Best headphones for around $500?
Aug 28, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #46 of 53
Quote:
You should strongly consider the MrSpeakers Mad Dogs for 300. I have the 250 dollar model (smaller earpads) and I feel they outperform many 500-ish dollar headphones I have used before - including the Denon D5000, Grado PS500 and Senn HD600.

they're mostly flat in response. a bit dark in tonality. Their imaging is very good but the soundstage is not as tall or wide as, say, the HD650.

+1  also HD650 are to picky with what gear you pairing them and with all pairings except one i heard thry are lacking sub-bass and that's why are for sale

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

I think I'd rather have a warmer set than a dark one.

Here's a good example of a song that has most of the elements I want in a good pair of headphones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs8I0ZqvNGk

Pretty warm tone to it, good acoustics, good bass, but not necessary for it to be "punchy", ability to separate the sounds of a complex song, large soundscape etc... Also usually the stuff I listen to isn't focused on vocals so they're not a huge deal.

From what I've been reading the HE-400's seem to be perfect for this, but dammit I can't find anywhere I can try it out so far.

So order them, try and if you don't like them send back. 30 days is more than enough to decide

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #49 of 53
Quote:
Alright... so I've been researching stuff about amps and DAC's, and I'm a little confused as there seems to be a lot of mixed opinions.

For the HE-400's, if I'm looking to use them for games as well as music, it seems like my best option would be a good soundcard + amp? Would a soundcard have a good enough DAC, and would an e11 be a good amp to use?  I was thinking about this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271006 plus the e11. Good match? 

I own Xonar STX  an tried E11 connected to RCA out bypassing headphones amp and it is not any difference so I would use sound card for gaming and DAC/AMP for music, currently use DragonFly as best of 4 thing i tried

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #50 of 53
Quote:
I own Xonar STX  an tried E11 connected to RCA out bypassing headphones amp and it is not any difference so I would use sound card for gaming and DAC/AMP for music, currently use DragonFly as best of 4 thing i tried

Yeah I hear the Essence has a great dac. I'm currently going to use my ST as a DAC for my Asgard, It's nice to not have to worry about a DAC solution just yet.

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #51 of 53
I just received my HE-400's today, thanks for the suggestions guys it appears to be exactly what I'm looking for.

These things run fantastic unamped, with just loud enough volume on the quietest tracks,  but I'll see how much of a difference it makes when my STX gets here.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #52 of 53
I just received my HE-400's today, thanks for the suggestions guys it appears to be exactly what I'm looking for.

These things run fantastic unamped, with just loud enough volume on the quietest tracks,  but I'll see how much of a difference it makes when my STX gets here.
Would you please do a follow up :) i know its old but Im in a similar situation, how is the confort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back