Best headphones for classical and opera $200
Nov 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #17 of 21
Please explain the ins and outs of a desktop amp. Is there one thats usb powered and doesn't require you to use software on a pc?

A USB DAC doesn't require any additional software. It can be used with whatever music software you are already using like iTunes, or winamp, or whatever. A USB DAC will need to be used in conjunction with an amp. There are quite a few units that are a DAC and amp in one unit, and there are also separates. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #18 of 21
Looks like im set on the Q701. Just a few questions,are these comfortable and are they built to last? And the amp,is the JDS one good for these cans? Remember my source is nothing special,just an iPod touch 5g

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #19 of 21
Looks like im set on the Q701. Just a few questions,are these comfortable and are they built to last? And the amp,is the JDS one good for these cans? Remember my source is nothing special,just an iPod touch 5g

They're nice, everything is great about the 701s except the bumps on the head band. They started to annoy me after a few hours of non stop use, but it could be a lot worse. The o2 amp will fit them very nicely as well. That's probably the most recommended amp for the q701s at its price range.

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #20 of 21
If you like bass heavy sound, I dont think that AKG q701 is the best option, although maybe this model has the most percievable bass among AKG headphones.  O2 theoretically drives better, allows higher and tighter sound, but whether you would hear the difference, is the difference compensate for the extra cost and hassle with an additional bulky gear, or you percieve the change as a better sound is an open question. I would look for a 32 ohm headphone, which does not require additional amplification (and put the money into buying a better headphone hoping the pricier is the better) from models that noted for being bass heavy, like Denon or Beyerdynamics. Actually, I heard at a friend of mine the Denon AH-H100. Wonderful and beatiful piece, if you can find one. The wooden cup or the construction makes a wonderful sound. But also you may think on alternatives. For 200-300 usd you may buy a fairly good IEM, which also does not recquire amplification. I would certainly think to buy a stax sr001. Stax is a different class of headphone, while senn or akg just sidesteps with different colorations within the same sound retrival mechanism.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #21 of 21
The K701 is $300,out of my price range. However the K702 and Quincy Jones Q702 are both around $200. The Q702 come in lime green which I dig. Whats the difference between the two? One is slightly more so comparison is nice,along with specs.

K701 and K702 are said to be the same; the only difference nowadays apart from their colors is that K702 has a detachable cable. So many will abbreviate them as K70x. (I think that there actually are very slight differences in their sounds, and K701 even less bass extension and a very, very slightly harsher treble.)

Q701 has slightly more upper bass and lower mid-range than either and the same treble as K702. So if you end deciding between them, it's a question of how much bass you like. K702 is bass-light, and Q701 is pretty normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back