Best headphone to use for 20GB iPod?
Jul 19, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 20
Koss Portapro.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Jul 19, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 20
The ones I like best with the iPod are the audio-technica ath-a100Ti, the blue ones available through audiocubes.com. I mainly use the iPod when I fly or travel and these are good, comfortable, isolated and unlike Etymotics are easy to remove when people come and bug you. Headphones are like a big sign that says "come bug me, I am dying to remove and replace these headphones". Etys are better but the overall experience is better.

Incidentally the new iPod (saw it at Macworld NY) is almost impossible to tell apart from the old iPod. The solid-state scroll wheel looks exactly like the old one and it is very difficult to detect any difference in feel. I had to look really hard at it to make sure I was using a new iPod and not the one I am used to.

Jul 19, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 20
I have an iPod, and I love the Koss KSP-35 with it. Very portable, very good-sounding. A match made in heaven!

The KSP-35 sounds quite similar to the SportaPro or PortaPro phones -- they all use the same drivers. Most people on this forum think that of the three, the KSP-35 sounds the best. It is also probably the most comfortable.

I looked around for an even better-sounding pair of headphones. I bought the Sennheiser HD-497, and I found that they sounded almost identical to the KSP-35, but they hurt my ears. Then I went to the headphone.com exhibition in San Francisco, where I tried on about 15 pairs of audiophile 'phones. To my ears, the winner was the Sennheiser HD-580, which sounded a little bit better than the Koss KSC-35, but they cost >$200 and they are not exactly intended for portable use. So, I have decided to abandon my search. I'm thrilled with the KSP-35.

Jul 19, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 20
Ety 4p's
Grado SR 60's
Sennheisser MX500's
Koss KSC 35/50's

I don't know what the new buds sound like that come with the new iPods, but my original ones left a lot to be desired.

Jul 19, 2002 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 20
What kind of bass and treble settings do the ipod's have? Are they anything like the new Sony MD's which have 8 steps of programmable bass/treble?

I think i may have to invest in a 20g sometime next year (sell off my MD equipment).

Jul 19, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #13 of 20
There are no separate bass or treble settings on the iPod. Instead, you can choose from 21 different equalizer settings. Unfortunately, you can't create a custom setting. Nevertheless, they are somewhat helpful. For example, to give my KSC-35s a little bit more midrange, I choose the "Lounge" or "Pop" settings.

Jack

Jul 20, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #14 of 20
aeberbach,

Glad to know someone actually own an ATH-A100Ti. Would you give us a review (on a new thread, may be) on this headphone? I'm considering buying it next time I go to Japan. Thanks!

Jul 20, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Ety 4p's
Grado SR 60's
Sennheisser MX500's
Koss KSC 35/50's

Throw in the ER6s and E888s and those are my choices exactly, lextek! They all sound wonderful (and wonderfully different) with the iPod.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back