Best headphone under $30?
Jul 31, 2013 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

vvaisakh2006

New Head-Fier
Which is the best headphone under $30?
Genre : Pop,Classical,R&B.. Preference : High Volume & Bass.... 
No brand preference...I just want the best quality stuff under this price..:)

First I thought about buying JVC S500 but it will cost almost $90 including shipping..
Waiting for ur suggestions..!

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 34
If you can find a Sennheiser HD419 or Koss PortaPro on sale or something for $30, you'll have extremely decent value for money in your hands.

Normally both sit around the $35-40 mark. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 34
Koss KSC75s ($15)
And if you don't like the ear clips you can get the parts express headband ($8) or the Sportapros ($25) and pop the drivers into those headbands
Super great sounding and super cheap headphones

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 34
Koss Portapro - $35, very good for the price and a true classic, bass is rock solid too, buy them if you don't mind the 80's look. 

Sennheiser HD201- $26, never heard em, but for 26 bucks, and it's a Sennheiser so you really can't go wrong. 

Koss KSC75 as the others have mentioned has the same exact drivers as the Portapro so it should be decent, and its great if your into that compact ear-clip thing, only $15

Some of the Monoprice headphones are dirt cheap and supposedly good for the money, but I've never heard em.

For 20 more bucks you could get the Audio Technica ATH-M30's which I'm sure are a step up from the HD201's. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Sennheiser HD201- $26, never heard em, but for 26 bucks, and it's a Sennheiser so you really can't go wrong. 

Some of the Monoprice headphones are dirt cheap and supposedly good for the money, but I've never heard em.

For 20 more bucks you could get the Audio Technica ATH-M30's which I'm sure are a step up from the HD201's. 

This is one of the biggest problems on headfi - recommending headphones you havn't heard, and assuming they sound good because of the brand.

The HD201 sounds absolutely rubbish - they are Sennheisers cheapest full size headphone and their only redeeming feature is the solid build quality. 
I've never seen the ATH-M30 strongly and positively recommended by anyone on headfi. Ever.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 34
JVC HAS400. Under $25 in the US. Where are you?

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #8 of 34
I have the HARX500, and I would say they are about the same as the monoprice, the fit on your head is different but sound quality is about the same. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #9 of 34
Do not listen to recommendations where they mention they've never heard them. Makes zero sense.

I am a big budget-fier. And a deal hunter..

The KSC-75s (that have already been recommended for you) are a great clip on headphone that plays well with your genre's not sure about your preference because saying "Bass" is not very conclusive..

Do you like deep/accurate bass? Or do you prefer the thump and pounding you get from a midbass centric sound (which the KSCs are not)

and you can get them on a stupid clearance sale for $1.93 at your local OD.. better hurry because the deal has been around for awhile.

To check your local Office Depot for stock. Go to:
http://checkinvt2.appspot.com/
And use SKU NUMBER: 996507 and your zipcode.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #10 of 34
Aug 1, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:
Do not listen to recommendations where they mention they've never heard them. Makes zero sense.

I am a big budget-fier. And a deal hunter..

The KSC-75s (that have already been recommended for you) are a great clip on headphone that plays well with your genre's not sure about your preference because saying "Bass" is not very conclusive..

Do you like deep/accurate bass? Or do you prefer the thump and pounding you get from a midbass centric sound (which the KSCs are not)

and you can get them on a stupid clearance sale for $1.93 at your local OD.. better hurry because the deal has been around for awhile.

To check your local Office Depot for stock. Go to:
http://checkinvt2.appspot.com/
And use SKU NUMBER: 996507 and your zipcode.

I'm from India.. Its not working for me.. KSC 75 is not available here too..I have to import it and it will only cost around $17.. I'm not an audiophile but am trying to be one.. So i cant specify my requrmnts deeply.. Can you tell me more about its sound? I will be using it in my laptop... Is an amp essential? 

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:
I'm from India.. Its not working for me.. KSC 75 is not available here too..I have to import it and it will only cost around $17.. I'm not an audiophile but am trying to be one.. So i cant specify my requrmnts deeply.. Can you tell me more about its sound? I will be using it in my laptop... Is an amp essential? 

Ah man.. that complicates things a bit then.. since prices can fluctuate drastically from US to India in regards to headphones.

I can only spit out budget-fi gear as priced in US's market.

If you're looking for a "headphone" .. you will have more options and get much better value ($ vs sound quality) if you start looking into IEMs (in ear monitor) or earbuds (like from Yuin/Blox) because you have such a limited budget.

Here's some good values under $30 that I have/have owned/heard (not expensive in US, but if theres a product line for it in India, there shouldn't be too much inflation)

IEMS/BUDS
$5-$10 Philips SHE3850 (warm/balanced)
$7-$10 Panasonic RPHJE120 (balanced)
$7-$10 Monoprice 8320 (one of the best in value for sound.. huge 14mm drivers can be uncomfortable for many)
$15-$20 JVC HAFX40 (v shaped, really bright and agressive)
$15-$20 JVC HAFX101 (v shaped, for your thumping bass and spiky treble needs)
$15-$25 MEElectronics M6 (great design, accessories, punchy bass, fun and energetic)
$18-$30 Ultimate Ears UE500 (dynamic, bassy, decent value)
$30-$45 SoundMagic e10 (warm, great punch and clarity, excellent value)
$30-$45 Sony MH1c (warm, similar to e10, maybe a little smoother and relaxed imo)
$30-$50 MEElectronics a151 (balanced signature, not bassy, smooth and relaxing mids)
$37-$60 Ultimate Ears UE600 (balanced, my favorite budgetfi for vocals/soundstage/midcentric music)

FULL SIZED
$20-$30 Monoprice 8323(full size headphone, another excellent value)
$25-$40 Sennheiser HD428 (great detail/balance/comfort.. get it refurbed..eBay in India?)

edit: Forgot to answer your question in regards to amping..  Typically in the price range your budget is in.. none of the aforementioned gear I've listed or that have been recommended in this thread Need amping. When you move your budget up into higher quality gear.. there'll probably be more noticeable benefits.. but not in this price bracket.

Now if you're listening to music from a laptop or a computer source... a DAC (digital to analog converter) would be more useful. Make sure you keep up with your music files.. if no CD/Vinyls.. quality files will go a long way. 192kps are frowned upon around here. Lossless/320/FLACs are what you need to get the most quality out of your listening experience.

Good luck bro!

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 34
Ah man.. that complicates things a bit then.. since prices can fluctuate drastically from US to India in regards to headphones.

I can only spit out budget-fi gear as priced in US's market.

If you're looking for a "headphone" .. you will have more options and get much better value ($ vs sound quality) if you start looking into IEMs (in ear monitor) or earbuds (like from Yuin/Blox) because you have such a limited budget.

Here's some good values under $30 that I have/have owned/heard (not expensive in US, but if theres a product line for it in India, there shouldn't be too much inflation)

IEMS/BUDS
$5-$10 Philips SHE3850 (warm/balanced)
$7-$10 Panasonic RPHJE120 (balanced)
$7-$10 Monoprice 8320 (one of the best in value for sound.. huge 14mm drivers can be uncomfortable for many)
$15-$20 JVC HAFX40 (balanced)
$15-$20 JVC HAFX101 (v shaped, for your thumping bass and spiky treble needs)
$18-$30 Ultimate Ears UE500 (dynamic, bassy, decent value)
$30-$45 SoundMagic e10 (warm, great punch and clarity)
$30-$45 Sony MH1c (warm, similar to e10, maybe a little smoother and relaxed imo)
$30-$50 MEElectronics a151 (balanced signature, not bassy)
$37-$60 Ultimate Ears UE600 (balanced, my favorite budgetfi for vocals/soundstage/midcentric music)

FULL SIZED
$20-$30 Monoprice 8323(full size headphone, another excellent value)
$25-$40 Sennheiser HD428 (great detail/balance/comfort.. get it refurbed..eBay in India?)

edit: Forgot to answer your question in regards to amping..  Typically in the price range your budget is in.. none of the aforementioned gear I've listed or that have been recommended in this thread Need amping. When you move your budget up into higher quality gear.. there'll probably be more noticeable benefits.. but not in this price bracket.

Now if you're listening to music from a laptop or a computer source... a DAC (digital to analog converter) would be more useful. Make sure you keep up with your music files.. if no CD/Vinyls.. quality files will go a long way. 192kps are frowned upon around here. Lossless/320/FLACs are what you need to get the most quality out of your listening experience.

Good luck bro!

Uhhh FX40 as balanced?? I love them but they are by far the most V-shaped phones I've listened to...

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Uhhh FX40 as balanced?? I love them but they are by far the most V-shaped phones I've listened to...

lol.. sorry.. but you are right. I might've been thinking about something else when I wrote it. :)

on another note.. when I say balanced for the A151 and UE600.. they're not balanced in the sense that bass and treble are on par with the Mids. I should've just said mid-centric cause that's what they are. 

They have bass ie: good accuracy and texture.. just not dynamic bass in the sense that the Midbass thump is non-existent. (Typical for Balanced Armature gear.. which is probably why I typed balanced O_O)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back