Best headphone for listening to The Beatles?
Jul 21, 2006 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pentagonwizard

100+ Head-Fier
Title says it. What is your pick for Beatles listening? There can be one phone that does it for the entire Beatles catalogue, or perhaps a different phone for the different eras and albums of their career (from the beginning mono simple rock, to the psychadelic, the poppy, the big production, the acoustic, bluesy, etc).

Jul 21, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Gotta love the grados. The sound of the guitar on revolver with grados is something to behold.

qft

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 11
speakers, since the instrument seperation is way too much some times (yellow submarine, elinor rigby for example)

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 11
Cross-feed is useful because of serious left/right signals which can make you feel sea sick.

Although I really like the Jan Meier Cross Corda, it is subtle and may not give you enough cross-feed for something like the Beatles!! If it's painful, go mono.

Ian

Jul 21, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pentagonwizard
Title says it. What is your pick for Beatles listening? There can be one phone that does it for the entire Beatles catalogue, or perhaps a different phone for the different eras and albums of their career (from the beginning mono simple rock, to the psychadelic, the poppy, the big production, the acoustic, bluesy, etc).

Black Dragon GS1 is the Beatle Music Phone, scary

The RS-1 and MS-1 do a mighty fine job too..
I do not rec Crossfeed and am more of an audiophile and analog purist..with the right source in the rig and phones..the natural aural analog source sounds perfect and frankly awesome the way it is...and was originally recorded..

Scary part with the BDGS1 is it does not matter if I feed from MLno39, my Rotel971,Marantz63, or D-303 as a source...as these cans make nickel plated platinum, anything they touch
wink.gif

Helk, even listening out of my Rotel RC990BX Pre-Amp, the sounds of the first few seconds alone out of this preamp, and without a dedicated HP amp will make anyone blink in disbelief with a smile that reads (oh man I need these cans)..honest.

Tubes and the Grado cans do great on their older recordings, to help accentuate the lower register, pending the quality of your recordings..and noticed personally that the SS does nicely with everything including Rubber Soul and after...hope this helps!

I have lost a lot of sleep since the BDGS1's listening critically to the Beatles, fyi

MFSL Half Speed mastered on VV, LP.

Jul 21, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 11
Even though the Grado sound is not my preferred sonic signature I must say that they do excellent job with the Beatles. Also, crossfeed is strongly recommended - for me the foobar DSP plugin is sufficient.

Jul 21, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 11
Grado. However, depending upon what album and what version of the album, then you are left with deciding whether to use an HP-2 or RS-1 or other Grado. Nevertheless, Grado is The Beatle 'phone.

Jul 21, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
Grado. However, depending upon what album and what version of the album, then you are left with deciding whether to use an HP-2 or RS-1 or other Grado. Nevertheless, Grado is The Beatle 'phone.

I am getting this image . . . . of a pizza box . . . .
yes, it resembles a pizza box, but wait . . . .that is not a pizza!
what did they call those things?

um . . . a record, yes that's it an "LP" in the pizza box.

but wait, what's this underneath the album?
foam? . . . .

grado's hmmm . . . . .

what does this say on the side?

. . . . "These headphones to be used solely when listening to this one album, no others. When done listening, please return both the record and the headphones to the box. Thank you"

blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back