Best Headphones for air, space, lightness (<=400$)
Sep 7, 2004 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

KtoEto

100+ Head-Fier
Which headphones do the best job reproducing air, space and lightness?
I mean something like "Walking On The Moon" by The Police (simple, clear, suspended, delayed chords (the drum work is also amazing, very accurate, light and articulate))
or "The Rain Song" and both intros of "Achilles Last Stand" and "No Quarter" by Led Zeppelin
or the guitarplay of Frusciante in "Under The Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
or the light and joyful violins in "Eine kleine Nachtmusik" by Mozart
or the acoustic/light electric King Of Convenience

When I'm in the mood of "Space" and light music, I find my HD595 a bit too upfront and direct (I love them with everything else, though).
Are there Headphones which excel in space music, have a huge soundstage, are very detailed, distant (not in your face) and at the same time do not suffer from weak bass?

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 42
I have all the music you mention (despite the fact that I find Sting's voice frequently annoying... but of course the music's great). For me, the Omega II's have to take that prize. I think you'll need to mention a budget.

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 42
AKG K1000 and I'm going to say Sony Qualia 010 but nobody really has heard those through enough setups to really comment on the true nature of their bass.

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 42
is light in the bass area, but akg k501 with a decent amp could be it. very big sound stage, very good imaging. sweet midrange and very extended highs. the headphone itself is light and comfortable too.

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 42
Within budget: AKG K501's

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #9 of 42
I also agree with K501 in the budget
biggrin.gif
The others are way off your budget.

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 42
Thank you for the suggestions.
From what I've read so far the AKG 501 are a bit weak on
bass. Is an amp really going to give them more?

The AKG K 1000 are over budget, but might be worth considering in the long term.

Short term AKG 501 or long term AKG 1000?

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 42
i agree, get the 501 - very airy very detail, great with delicate passages - but it wont be a bass monster groovalizer ever.

but the 501 NEEDS an amp. so spend the 300 you will have left on a great amp. for 300 there are a ton that will fit the bill, and depending on your use (home? portable? transportable?) an amp that will suit both your 501s and you very well.

Sep 7, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 42
I just received my first amp a week ago, a Rudistor RP4.1 (the new version) and it works fine. So the amp quest is solved (until the next upgraditis attack which I hope is far away).
When I listen to space music I usually focus on the highs but the bass in "Walking on the moon" is really important to me.
How would describe the bass in this song with the AKG 501?

Where I live the AKG cost >=160$.

Sep 7, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by KtoEto
Thank you for the suggestions.
From what I've read so far the AKG 501 are a bit weak on
bass. Is an amp really going to give them more?

The AKG K 1000 are over budget, but might be worth considering in the long term.

Short term AKG 501 or long term AKG 1000?

the two of them need also a good setup to shine , the k1000 being more difficult to drive ..
remember you'll have to juice up them well .

If it was me , I'd go k1000 period

Users who are viewing this thread

Back