Best headphones for 1000$?
Dec 28, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 36
Welcome to Headfi and sorry about your wallet.

What will you be using these for (i.e. home, portable, work)? and do you need sealed (no noise leaking out) or is open ok (others hear your music too)?

Do you plan on using an amp?

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 36
you are better off pulling a dac-amp-headphone setup for that much money rather than getting a phone for 1 grand, since that headphone will be pretty weak sounding without the 2 other elements mentioned.

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 36
+1 on both posts....

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 36
Actually i am kind of new to all of this headphones sutff,but has done some reading here.
so my setup will be an ipod,i'll be getting one soon(FLAC files on it) plus an RA-1 plus the GS-1000.
is this a waste of money because the ipod is not a high end source,or will it sound great,but not as great as with an higher end source such as a high end cd player,because the flac files are barely comprssed(correct me if i'm wrong),so i think the difference will not be that big.
and i am sorry for my wallet as well (=
btw-sorry for my bad english.

Dec 29, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 36
No flames please, but I would plug that Ipod to a new pair of Etymotic ER-4P's and call it good. If you still want to improve on that get the P/S adaptor and a nice amplifier as well. There is no perfect headphone and the Ety's are not perfect, but for the money they are hard to beat, and you could spend many times more and not do better. Do a little research on the ER-4.

Dec 29, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 36
IMHO, with an iPod as a source you would be wasting your money buying the GS-1000 or even the RS-1. You will find that most high end headphones need a decent amp and source to sound close to their best. If you plan on staying with an iPod as your source, you may want to look at SR-225s or perhaps Audio Technica A900LTDs.

Happy Listening!

Dec 29, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 36
1. ipods don't run flac files. apple lossless if you will, but you'll have to do some ripping then.
2. +1 on gs-1000 or rs-1 being too much for an ipod.
3. consider lower end headphone + amp, i'd throw in my 2c for hd650+some amp like porta corda. etymotics are also a great choice if you want brightness. you won't be benefiting from very expensive phones without having a source that costs on par with them.

Dec 29, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm..

DAC AH > Heed Canamp > Sennheiser HD650

If out of a computer that is.

*drool*

Don't know nuttin' about the DAC AH, but I highly recommend the Heed Canamp/650 combo. I've used my imod with the two, and though not as nice as my Minimax CDP, it's not bad at all with a decent IC. I'd go for this combo and save up for a decent CDP or go the DAC/computer route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No flames please, but I would plug that Ipod to a new pair of Etymotic ER-4P's and call it good.

Me gusto mi ER-4Ps mucho, pero can't wear them for too long. The comfort factor needs to be considered. I don't think I'm alone here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, with an iPod as a source you would be wasting your money buying the GS-1000 or even the RS-1. You will find that most high end headphones need a decent amp and source to sound close to their best.

X2

Dec 29, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 36
Assuming you can spend yet more on and amp and preferably a new DAC or CDP as well, then I would have to say the best headphone for $1K is the K1000.

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 36
i would do the rs-1..it will still sound great out of an ipod...hold off on the rest until you learn more...and you wont regret the rs-1 either even if you upgrade later..

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #14 of 36
a <$1000 headphone and an amp/interconnect would be a better investment with an ipod. i wouldn't suggest open headphones like the grados if you're going to be taking the ipod out in public (i need to pump up the volume on my SR60s to hear well, they also make me look really really stupid)

but if you're going to be using them at home, then by all means go for the rs-1. i haven't personally heard it, but i love my grado SR60s and i've heard great stuff about the rs1. if it's for just home use, maybe a RA-1 amp from grado would be a good investment.

just because you have the money doesn't mean you have to spend it; you could drop a little over $300 on the Sennheiser HD650 with an amp/cryogenically treated cable and still have tons of cash left over for a source upgrade to a RedwineAudio iMod, which with rockbox will play all of your flac files so you dont have to change the files.

i might be wrong though, i don't know the cost of a nice amp for the hd650, and the imod would cost $400 if you bought a 4g 60gb ipod photo.

hell, some beyerdynamic cans would even suffice, their top models are all under $250 and sounds great, with most problems fixed with a recable (haven't heard a recabled one yet but given the praise they get here i'll assume it's worth it)

a $1000 headphone is NOT worth it with an unamped ipod.

i don't consider myself an expert by any means, so i may have a few inconsistencies in my post. other people will be able to elaborate a lot more. i could provide you with any links to the stuff in my post though!

np: Queen - Somebody to Love

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would do the rs-1..it will still sound great out of an ipod...hold off on the rest until you learn more...and you wont regret the rs-1 either even if you upgrade later..

Yeah, the RS-1 is alright out of an iPod. When I travel, I usually take the RS-1 and my 5G iPod along. Sounds good enough to be enjoyable.

However, I'd recommend getting a used RS-1 for around $500-$550 then put the rest into a good amp. You'll want tubes. And you won't believe how good the RS-1 will sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back