Best Headphones Below 500
Dec 29, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #16 of 28
I don't think that AKG 701/702's have overly exaggerated highs. Some say an overly large sound stage (maybe this is the headphone for opera and major ochestral works). The AKG 271s/272 doesn't have overly highs (the highs are quite gentle). Grado's deliver the highs in spakes.

The Denons are really decent. The 2000's are good and the 5000's are amazing (amp 'em of course). The 5000's are way over your budget (and mine).

I do have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 ohm model and these would probably make you very happy. Solid bass, decent highs, okay midrange. Closed. Need an amp. Would work well from your receiver or preamp. Really comfortable. Should be easily in your price range. These might fit the ticket.

I'm a bit of a headphone fanatic and have several pair. My favourite's are Grado 325i for rock. For classical, AKG 271s or 701. For all round listening, Beyer DT 770's. For travel, Yuin PK1's (glorious ear buds). I have other cans, but they aren't in rotation very much. Sometimes for jazz, I listen to my son's Sennheirser HD 595's or my AKG K340s.

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 ohm is really fine. Worth a listen. Cheers!

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #17 of 28
nope, they're perfectly in my price range, not too expensive, but expensive enough to get very good quality
Denon AH-D5000 ($420): Amazon.com: Denon AH-D5000 Reference Headphones: Electronics
biggrin.gif

AMAZON FTW
so those look like my best bet so far SWEET!
but what about the beyers 990 and 880? And any other opinions on the D5000?

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nope, they're perfectly in my price range, not too expensive, but expensive enough to get very good quality
Denon AH-D5000 ($420): Amazon.com: Denon AH-D5000 Reference Headphones: Electronics
biggrin.gif

AMAZON FTW
so those look like my best bet so far SWEET!

Just a note:
Quote:

Ships from and sold by CCV Sales.

Not Amazon, always check the sold by.

In any case, buy.com has them cheaper on order ($386.99) with free shipping. If your willing to wait it seems like your best choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #19 of 28
'no sharp highs' just crossed everything but hd650 off your list. DT770 and K701/2 are also not too bad in that department, but they are definitely not soft.

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

dt880/990 - treble happy.

D5000 sounds electric, there is aggression in certain ranges of treble.

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #21 of 28
i read that the akgs are too sharp for rock and about 50% of my music is rock, but o far ive read great things about the d5000s but not much on the beyers. How do the d5000s sound without a small amp?

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #22 of 28
Mine only cost $400 lol. Not portable unless you are 20' tall.

DSC01519.jpg

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
asking for the best headphones is like asking for the best restaurant. It's all a matter of taste. My favorite headphone is the k701/702-Even compared to the headphones that cost over $1000.

x2

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
asking for the best headphones is like asking for the best restaurant. It's all a matter of taste. My favorite headphone is the k701/702-Even compared to the headphones that cost over $1000.

Agreed.

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #25 of 28
Quick thoughts:
Beyer DT880: annoying highs, couldn't stand them myself.
AKG K701: Once you've played music through them for 350 hours and they've burned in nicely, they do amazing things with drums and guitar, but they are the soundstage kings. You will need a fantastic source to get the most out of them. If you like your music to have body and deep bass, they aren't for you.
Denons: The life of the party kind of sound that gives bass, good bass, even when it isn't needed, but that gives all music body and, IMO, makes it enjoyable, but at the expense of the mids and highs somewhat.
Senns: I much prefer the HD600s, which are as reasonably "neutral" as you can get and which scale with the quality of source and amp you provide. They tend to try to be all things to all people, excelling in nothing particular

Another thought though: for $500 you can get 1 or even 2 vintage Stax rigs. Careful selection can yield amazing results for little money.

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #26 of 28
Right on Malos! I think you should get a pair of HD-600

Many people prefer the HD-600 to the HD-650, and I think it is a better performer all around unless you have a 20,000 dollar amp (or whatever, a really nice amp
biggrin.gif
) But I disagree with most here, in that I don't think any headphones sound that bad without proper amping. But the sennheisers do climb amazingly well. So with 200 down here, you could put the 300 towards an amp, and get a 900 dollar amp
biggrin.gif

Also, you seem to think that more money = better and this is simply not true. The price is more about expected demand than anything else. My 70$ vintage AKG K241 beats everything on your list in my opinion. And by quite a bit.

I also agree that for closed, one of best is the AKG K271s, with velour pads- sounds much better with velour pads...

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #27 of 28
If you want a similar sound signature to your SE530's, I'd look at either an HD650 or a Beyer DT250-250. Most of the other recommendations are a radical departure from the sound you already have.

The amp you already have should drive the DT250's fine.

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Coming from the shure 530s, what set of headphones would be good for me. I dont want to need an amp for the headphones to sound good and my limit is $500. I listen to all kinds of music but my main concerns are detail and comfort but I also want it to be a good all around headphone. I have a nice portable amp, the ibasso d3, and i dont want to buy another one any time in the next 5-6 months and by that time, I will have enough to get a $500-600 amp. I want the overall best sounding headphones under $500 that dont need an amp to sound great but sound better with one and that are EXTREMELY comfortable to wear for long periods of time. Im not looking for closed headphones or noise canceling but they are preferred. My options that ive found so far are:

1a. Beyerdynamic DT-990 (ive heard OK things but not extraordinary)
1b. Beyerdynamic DT-880 (ive also read that these are better than the 990s)
1c. Beyerdynamic DT-770 (they are closed, but i dont know how they compare to the above 2)
2. Denon AH-D5000 (they look only semi-comfortable and ive heard good and bad things, but they are closed, which is a big plus)
3. AKG K-702 (ive heard really good things and they look comfortable but i feel like i could spend a bit more and do better, these are my choice right now)
4. Sony MDR-SA5000 (havent heard much at all actually)
5. Sennheiser HD-650 (look insanely comfortable but apparently suck without an amp)
6. Grado RS-2 (look really uncomfortable but apparently sound the best out of all of them but if they are uncomfortable, they leave my radar)
7. Sennheiser PXC450 (noise cancelling, huge plus, but how do they compare to the other sennheisers like hd600)

I know this is a lot to ask for and read but help would be greatly appreciated. And any other suggestions of headphones are also welcomed, but none that are way low priced, i want to pay for quality, not save money.

If detail and comfort are your priorities, I don't think you can go wrong with the DT880-250. They definitely need an amp, but I used mine for several years with a Headroom Total Airhead until I got a good desktop amp. In the meantime, I think the D3 will do fine. Also, one they are burned in, there is no problem with the highs. They are detailed, neutral, and sound better the more I listen. Bass is there but not overpowering. My second choice would be the AKG 701/702 (I have ordered K-701's and am waiting for them to arrive) but from what I have read, they need an amp more than the Beyer's do. Also, don't rule out a pair of Grado's. I have an SR-60 with bowl pads and they get regular use. While Grado's sound better with an amp, they do not need one. While not as comfortable as my Beyer's, they are not bad as people make them out to be here. I would try the SR-80's or 225's to see if you like the Grado sound. The SR-80's probably have 90% of the sound of the RS-2's and for less than $100 they are a bargain in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back