Best headphones for Beatles music?
Oct 20, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #46 of 54
Skibumef;6095939 said:
I have a Mac, and I used iTunes to rip and play the CD's, new ones included. If you have a Mac, another program I'd suggest is Songbird. Mac or PC, I can't tell you what would be causing that problem. One solution might be to use a different program to rip the CD, and then import the files into iTunes to play. For PC's, a good ripping program is Exact Audio Copy. For Macs, there's Max (Max from sbooth.org).

Hi dude,

Thanks for the helps. Yea, is true that itune got some problem that i cannot rip my songs into it. I had tried using window media player and foobar, both got the open to rip it in. But not itune! I think there is somthing wrong with my itune, yesterday i try to rip in some songs, it also fail, it took me an hour plus ripping 20 plus songs, while usually it only take about 10-15 mintues.

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #47 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skibumef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Mac, and I used iTunes to rip and play the CD's, new ones included. If you have a Mac, another program I'd suggest is Songbird. Mac or PC, I can't tell you what would be causing that problem. One solution might be to use a different program to rip the CD, and then import the files into iTunes to play. For PC's, a good ripping program is Exact Audio Copy. For Macs, there's Max (Max from sbooth.org).

Hi dude,

Thanks for the helps. Yea, is true that itune got some problem that i cannot rip my songs into it. I had tried using window media player and foobar, both got the open to rip it in. But not itune! I think there is somthing wrong with my itune, yesterday i try to rip in some songs, it also fail, it took me an hour plus ripping 20 plus songs, while usually it only take about 10-15 mintues.

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #48 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skibumef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm always bothered by the misconception that Beatles music does not sound all that great.

That was the misconception, all right (although there are poor-sounding transfers of this music in circulation). Recording-quality-wise, The Beatles for the most part sounded as good as they could given the limitations of the analogue recording technology in use in the Abbey Road Studios back then--they used four-track tape machines throughout most of their tenure as a group. And some of the more complex recordings done on four-track had been bounced from tape to tape several times.

And on the new remasters and on a lot of the original and '70s UK vinyl pressings, I am tempted to go all the way to at least an RS-series Grado for them. (Especially the new remasters, which need a bit of warmth that only the wood-bodied models deliver.)

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #49 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, you went up the Grado way. I'm pleased. I hadn't followed the thread after my initial post, but I would've re-asserted (contrary to others) that I enjoy the Beatles through my SR325i and MS2i far more than through my HD580 (which is close to HD600) and D2000 (which is an upgrade from D1001, obviously) and K601 (which is...well, not really like K701, but you hear a family resemblance).

Grado all the way! All you need is love... and a pair of MS-1(i)'s. That said, there is noticeable improvement when moving up to the HF-2, based on my limited experience. But the crunchy, unrefined rawness of the Alessandros compliments the Beatles sound without fault.
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #50 of 54
Disinterring a really old thread :) I mostly listen to the Beatles (and some other classical rock from time to time) and about to buy a pair of headphones. Money is not really an object but I prefer not to get too wild. So taking into consideration the remasters that are out now and all the new headphones, what would you guys recommend? :D

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #51 of 54
Excellent thread, OP. To answer your question, I like the AKG 545s for Beatles music. I had no idea what I was missing, but the AKGs produce accurate sound that works well for John's psychadellic stuff ad Paul's base. For example, Strawberry Fields has a lot going on in it that I never even noticed with my old headphones, and I didn't even really realize Paul had such a cool baseline for A day in the life. But the base on these does not drown out any other instruments or sound muddy at all, unlike some "warmer" headhphones, which seem to have a built in EQ to make Pop music... well, pop. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #52 of 54
I have all the Beatles albums on multiple formats, including the most recent CD and LP boxes, and I have absolutely no idea how to answer this question. It's like asking, "What's the best plate for blueberries?" Absolute nonsense with no solitary solution. I truly don't mean to sound like the neighborhood Grinch. Just can't believe there are four pages of this.

:)

Jun 1, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #53 of 54
It's like asking, "What's the best plate for blueberries?" 
smily_headphones1.gif

Awful, and over simplistic analogy. For starters, plates don't influence the flavour of blueberries the way headphones influence the way recordings sound.

Absolute nonsense with no solitary solution.

Yes, in the same way that all headphone reviews are. For those of us who actually care about the way our music sounds, we don't buy the same pair of headphones if we were looking to listen primarily to Lady Gaga as we would if we were planning on listening to The Beatles, for example. Why are you even here, seriously? Thanks for reminding me why I don't go on anonymous
forums where people can easily troll for a reaction and attention, with little to no consequences. 

I truly don't mean to sound like the neighborhood Grinch.

I seriously doubt this. The way you came in here swinging like we're all idiots for talking about this on a head phones forum, like you're the queen of england, who just couldn't be bothered makes you sound worse than the grinch. It makes you sound like the world's biggest hypocrite, I bet I could even guess your religion. 

Just can't believe there are four pages of this.

You must either be new to the internet, or you've got nothing better to do than talk about how stupid we are for talking about the Beatles and what type of headphone would be good for 1960s rock and roll recordings. A day in the life for you, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back