Best headphones for $200??
Dec 15, 2001 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ekeup

New Head-Fier
First off let me say I've been on many BBs and this one is one of the most helpful! everyone seems to be very honest and not defending brands like lots of other boards. Now onto the business...

I only want to spend around $200... the headphones will used for:

90% classical piano playing (plugged into Yamaha P80 keyboard)
5% listening to classical music
5% listening to classic rock

I don't have enough $$ to buy an headphone amp right now (possibly later).... so what would my best option be WITHOUT planning on getting an amp in the future?

Here's what I was considering...
HD600? (can easily get on e-bay for $200)
MDR-V900 (found for $150)?
or something else?

sound quality is very important, BUT comfort is also important. I won't settle for anything less comfortable than the HD600 or Sony V600 or V900 type line.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 15, 2001 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 28
Don't bother with the Sony V600s or V900s at all, they are apparantely abominable.

The HD600 is great, except it really needs an amplifier. I'd also consider the Etymotic ER-6, or for a bit more than your price range, the ER-4P.

Dec 15, 2001 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 28
In the $200 price range I would recommend that you consider the BeyerDynamic DT-250/80's. To check the specs and prices, click here: Beyer DT-250/80

They'll give you great sound, great versatility, some isolation, and they're solidly built.

They do not need an amp to sound good and they will sound even better with one.

Happy Listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2001 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 28
hey kw.. I'm also interested in these headphones, for portable listening since I've decided not to drag my AKG's around. I also might use them to play guitar late at night. Think I'll be severely disappointed since I'm used to my AKGs, or what?

Dec 15, 2001 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 28
they're friggin' great cans. They're not as good as the AKG's, for sure; they don't have the soundstage or the airy highs. but they do have a nice balanced sound with a terriffic impact that makes them great for rock. I don't think you'll be dissapointed at all. hey, I was right about the 401's right?
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, I'm pretty sure you've seen this, but here's my Beyer DT-250-80 review. Just in cas that helps.

Dec 15, 2001 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 28
I would consider the Sennheiser HD 590. They are a bit too bright with very revealing and poorly recorded CDs, but I truly liked mine for classical.

Dec 15, 2001 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
they're friggin' great cans. They're not as good as the AKG's, for sure; they don't have the soundstage or the airy highs. but they do have a nice balanced sound with a terriffic impact that makes them great for rock. I don't think you'll be dissapointed at all. hey, I was right about the 401's right?
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, I'm pretty sure you've seen this, but here's my Beyer DT-250-80 review. Just in cas that helps.

Once again, Neruda to the rescue. I trust your ears, so I'm gonna grab me a pair as soon as funding permits. Just wish I could find them for less then what headroom has them for. Seems a bit steep.
frown.gif

Dec 15, 2001 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 28
My top pick for headphone under $200 that doesn't require extra headphone amp would be Grado SR225, can sound very good driven directly from portable CD player..........many people here seem to like Sony V6 (not V600) but I have not tried them.

I do slightly prefer Senn HD600 vs Grado SR225 if you were using with headphone amp. I tried Sony V900, it is not in same class as these two headphones (it is very comfortable though).

WAIT.......you want comfortable phones, SR225 require some pad
mods to be very comfortable so ignore everything I just said
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 15, 2001 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 28
Neruda said it all.

I was the one who introduced him to the 250's!
smily_headphones1.gif
He was the one who introduced me to the AKG's!
biggrin.gif

Is this a great community or what?!

Happy Listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2001 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by kwkarth
Is this a great community or what?!

No kidding!
smily_headphones1.gif
What is it about headphones that draws the coolest people together?

Dec 16, 2001 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 28
I totally agree with kwkarth and Neruda about the Beyer 250-80. I've owned mine for about 8 months and have been very very pleased with their performance, isolation, and build quality. Call Todd at Headroom or go to their website: http://www.headphone.com

BTW my AKG 401s are in their shipping box waiting to be opened.....on Christmas! The wife won't even let me take it out of the shipping box just to stare and drool over them. Ugh!

Regards - reynman

Dec 16, 2001 at 12:28 AM Post #13 of 28
And now that I think about it, it was probably Todd @ Headroom that introduced me to the Beyers a number of years ago when I was searching for a monitor can better than the Sony 7506's.

Cool!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2001 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 28
I agree on the Etys. They are fantastic.

You may want to give the Beyer DT-831s a listen. Make certain that you find a set that has been played for a while. I have never heard any phone change so much with playing time. They even get lazy if I leave them laying around too long. As long as I keep them exercised I really like the sound. Deep solid bass and detailed highs that make my HD600s jealous! The midrange is a bit on the analytical side, but I like that.

Jan Meier made me a great deal on the 831s.

Dec 16, 2001 at 1:01 AM Post #15 of 28
Ok now, I just have to defend my poor beleaguered Grado SR225s!

I love those phones! Rock, classical, anything I throw at them. Comfort-wise I have never had a problem, even after 2 or 3 cd's.

So, for the price, sound quality, and comfort, I think the 225 fits this bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back