Best headphone for electronic music under 2000 dollars?
Nov 25, 2012 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

SmettMark

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a headphone primarily for electronic music listening. I will be using them at home, so I want them to be open or at least semi-open. I know that electronic music is best with closed cans, but I will also be listening to other genres like heavy metal and rock , plus I never owned an open can before so I'm quite curious to listen to one. So far, a few headphones have caught my attention:

Denon D5000/D7000: This one is said to have tons of bass and sub-bass, so it seems like a good choice.

Fostex TH900: This one is said to be made by the same guys who made the denons (fostex), so people say it's an improvement in every way. It's really expensive though, so I'm only getting it if it's really worth it.

HE400: I'm interested in this one since many people say it performs really well for electronic, and others saying "seriously, these were made for electronic"

Beyer DT990: This is said to be an open can with a closed cans bass, this caught me interest.

Sony SA5000: This one doesn't have that much bass, but people say it's excellent for electronic since it's extremely fast.

So, which one out of all of these would be the best choice for electronic music?

I would also like to point out that I didn't include the LCD-2/LCD-3 because comfort is a big factor to me, and these are said to be really heavy with a huge clamping force.

EDIT: Actually, I want a headphone that is good for both electronic and heavy metal.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 18
Grados are the king of rock/metal but the comfort on them is a hit and miss for some people.... Hmmmm I didn't hear anyone say the LCD's were uncomfortable and besides I think the big leather ear cups would lessen the clamping force.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 18
i have quite a few basshead cans which i use to listen to all forms of electronic & dance music, my lcd 2's arrive in 2 days so i cant comment yet, but due to the fact that you need or require them to be open, those seem like the only cans that will fit the bill, otherwise, going off my own expierence i would say without hesitation to get the xb1000's and a good amp, i'll chime in in a few days when i finally audition my lcd 2's

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #9 of 18
In my opinion a bass heavy headphone is not optimal for metal. Electronic can benefit from some extra bass, but I think neutral headphones do metal the best. Personally, I use my Q701 for everything. It's main use is for rock and metal, mostly progressive metal, but I do mix in some electronic sometimes. The speed and clarity are definitely there, but to truly be fun for electronic they could use more bass. Luckily my the E17 has bass boost, so I boost the bass a little when I listen to electronic music. 
L3000.gif

Quote:
well, I was looking for something open or semi-open since I will be using it for heavy metal as well .

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 18
I like my beyer DT770s, the XB1000s sound muddy and terrible.

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #11 of 18
I have both the he-400s and denon d5000s. I LOVE them both for electronic. Would live the fostex some day. Also Fostex is making a new closed headphone like the 900 but without the Japanese Traditional cup gloss. They will be all black and are said to be similar to the 900s only cheaper. http://www.head-fi.org/t/631594/fostex-th600-dynamic-headphones

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #12 of 18
Ultrasone Pro 2900 excels with EDM, and handles metal superbly.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 18
Heya,

No need building a $2K rig. $500 and under with a few exceptions, can do it fine. But I'll add some $2K rig level headphones.

Hifiman HE-400, HE-500, HE-5LE, HE-6
Ultrasone PRO 2900
Beyer DT880 PRO
LCD-1, LCD-2

Ultrasone Signature PRO
Mr Speakers Mad Dog (with STAX pads)
AudioTechnica A2000X, A1000X, A900X
Denon D5000, D7000, D7100
Fostex TH900
Kenwood DX1000

Very best,

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 18
I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not hearing the LCD with that music genre. If the LCD are too heavy, toss out the HEs but you're missing some serious performers in the orthos.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #15 of 18
If you've got $2k to spend I think the LCD2 amped with a WA6SE is fantastic for electronic and metal. If you decide on another headphone due to comfort issues, I still highly recommend the WA6SE. The PR&T is outstanding for electronic and metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back