Best HeadAmp for HD650 for under $450
Mar 11, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by tonyjang
okay i think i'm crazy but after reading into the PPA... suddenly i don't want the MkII anymore. is this sick or what
frown.gif
someone set me straight... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I do think that one should take time over this. I love this place but the level of unbridled enthusiasm for flavours of the month here I find is not very helpful at times. One ends up buying the current "flavour" and then 3 months later suddenly it is a bit out of favour and there is suddenly a new GREAT product and the buyer's remorse creeps in ("Perhaps I should have waited a bit longer").

One thing I can say is that Jan Meier and the Corda amps have a rock solid reputation and my next headamp purchase may well be the Corda HA-2 (which I know is outside your price range).

Peter

Mar 12, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #17 of 34
Eddie Current HD300 has the reputation of Moth behind it and some very positive initial reviews. The fact that it allows multiple sources is a big plus in my book, plus preamp capabilities. I'll admit to being a big Moth fan. But that's after spending two months with the HD300 prototype and several weeks now with the Si2A3.

Mar 30, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #19 of 34
Why not Corda? I'm relatively happy with my Corda HA-1. I used to own Headroom Max in the past, and I found Corda to be quite a deal for 1/4 of Max's price. Sure there were some differences (less powerful/less definition/less dynamic), but for only around $300 its very good (plus it comes w/ crossfeed). HA-2 offers nearly same peformance of Prehead for significantly less $$$.

Perreaux is a good alternative (get v0.5 or later in case you want to use your amp with low impedance cans), but it is difficult to find (depends on where you live I guess).

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
I would suggest the Perreaux or a used Gilmore if you can find one.

Ditto.

The senns go very well with gilmores.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan the audioman
Ditto.

The senns go very well with gilmores.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Me too. I've had both the Perreaux and a gilmore V2, and definately prefer the gilmore with the HD600s and 650s. The main difference I hear is that the Perreaux sounds slightly soft and blurred (may be pleasing to some ears) compared to the razor sharp focus of the Gilmore. The Gilmore tightens the sound up more, and this may also be why the sound of the gilmore varies more as you swap out sources. The Perreaux sounds more consistent from source to source. I still prefer the Gilmore on any of my sources, but the decision is a bit more difficult on my RME soundcard - things can get a tad dry and harsh with the gilmore (not the amp's fault).

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #22 of 34
How about the woo audio headphone amp that CWCalk just reviewed? Seems a great bargain for $390.

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #23 of 34
Not only that, I've fired a few emails to WooAudio and he has a wooAudio-I with preamp capabilities in the works, just about ready! Talk about best of both worlds! He says you can use it as a preamp AND headphone amp at the same time! My interest is piqued.

Mar 31, 2004 at 11:42 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin
Eddie Current HD300 has the reputation of Moth behind it and some very positive initial reviews. The fact that it allows multiple sources is a big plus in my book, plus preamp capabilities. I'll admit to being a big Moth fan. But that's after spending two months with the HD300 prototype and several weeks now with the Si2A3.

my money is on the eddie current HD300 (literally!)
600smile.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:53 PM Post #25 of 34
I too would take the hd 300 over the Woo, and I did buy the hd 300. The hd 300 has been auditioned by several head-fi members and all their comments were overwhelmingly positive; as was the single review on the Woo. However, even though the sound quality should be excellent with both, the value of the Eddie Current hd 300 sets it apart, IMO.

Another amp to consider is the singlepower ppx3. The price is slightly above $450, and its a headamp only for that price, but the ppx3 is a wonderful sounding amp. The build quality, new styling, and again sound quality, are first rate.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #27 of 34
If you must singlepower, Maestro. I'm so tempted to take the introductory discounted price. If only my wife would agree.

Mar 31, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari
Where is the discounted introductory price listed?!?!?
eek.gif

Got a link??

gsferarri, goto the singlepower homepage and click on "Descriptions and Prices"

Read through that text and you'll find it. It says and I quote:

"The Maestro headphone/preamp is our latest offering. The
Maestro is available for $2300 for Head-fi members for a
limited time. Retail will be $3095 in full production. We
can build a Maestro within 4 weeks."

Mar 31, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #30 of 34
Hey Kartik & GSferarri,

If you guys are thinking about getting the Maestro at the discounted price then you better hurry up. I spoke to Mikhail last week about the Maestro and he told me he only has two units left at the discounted price. After that he'll be starting the new production line which will sell at full price ($3095).

P.S. Guess who snatched one of them (
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
evil_smiley.gif
)

Only one left now.
Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back