Best headphone under 100$
Nov 19, 2011 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

guillaume smith

Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

Wishing to purchase a headphone under 100$, I'd like the best compromise for comfort.
Low Ohms for PC on Asus Xonar DS.

I thought about the Sony MDRXB700

Please, excuse my English.
In advance, thank you.

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #2 of 16
Semi-open headphones
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, with Beyer EDT 200 Velour ear pads.
Samson SR850 (made by Superlux).

Closed headphones
CALs (Creative Aurvana Live)

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 16
Closed:
Sony V6
KRK 6400
Shure SRH-440
Sennheiser HD448 

Open:
Sennheiser 555 (I see at least one online price at 100)
Audio Technica ADH-AT700 (should be able to find for less than 100)
Superlux HD668B

--

I have owned and enjoyed the bold-faced cans listed, and don't hesitate to recommend them. The others get good reviews, but I cannot speak for them personally. 

Do you have a sound signature you prefer? Lots of bass? Or something more geared towards rock, or female vocals, etc. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 16
Panasonic HTF-600 S, is by far THE best setup for under 100, I pair it with my XONAR DG, drives fine without an amp, sounds a little better with amp. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 16
the panasonic is a total fotm. it is decent for the price, has nice bass, but the mids and highs seem small compared to a sony v6 or a shure srh440.
for a closed headphone also consider jvc harx700 or 900.

the sony is the best all-rounder, the shure is more studio/enthusiest oriented, the jvcs and the panasonic are 'fun'. 

are u a gamer? then i would get the jvc harx900. audio purist? get the shure. basshead? panasonic or jvcs

all round best- the sony v6

the sony xb700 is also a big fluffy bassheads can. recessed in the high end tho

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gifthe panasonic is a total fotm. it is decent for the price, has nice bass, but the mids and highs seem small compared to a sony v6 or a shure srh440.
'. l round best- the sony v6

Beware of buying headphones from China and Hong Kong.

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
the panasonic is a total fotm. it is decent for the price, has nice bass, but the mids and highs seem small compared to a sony v6 or a shure srh440.
for a closed headphone also consider jvc harx700 or 900.

the sony is the best all-rounder, the shure is more studio/enthusiest oriented, the jvcs and the panasonic are 'fun'. 

are u a gamer? then i would get the jvc harx900. audio purist? get the shure. basshead? panasonic or jvcs

all round best- the sony v6

the sony xb700 is also a big fluffy bassheads can. recessed in the high end tho

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by 'audio purist?' Meaning the shures are most neutral/truest to the music recorded and the way it's supposed to sound? I haven't heard any shures before but I've always been intrigued. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
grado sr80i

I love Grado's and recommend them in a heartbeat - but not to anyone who mentions "comfort" as a primary criteria. 

Quote:
Beware of buying headphones from China and Hong Kong.

Always good advice. You can find the V6 at great prices without resorting to buying grey market from the far east. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 16
I wear eyeglasses, and the on-ear phones put a good amount of uncomfortable pressure as a result. I do love them though. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by 'audio purist?' Meaning the shures are most neutral/truest to the music recorded and the way it's supposed to sound? I haven't heard any shures before but I've always been intrigued. 

thats exactly what i mean. for this price range, the shures are one of the best at that

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Honestly, a modded t50rp can sound godly but they need serious amping.

I'm curious to try those - both stock and modded... someday soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back