Best headphone under $1k
Oct 4, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #16 of 47
I have a stupid concern. I am worry about the sound quality of the headphone(<1K) will downgrade from my UE10pro. I want to get a headphone can beat UE10pro with my X-can V2. Thank you!!

Oct 4, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #17 of 47
i'd certainly recommend a good stax rig for your purposes before a grado, but if the grado idea strikes your fancy i'd look for the alessandro ms-pro before the rs-1. it's tonal balance, especially on an acoustic instrument, is considerably better. i'm not sure how many folks have spent time with both but i briefly had the 2 together and i distinctly preferred the ms-pro.

Oct 4, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by axky99
So what do you think GS1000 can beats RS1/2 in what area? as all you know I will mainly use my phone to play the sole violin collections. If RS1/2 is good enough to present a good violin sound (vocal too) with my X-can V2, I would like to love save some bucks for a upgrade AMP later. Thank you!

RS-1 is great for solo violin and solo vocal. If you get piano as accompaniment it is still OK , but I would switch to HD650 for concertos, also you have to check if X-Can V2 has good synegy with Grados. People found X-Can V3 very good to drive HD650 but I don't remember anyone talk about driving Grado with X-Can

Oct 4, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #19 of 47
AKG K1000, Audio-technica W5000 and Grado GS-1000 are, IMHO, the dynamic contenders.
With my system and needs, the W5000 are my choice. Having owned the K1000 and having tested the GS-1000 with my setup. Quality-wise all of these represent the same level, in my opinion, so it's a matter of system synergy and musical preferences at this point.
Both of the 1000's are amazing cans, but too open for my needs. The K1k was too hard to amplify, and the GS1k was a little bit too recessed sonically to replace the W5k for me.
That said, everything but owning all three is a compromise.

EDIT: Just read that the OP wants the cans mainly for listening to violins and vocals. In that case the GS-1000 should be the choice, if you ask me. All acoustics sound extremely beautiful with the wooden timbre of the GS-1000. For something more aggressive look into the other two cans.

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by geoges.ravel
RS-1 is great for solo violin and solo vocal. If you get piano as accompaniment it is still OK , but I would switch to HD650 for concertos, also you have to check if X-Can V2 has good synegy with Grados. People found X-Can V3 very good to drive HD650 but I don't remember anyone talk about driving Grado with X-Can

Someone did mention and recommand me to pair HD650 with X-can V3; it's okay with X-can v2. Plus,l want to get a phone work well with my current system for next couple months coz i just got my AMP a month ago.

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #21 of 47
Of the headphones I have heard or owned (see link), there is no question in my mind:

AKG K1000 (properly amped, very important).
A STAX Lamda Pro rig.

Both of the headphones mentioned above are discontinued, highly regarded and sought after. So they aren't easy to come by, but it is worth any/all effort needed to acquire them.

Honorable mention goes to Grado GS-1000, but in the end I preferred them more with flats than with the stock 'bagel' pads. I had to pay some bills recently, so the GS-1Ks were sold, but I will acquire another pair in the near future.

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
AKG K1000, Audio-technica W5000 and Grado GS-1000 are, IMHO, the dynamic contenders.
With my system and needs, the W5000 are my choice. Having owned the K1000 and having tested the GS-1000 with my setup. Quality-wise all of these represent the same level, in my opinion, so it's a matter of system synergy and musical preferences at this point.
Both of the 1000's are amazing cans, but too open for my needs. The K1k was too hard to amplify, and the GS1k was a little bit too recessed sonically to replace the W5k for me.
That said, everything but owning all three is a compromise.

EDIT: Just read that the OP wants the cans mainly for listening to violins and vocals. In that case the GS-1000 should be the choice, if you ask me. All acoustics sound extremely beautiful with the wooden timbre of the GS-1000. For something more aggressive look into the other two cans.

As your advise, GS1000 would be the best choice around that price range for my musical preference. But will my X-can V2 will be good with GS1000? The other folks said hasnt seen anyone mention X-can drive Grado.

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

As your advise, GS1000 would be the best choice around that price range for my musical preference. But will my X-can V2 will be good with GS1000? The other folks said hasnt seen anyone mention X-can drive Grado.

I think the X-can would sound just fine with the Grados. Grados are quite easy to drive to begin with, and most people seem to prefer tube amps with Grados.

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #24 of 47
I just read some review on RS1 at Headphonereview.com. I probably wont consider Grado RS1/2 since treble is not their forte. What will be the fair price to get a new GS1000? and where? Thank you !

Oct 4, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

i believe that both mrarroyo and sk138 have plenty of experience with x-can/grado (not gs1k tho) pairings. do a search and/or contact them directly. let me reiterate that the alessandro ms-pro (a variant of the rs-1) i view as distinctly preferable to the rs-1, especially in light of your needs, and might serve you well (if not you should have no trouble selling/trading it here). but your budget will allow for a stax rig, which you might find in the for sale forum, and that could be something really special.

Oct 4, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #26 of 47
If you can find one, the W2002 and K1000 get my vote. The W2002 can be highly underrated here, but with the right amp (HA2002, Moded Sundgen Headmaster) they can be amazing. The K1000 is a very capable headphone and can go head to head with the best of them, so I would even pick the K1000 as a better buy and get an RKV MKII for them. The Senn HD-650 balanced is also very special but a balanced amp is probably more expensive than the HA2002 and RKV MKII.

Oct 4, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASTAN
how would you quickly compare those 3 ?
why do u still keep HD650 ?
thx
--G

Well I'm at the beginning of what I hope would be a GS1000 review, so I'll wait to make big comments there, however while I think the HD650/K701 battle is about preference (single ended, I never heard the K701 balanced). My rankings were:
HD650/Zu > K701 > HD650 stock (though balanced preferred HD650 stock to Mobius).

I think the GS1000 is clearly a step up though. There are still some issues with the top end, but none anywhere near the other production Grados (from a Senn or AKG fan perspective, a Grado fan may come to quite different conclusions
wink.gif
). I still have the HD650, because I'm still testing. It's unlikely I'll keep them and the GS1000 (and a few other phones), but right now it looks strongly like the GS1000 is the keeper. The money is the only thing I'm debating about.

Oct 4, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Although there are phones I've heard better, right now my favorite sub $1K phone would be the Grado GS1K. Kinda out of fashion recently, but finally a Grado to love. Beats the HD650 (own) and K701 (owned) if you ask me.

I guess some people process sound while others just hear it. This must be, cuz there's no other explanation as to how someone can ignore the abundance of technical aspects the 701's carry over grados.

Oct 4, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

I just read some review on RS1 at Headphonereview.com. I probably wont consider Grado RS1/2 since treble is not their forte. What will be the fair price to get a new GS1000? and where? Thank you !

Yeah thtey've got some treble roll-off that many times I like, but sometimes I wish there was more. Thats when I grab the A250.

Oct 4, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #30 of 47
I've yet to hear the GS1k, K1000, or K701 so take this FWIW but I have not heard a headphone that bests the HD650/Zu for strings (especially violin). The PS-1 is probably the only one I would say can compete but you lose the soundstage with it. W11JPN is close behind that.

I'd order a couple from Headroom and return the one you don't want
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back