Best headphone under $1k
Oct 3, 2006 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

axky99

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, everyone. My current setup is Cambridge Audio 640c v2 , MF X-Can v2 connected with Nordost Red Dawn (it's on the way, so I haven't tried it out yet). Now, I use UE 10pro in my setup; i heard most ppl say headphone will provide bigger and deeper soundstage; So I am interesting getting one. but I am worry about the headphone will lost some detail compare to UE10pro. HD650 maybe a good choice for me as a beginner. I wonder if there any other phone are better for violin primary and vocal secondary. Thank you advance for all your commons and suggestions!!

Oct 3, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 47
Ive seen K1000s sell for under a grand used. That would get my vote, used though.

Honorable mention, K701... So good at so many things, and its WELL under a grand too, you've got $550 left over for an amp.

Personal fave is the RS1, but its a one-trick pony... love hate kind of thing.

Oct 3, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by axky99
I wonder if there any other phone are better for violin primary and vocal secondary. Thank you advance for all your commons and suggestions!!

My vote is for an RS-1/2 or GS 1000 based on your statement above, these cans' accuracy in depicting detail in these categories..

Oct 3, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 47
Although there are phones I've heard better, right now my favorite sub $1K phone would be the Grado GS1K. Kinda out of fashion recently, but finally a Grado to love. Beats the HD650 (own) and K701 (owned) if you ask me.

$1000 opens several options though. If detail in a focus there's some STAX combos to look at. And the K1000 should be a consideration. How bad of shape would a L3000 have to be to squeak under $1000?

Oct 4, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
How bad of shape would a L3000 have to be to squeak under $1000?

only if they have been used as a weapon in some sort of snuff film.

Oct 4, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 47
Don't forget the DX1000
biggrin.gif

I'm warming up to mine. They'll still be on ebay soon, though, because I want to try the GS1000 and K1000.

That aside, these are very good for some music. A lot of classical sounds fantastic, violin and vocals included. These have by far the most vivid soundstage I've heard in headphones. They have the HD650 sound, and the HD650 "veil," though not to the same extent as the HD650. Everything about these headphones is better than the (Cardas balanced) HD650, IMO. I'd call them a direct upgrade.

Oct 4, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 47
I wonder if my x-can v2 can drive GS1000 ? Do you recommand buy a brand new one or a mint condition one since I dont need to burn in the unit?

Oct 4, 2006 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
but finally a Grado to love. Beats the HD650 (own) and K701

how would you quickly compare those 3 ?
why do u still keep HD650 ?

thx

--G

Oct 4, 2006 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

I wonder if my x-can v2 can drive GS1000 ? Do you recommand buy a brand new one or a mint condition one since I dont need to burn in the unit?

Not sure what your second question is asking, but the first one is certainly a yes. Of course, headphones in the GS1000's league will scale higher with better amps, but the X-can will do just dandy in the meantime.

Oct 4, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #12 of 47
Of course he can. And if I were your I would try them out first and compare with RS1/2 models. Because RS series are PERFECT as they are, but for much less money used. And yes, buy used one, however it is only my opinion.
You can sell your x-can and buy some Mappletree Ear+ with RS1 or 2 and that's same money for just only GS1.
tongue.gif

Try first, if you get a chance. Can save you a bit of money.
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Oct 4, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Not sure what your second question is asking, but the first one is certainly a yes. Of course, headphones in the GS1000's league will scale higher with better amps, but the X-can will do just dandy in the meantime.

I mean "should I buy a brand new headphone or just buy a used (in mint condition) so that i dont need to wait for it burn in . Thank you!

Oct 4, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore
Of course he can. And if I were your I would try them out first and compare with RS1/2 models. Because RS series are PERFECT as they are, but for much less money used. And yes, buy used one, however it is only my opinion.
You can sell your x-can and buy some Mappletree Ear+ with RS1 or 2 and that's same money for just only GS1.
tongue.gif

Try first, if you get a chance. Can save you a bit of money.
eggosmile.gif

So what do you think GS1000 can beats RS1/2 in what area? as all you know I will mainly use my phone to play the sole violin collections. If RS1/2 is good enough to present a good violin sound (vocal too) with my X-can V2, I would like to love save some bucks for a upgrade AMP later. Thank you!

Oct 4, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

I mean "should I buy a brand new headphone or just buy a used (in mint condition) so that i dont need to wait for it burn in . Thank you!

That's up to you. Personally I'd save the money if I could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back