Best Headphone for EDM, House, Trance, Dubstep, Electronic
Dec 7, 2011 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

rehpotsirhc

New Head-Fier
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones (first time getting a serious pair of headphones so I want to buy the right pair).
I listen to a lot of EDM (electronic dance music), House, Electronic/Techno, Dubstep, Trance, etc., essentially electronic music with a good amount of bass.

So I'm looking for a pair of headphones that 
a. have good bass (that doesn't sound 'bloated') and are still superb in other areas (treble, etc.). While bass is important to me, I dont' want it to be the only good thing about the headphones or have the bass extremely overpower the rest of the music. 
b. Good at lessening/muting surrounding ambient noises as well as don't leak too much sound. 
b. price range $150ish and under.

c. are good to be used with laptop/iPod without the assistance of an amp.

I've been looking around and the headphones that seem to have a good amount of favorable reviews for this type of music are:
Shure (SRH840), AiAiAi TMA1, Sennheiser HD280, AKG K 240 Studio, Audio Technica ATH M50, DENON AH D1100, Beyerdynamic DT 770, and Sony MDR CD3000.

I was also looking at Monster Studio Beats because I thought they're noise-cancellation was pretty good but the price for Studio Beats are a little too high for the sound quality I heard. If you have an opinion on studio beats, please let me know too. 

But anyways was wondering if anyone would suggest a particular pair of headphones to me from the ones listed (and why?) or if there were any I overlooked?

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:

I'm looking to get a new pair of headphones (first time getting a serious pair of headphones so I want to buy the right pair).
I listen to a lot of EDM (electronic dance music), House, Electronic/Techno, Dubstep, Trance, etc., essentially electronic music with a good amount of bass.

a. have good bass (that doesn't sound 'bloated') and are still superb in other areas (treble, etc.). While bass is important to me, I dont' want it to be the only good thing about the headphones or have the bass extremely overpower the rest of the music. 
b. Good at lessening/muting surrounding ambient noises as well as don't leak too much sound. 

I've been looking around and the headphones that seem to have a good amount of favorable reviews for this type of music are:
Shure (SRH840), AiAiAi TMA1, Sennheiser HD280, AKG K 240 Studio, Audio Technica ATH M50, DENON AH D1100, Beyerdynamic DT 770, and Sony MDR CD3000.

I was also looking at Monster Studio Beats because I thought they're noise-cancellation was pretty good but the price for Studio Beats are a little too high for the sound quality I heard. If you have an opinion on studio beats, please let me know too. 

But anyways was wondering if anyone would suggest a particular pair of headphones to me from the ones listed (and why?) or if there were any I overlooked?

Thanks!

Ultrasone HFI 580 or DJ1 (same headphone, two different styles)
Shure SRH750 DJ
Panasonic HTF600

Very best,

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 17
I 3X the HFI-580. They are going for around $145 on Amazon. One of the best cans you can get for EDM. I have the DJ1s which is a black n white version of them.. Go for it you wont be disappointed.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 17
In your list, for all rounder music i ll say SRH840, but for EDM HFi580 is easily the best in your price range.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 17
HFI-580 is pretty low-fi, I'd say it's a stones throw from Bose or Monster Beats if that's your thing, nothing special unless all you want is monotone bass. HFI-780 are quite a lot better however like all Ultrasones they're tailored for electronic music, if that's all you you ever listen too they're fine.  The Sony CD3000 is in another league, these things will run circles around Denons D7000 however being discontinued you'll have to chance buying used.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
HFI-580 is pretty low-fi, I'd say it's a stones throw from Bose or Monster Beats if that's your thing, nothing special unless all you want is monotone bass.

I ll like much more low-fi like this
rolleyes.gif
and Monster must be happy to be compared with Ultrasone,lol.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 17
LOL, it seems like HFI-580 is the consensus. Thanks so much!
I'm worried about the build as I read somewhere they're not as sturdily made as the ATH-M50's.

I was having trouble between HFI-580's and ATH-M50's, but it seems (from reading around Head-Fi) that the HFI-580 performs better than the ATH-M50's?
Probably going to purchase the HFI-580's. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
I'm worried about the build as I read somewhere they're not as sturdily made as the ATH-M50's.

Hfi580 is very solid, good build quality. Lot of plastic (face plates are aluminum), but good and thick. M50 has slightly more metal, but Hfi580 is much better looking imo.

Quote:
I was having trouble between HFI-580's and ATH-M50's, but it seems (from reading around Head-Fi) that the HFI-580 performs better than the ATH-M50's?

For my taste, yes, much better.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:

Thanks!

Several recommendations for the Ultrasone HFI 580...

I've not heard them, but I have the HFI 780 and think they would suit your tastes really well.
And at the moment, you can get them for your price = $150.00 (returnable).
IIRC they're usually around $250.

I'd jump on that, frankly - IMO they're better phones than any you listed in your OP, and obviously
Ultrasone themselves positions them as better than their 580 model.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-780-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101XVH2

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #14 of 17
Not really, I have the HFI-780 myself.  The HFI models (580, 680, 780) are not numbered in order of "quality," per se, and are not better or worse than each other.  The 580 is a very bassy can, the 680 is fairly neutral, at least as far as an Ultrasone can be while still retaining their house sound, and the 780 is in-between.  They did tend to go for $200+, though they've been near the $150 mark for a number of months, but it's unclear how long they will stay so low.  If he's comparing them to the Beats the 780 probably won't be bassy enough, but the 580 hopefully will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back