And that after reading more, I might need to get a better source, which at the moment is just my laptop.

Hmm. Seems like there's a long road ahead of me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back