Best Headphone without amp
Oct 11, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 24
The ATH-AD900s are great headphones. Awesome detail and clarity, as well as a huge soundstage. I wouldn't recommend them if you're in predominately bass heavy techno/trance whateverisityoubassheadslistento as their only possible "downfall" is they don't have head thumping bass.

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 24
Edit:

Here's the deal - if you have an unlimited budget, you should consider spending some of it to improve your upstream equipment - instead of just plugging into an external sound card.

But if instead you do not have an unlimited budget and insist on plugging into your external sound card, then there are plenty of options - not just one best that's closed and one best that's open - for everyone. The better question is which headphones would you prefer. Not everyone prefers the same open or closed headphones and thereby crowns them as "best".

To get the most useful input from Head-Fiers, I suggest providing a budget. Will you be plugging your headphones into any other equipment - or only the external sound card? What types of music do you listen to? And are you wanting to buy 2 pairs of headphones, one open and one closed, or just 1?.  
Quote:
anyprice.
for music 90%
movie 10%

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 24
hmmm oke, maybe i just buy 1, but if i'm buy another there is no problem.
I only use at home, and i prefer looking for open headphone(i know this is the best for staging), but i'm affraid if im in my bedroom the sound for open headphone will disturbing my wife(for these reason i want to buy another closed headphone to my bedroom).

i don't like trance music, i only hear Audiophile, Pop, or instrument.
70% i use it to plug with my external SC. 30% to my iPad(that why i don't want to use an head ampli).

ok, AD900 maybe i put it in my list.

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 24
Unlimited budget?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SENNHEISER-ORPHEUS-HEADPHONE-SYSTEM-HE90-HEV90-/380277043618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588a4731a2#ht_1705wt_1139

It even comes with an amp. 
smile_phones.gif

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #11 of 24
When I need to be mobile at home I unplug my Grado SR325i or RS1i from the amp, connect them to my iPod or MacBookPro and they work perfectly delivering very good sound quality (considering the source).

Oct 11, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 24
Alright, serious answers.

For unamped, some popular closed choices are Shure 840, ATH M50, Denon AH D1001, and Senn HD 25 1-II.

Some popular choice for open cans include, HD 555 (modded) and ATH AD700.

I would really suggest getting an amp though, since they can easily increase your music experience tenfold.

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
For unamped, some popular closed choices are Shure 840, ATH M50, Denon AH D1001, and Senn HD 25 1-II.

Some popular choice for open cans include, HD 555 (modded) and ATH AD700.

Out of all those choices, I would say go with the D1001 for closed, or HD 555 (or even just get the 595) for open.

There are very real, potential pitfalls of all the other choices:
Shure SRH 840 is heavy. Having owned the 440, I also know that if your ears stick out enough to touch the grills, the clamp can be painful.
ATH M50 has a somewhat divisive sound signature, as far as I can tell. Since OP intends the cans for casual use, these monitors may be unengaging for him.
HD 25-1 II can clamp rather hard--take heed if your head is large. Also for pure sound quality (without amp and without recabling), there are better headphones for the money. They'd be better for portable use.
ATH AD700 can have insufficient clamping force if your head is too small. Having owned the AD300 (which has the same build), I found the headphones would not stay in place due to a combination of my head size and the headphones' design--there is NO adjusting the grip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back