Best Headphones for $80-110
Mar 4, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #17 of 32
Given your criteria, especially the desire for comfort, I too would suggest the AD700s.

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #18 of 32
Mar 4, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #19 of 32
K271s?
I've read the HD280s aren't so good compared to others in this price range.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #22 of 32
AD700 just happen to be popular right now, just like the HARX700 and-900. I made a post similar to this with a poll attached here - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/new...i-cans-411672/
Hope it can help you more than it helped me, because I still haven't decided.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #23 of 32
You received 53 votes and several choices, the lead being the AD700. I know how you feel Nestor, as I posted a few days ago, wanting info, but receiving far less response than you received. I ended up gambling on the AD700, received them today. I am very impressed. I did not know what an open can was like, you know the possible leaking of sound, how much, how bad, all the things someone might think about not being able to actually hear the cans. I can tell you this, having owned closed cans previously, open cans do have better sound quality. So if that is of importance to you, think about open.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Busta9iron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You received 53 votes and several choices, the lead being the AD700. I know how you feel Nestor, as I posted a few days ago, wanting info, but receiving far less response than you received. I ended up gambling on the AD700, received them today. I am very impressed. I did not know what an open can was like, you know the possible leaking of sound, how much, how bad, all the things someone might think about not being able to actually hear the cans. I can tell you this, having owned closed cans previously, open cans do have better sound quality. So if that is of importance to you, think about open.

I know that open is better - my PX100 (open) can beat the snot out of nearly anything else I've ever heard. Now, that's not saying much, but it's still enough for me to affirm that a good open can is pretty hard to beat. I would have bought that AD700 already if not for my fear that it's current popularity is skewing the poll results. The problem is, I like my bass good and punchy (not overbearing, though), and I'm afraid that an AD700 just won't do it for me. Thus, I sit here using a HARX700 as a stopgap, while trying to make my decision.

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #25 of 32
just buy them nestor
biggrin.gif
, who knows you might not use your jvcs anymore.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #26 of 32
I have also noticed an increased popularity of the AD700 around here lately. I feel they deserve it though. Ive had mine over a year now after reading Marcus's review at headphonic.

The only area I feel they are weak in is bass impact. They have enough bass quantity in my opinion, it just doesn't have much punch to it. They are an incredible value for the money though in terms of detail, clarity, soundstage, speed, and separation. They are very versatile phones as well.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #27 of 32
they are popular, yeah, but they still sound better than every other can I've heard for 100.
(hd555, grado sr60, 80, skullcandy.)
so I think they're popular for a reason. I think they would have made it big sooner, if it wasn't for everyone being hesitant to buy a huge pair of purple cans from a fairly unknown company.

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #28 of 32
I've read two people, JayB18 above, said it best. "It's not lack of bass in the AD700, it's lack of bass impact". You can here the bass, all ranges IMO, just not very impactful. I expect that in a can, as opposed to traditional speaker setup. Like donunus said, "You might not use your JVC's anymore."

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #29 of 32
I would agree with that statement. When paired up with a bassy source (such as the Auzentech X-fi Prelude with default opamps), the bass on the AD700 is fast, punchy but lacks impact as stated. With other non-bassy/bright sources, such as a lot of onboard sound, it will sound bass light in quantity.

That said, the AD700's = awesome deal, especially for gaming.

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #30 of 32
The ad700s bass I would say has about the same impact as k701 bass or even more but lacks extension down below 60hz I feel. It sounds to me like a good minimonitor when compared to speakers while k701s sound like some thin and lean sounding floorstanders without punch but extends all the way down. The hd600s are bass monsters in comparison to both these cans by the way in case you need a frame of reference
biggrin.gif
The thing is... with the k701s for example, the lack of bass is more noticeable because of some sharp lower highs that masks the bass away. The ad700s feel more coherent and as a result, the lack of deep bass does not really call attention as much as k701s lack of bass does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back