Best headphone without disturbing others?
Nov 3, 2005 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

FutureAudio

New Head-Fier
Which is the best headphone without disturbing others..budget being a couple hundreds or so?

I like neutral sound with good bass midrange highs and everything
k1000smile.gif

Accurate reproduction ..big soundstage and what not.
600smile.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 21
Go for an IEM. If you can spend around 900$ get the UE10 - satisfaction guaranteed. If that´s too expesive check out the less expensive IEMs from UE, Shure, Westone, Etymotic on this forum.
Loud listening levels are completely sealed off from others nearby with any of these.
etysmile.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 21
You'll probably want to narrow it down to "closed" headphones (i.e., no sound leakage, or very little). There are several excellent choices, depending on what you mean exactly by "a couple hundred" as you budget, and what your sonic preferences are.

Nov 3, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #4 of 21
There's a huge number of choices, too many to summarize in one post, depending on your preferences, budget, and esthetic tastes. You'll need to do research by using the search function, (headphone.com is a useful resource), and narrow it down to a reasonable few before we can really be of much help. I don't see much point in just throwing out a few names - there are dozens of headphones that sound good without disturbing others.

Nov 3, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #5 of 21
Well I have already tried searching a little bit and doing more so as I type this...
As of now HD280 pro sounds like what I should get but some people told me it is way behind HD555 or HD595.

As I mentioned in my first post I've a budget of a couple hundreds. $100 - $200 or maybe a bit more or less
biggrin.gif

I want to buy a starter headphone amp as well maybe now or maybe after a little while.

I listen to rock as well as classical and pop music. Actually I listen to all kinds of music and I never ever use any DSP or EQ etc.

I live at Akron, ohio so not sure what shops I can go and test some of these. I would still need experienced quality opinions of you guys.
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 21
I would go IEM for sure. I have the ER6i and they are amazing for sound isolation for you and your coworkers. Perhaps too much, as you can pretty much give up trying to hear what is going on around you. In that price range I have heard great things about the Ultimate Ears F5 (I think), but have not heard them. In general, the IEM sound will blow you away.
etysmile.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 21
The Senn HD 280 should suit you just fine, but it seems as if the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80 is considerably better in sound quality. It's also harder to drive, but that should be solved if you have an amp. Street price for the Beyers seem to be $179 or so.

Nov 3, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 21
My Vote is AKG K271 Studio

I bought my AKG K271 Studio cans specifically for work.

Very good isolation, extremely comfortable, surprisingly light weight, not fatiguing, and right at $200 with shipping. Also they mute when you take them off, which is very nice in an office environment when someone walks up to your desk.

Also they are impressively accurate and revealing. I came from Grado's and feel they make an excellent addition to a set of Grado's for home use. Sound to the Grado's is comparable (considering the fact they are closed and Grados are open).

Just keep in mind, they are not "bass heads". The bass is more realistic, not over accentuated or punchy. Very low response, but again, realistic.

I've had them for about 1.5 years, and use them 4-8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I still look for a better set for the same price, and have yet to find anything that compares.

I guess I've put about 2000+ hours through them, and still am in love every time I put them on.

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 21
As Barista says you may have comfort issues with canalphones. And then there's the issue of isolation. It can be good and it can be bad. Others certainly wouldn't hear your music, but you may miss phone calls, announcements, etc. Closed full-sized cans probably wouldn't present those kind of problems as much.

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #12 of 21
Thanks guys.
I'm not really comfortable with canalphones.

Also, I heard HD280 pro could be had really cheap used. Any of you guys know about what prices those go around?

I saw a guy talking about $30 on forum is that normal pricing?

I almost pulled the trigger for $99 at amazon a couple months ago...glad I didnt do it then.

Never really had any Beyerdynamic DT phones so dont know if I will like their kind of sound as I've been told they are quite different from senn and the likes.

Nov 3, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #13 of 21
...we are in AUDIO HELL... answering the same questions over and over and
over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
over and over and over and over and over and over...I feel better now.

Nov 4, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sade
...we are in AUDIO HELL... answering the same questions over and over and
over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
over and over and over and over and over and over...I feel better now.

rolleyes.gif
What do you mean "WE"? Your the only one crying from thread to thread to thread...
Here's an idea - Try logging out

Nov 4, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #15 of 21
LOL I know.
I really wanted to go senn route though.
AKG definately looks nice but cant find a place nearby to test it.

Also, 280 pro goes all the way to 8hz ( by specs) ...should be able to hit atleast 16hz in real world. -3db .. wish it was really as good as specs.

Any other choices guys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back