Best Headphone without amp
Oct 11, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #17 of 24
I mean, I'm not saying there aren't trade-offs--there always are--but IEMs are almost always easy to drive, definitely portable, and tend to isolate well. Depending on the user's ear canal size/shape and which IEM he/she chooses, they can also be plenty comfy. Therefore a good pair of IEMs are suitable for:
1. Use on the commute
2. Use on the plane
3. Exercise (or so I've read, have never personally liked sweat on my equipment)
4. Home AND Office/campus rig
5. Use with a computer, DAP, CDP

They just need more care so as not to lose, damage or overdrive them, I suppose.

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
lol at these typical headfi responses

Best headphone I heard without an amp was RS1.

Typical? Yes, but that doesn't mean the choices themselves are bad.

This is to open up more option to someone who just joined head-fi, so what better way to welcome them than to let them know the best headphones that we've found?

Quote:
Actually, the best KIND of headphone without an amp is...an IEM.

I would agree, but lower end IEM usually suffers from build quality issues.

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
I would agree, but lower end IEM usually suffers from build quality issues.

Fair comment. In line with OP's original "any price" condition, though, there are many fine, sturdy IEMs to choose from.

Quote:
Finally i choose ATH AD900. hope my choose is corectly.

Hope you like your new headphones! Please update us with your impressions.

Oct 11, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #23 of 24
I've got a pair of Triple-Fi 10s. While I'm quite happy with their sound, my ears just get irritated if I try to use them for more than about an hour in a day. They're great for portability, but I certainly wouldn't want my primary headphones to be IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back