Best headphones for bicycling?
Dec 29, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #33 of 68
I use Yuin PK3 if I am on the roads, and I use Senn CX300 if I am on paths. They both sound fine, and are cheap enough that if anything happened to them, I wouldnt be upset at all.

EDIT: Yes, people should wear helmets while bike riding. I as in a car accident last year, not from biking, but its not fun. I suggest every should wear a helmet while riding, especially on the roads, because there are bad drivers out there. Even if your a great rider and pay watch your surroundings, something can still happen.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #34 of 68
May be it is just me but:

1- If my head is ever going to hit the pavement, I want a helmet.

2- Driving or cycling or running or walking, I need to be 100% aware of my surrounding. Beside it could be pleasant to hear the ambient noises.

Is this a personal choice? Not really, we live in a society and at the very least the people who care about you will suffer.

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #36 of 68
In all the triathlon races I participated, audio devices are banned for safety reasons. It means if you choose to ignore, you will get DQ. Don't even think about leaving the transition area and not strapping your helmet.

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #37 of 68
For an experienced bike rider, listening to music while riding is not a big issue. Like drivers, we rely in what we see much more then what we hear. I usually wear earbuds on the road, but even if I wear my IEMs.. I can still hear a lot of ambient noise, honks, sirens, or people yelling.

Even though initially it's easy to say shame on a biker for riding with headphones....In reality it's comparable to a driver driving with the window closed (to dampen outside noise) and playing music.

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #38 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though initially it's easy to say shame on a biker for riding with headphones....In reality it's comparable to a driver driving with the window closed (to dampen outside noise) and playing music.

... and I suppose it makes it right.

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #41 of 68
Get the Grado SR60. It's a minimal investment ($79) but sonically superior to the iGrado's ($49). It's open so you'll hear traffic. If you'll pardon my puritanism, I gotta say I'm a little concerned about recommending headphones to you when my recommendation could be the one that leads you to an early grave. You need to hear what's going on around you. Do NOT get sound isolating IEMs. Don't get crappy earbuds. Do not get big-cupped headphones. You are going to wipe out (We all do) and only a fool would take his most expensive headphones out to get trashed the next time he lays his bike down. The SR-60s are knockaround headphones with entry-level audiophile sound. They're easy to drive. They're open so you're almost as well off as you'd be if you had no headphones. The only downsides are these:

1. In a heavy wind, the wind will interfere with the drivers because they're open. It's not a problem of flying down the road. I'm talking about those horribly windy days when you don't really want to be on a bike in the first place. (You can actually put Saran Wrap around the outside shell - held there by tucking the ends into the cushions - and you'll have a workable waterproof/windproof solution with virtually no noticeable loss in sound.)

2. The cord is a bit long. I had a nasty fall off my skateboard because of the same long cord on a 325i. You need to roll it up a bit so it doesn't become a safety hazard.

3. If you're wearing a hat, headbands can be tricky. The iGrado is a sports-style behind-the-ears wraparound. The SR-60 is lightweight but hand-band based. You can always take the cups off (in less than 10 seconds) but you'd then have to figure out a way to keep them pressed against your ears.

If you can figure out the logistics, the SR-60 will be the best biker headphone you ever buy.

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #42 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. The cord is a bit long. I had a nasty fall off my skateboard because of the same long cord on a 325i. You need to roll it up a bit so it doesn't become a safety hazard.

If I wear headphones with a long cord out, or walking around the house, I wrap the cord loosely around my neck. doesnt look pretty but keeps them from getting caught on things, stepping on them, etc.

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #43 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... and I suppose it makes it right.

Sure. As long as the cyclist is able to hear his surrounding in an adequate level, looks before turning, and rides responsibly.

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure. As long as the cyclist is able to hear his surrounding in an adequate level, looks before turning, and rides responsibly.

I agree that as long as you don't wear full size cans but something open and non isolating with the music at a lower level you should be fine if you are careful. An experienced cyclist should be paying attention to their surroundings and with an open headphone with music low you would have no problem hearing a horn or a siren.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #45 of 68
Get yourself a decent pair of IEM's, wear a helmut at all times and be fully aware of your surroundings.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back