Best headphones for $200 (give or take $30)
Sep 29, 2007 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Rhodekill

New Head-Fier
I want some good headphones for listening to music. I'm pretty sure that the Grado SR225's are what I'm looking for, but there's also the AKG K601's and Sony MDR SA3000's. I'll be using these with a ZEN Vision W. Will I need an amplifier, or could I just crank the volume up all the way and hope for the best?

I've heard that the MDR SA3000's aren't that durable. Anyone have any experience?

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 7
most any headphone can be used unamped from a DAP and still sound alright, but any of the options you mention would sound noticeably better with an amp. Of those three, the Grados will do the best unamped. It'll be difficult for us to advise you on your choice without full background on your music and audio preferences.

Sep 30, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 7
with the size of those headphones you probably won't be mobile much with them (I ain't, rather just listen to my vibes when I'm on the go)

so plunking down 60-80$ on a portable amp doesn't sound all that bad

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'll be difficult for us to advise you on your choice without full background on your music and audio preferences.

Mostly industrial metal and electronica.

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 7
What's your favorite instrument or noise out of your music?

What do you focus on when you listen to metal? (guitar, drums, vocals, melody, rhythm)

These kinds of things are important for figuring out what you want your headphone to specialize in in my opinion. If you like guitar, and you listen to guitar mostly with metal, check out the grados, they might be what you're looking for. If you like the drums, especially symbol rhythms, and the beats in electronica, a darker or bassier headphone might be something to check into as well.

Oct 1, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 7
Give or take 30 means you could go to 230.00?

In typical audiophile fashion I would advise you to stretch that to 245.00 and get brand new AKG701.
The msrp is 400.00 or 450.00 but I just got mine new from an authorized dealer for 245.00 including shipping.
Do a price grabber or e-bay etc. and you will find a great deal on these reference phones.
Of course you will slide down that slippery audiofool slope and then want an amp, then re-cable, then re-rip all your music, then buy a better DAC..................................

welcome to audiophile hell :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back